Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Radioactive ores  (Read 3370 times)

Canuck-Errant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Radioactive ores
« on: August 23, 2006, 11:23:00 pm »

Alright, this suggestion might seem a bit masochistic, but-

Why not add - probably after many, many other suggestions have been put in - radioactive ores to Dwarf Fortress?

...I can't think of a single good reason why other than the fun of incinerating dying outposts in nuclear holocaust fireballs, though - but isn't that reason enough?

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Radioactive ores
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 11:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Canuck-Errant:
<STRONG>...I can't think of a single good reason why other than the fun of incinerating dying outposts in nuclear holocaust fireballs, though - but isn't that reason enough?</STRONG>

Would make cool traps for killing off the extremely tough enemies.  :D

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 01:16:00 am »

*Ponks a baddie on the head with a u-236 rock trap*

kek

HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 01:25:00 am »

"Bloog Flimflam, Alchemist cancels Purify Uranium: Nuclear explosion."

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 07:00:00 am »

Would be fun

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 07:40:00 am »

...'42, I never thought you'd actually go and post this as a suggestion.

How that you have, though, it gets my support. Makes a much more impressive self-destruct system than just flooding the whole base.

Stonefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 08:18:00 am »

It's concievable that the dwarves might come across uranium, but there is no way they'd understand any of it's properties, except for possibly observing that it makes dwarves sick if they inhale the dust from it.  These dwarves don't even have the tools available to people from the 1800s that would enable them to make any real observations about radioactive materials, let alone something that would enable them to split an atom.

I don't see how any of this fits the character of the game as it has developed so far, and I think it should be left to a modern/sci-fi/steampunk/hybrid setting, not high fantasy such as this.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 08:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Stonefish:
<STRONG>I don't see how any of this fits the character of the game as it has developed so far, and I think it should be left to a modern/sci-fi/steampunk/hybrid setting, not high fantasy such as this.</STRONG>

A wizard did it!

But seriously, bombs might be too much but surely the alchemist's shop could do something useful.  Besides, radioactive ores will probably make your miners ill, so I'm sure Toady will be all for this one.

:D

aoanla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 08:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Stonefish:
<STRONG>It's concievable that the dwarves might come across uranium, but there is no way they'd understand any of it's properties, except for possibly observing that it makes dwarves sick if they inhale the dust from it.  These dwarves don't even have the tools available to people from the 1800s that would enable them to make any real observations about radioactive materials, let alone something that would enable them to split an atom.</STRONG>

On the contrary: uranium ores were used before the discovery of radioactivity - most notably as a dopant to glass, producing a yellowish-green glass with a slightly glowing effect in dim light. Of course, this didn't involve purification of the radioactive metals (indeed, the concentration of radioisotopes in pitchblende is pretty low), but it did happen.

As for splitting the atom, you don't really need any particular skill to do that, inefficiently (other than knowing how to protect yourself from radiation sickness). The major issues with the atomic bomb were to get a chain reaction to occur in supercritical masses; you can generate heat (and deadly levels of alpha and beta particles) with sub-critical masses just by shoving enough radioactive material into a small space...

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 08:41:00 am »

About Radioactive Ore, the fun would not be in creating nuclear bombs, but to have the dwarfs which stay to close from this slowly rotting (with all kind of mutation. Look at ADOM : Is choas not strangely close to some random mutation slowly letting you rot).

What to do with it ? Maybe just avoiding that area. Create some trap with it, or let the ALchemist to brew some mutating beverage, hoping that the amont will be just good enough to have benefical mutations...

Someone complained that there where not enough ways to die.. That would be a new one !

aoanla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 08:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by flap:
<STRONG>About Radioactive Ore, the fun would not be in creating nuclear bombs, but to have the dwarfs which stay to close from this slowly rotting (with all kind of mutation. Look at ADOM : Is choas not strangely close to some random mutation slowly letting you rot).

What to do with it ? Maybe just avoiding that area. Create some trap with it, or let the ALchemist to brew some mutating beverage, hoping that the amont will be just good enough to have benefical mutations...

Someone complained that there where not enough ways to die.. That would be a new one !</STRONG>

Quite so! Radiation poisoning seems like a nice additional means of fatality (and a more complex one, if a noble suddenly decides he wants a uranium coffer or something...).

Stonefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 11:11:00 am »

As much as I enjoy Fallout and other post-holocaust style setting, I've never really considered nuclear weapons to have a place in fantasy, especially Tolkien and D&D style fantasy as this game is.  However, since I'm obviously in the minority, I'll bow out of this argument gracefully.

I would like to request that, should this make it into the game, there is an option to turn it off in the init file, as I'm sure I'm not the only person out there who would dislike this addition.

[ August 24, 2006: Message edited by: Stonefish ]

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 11:33:00 am »

Well, it does not deal with nuclear Weapon, but with corruption. Which is 100% fantasy. Maybe you could call that Chaotic ore then...

Anyway, Toady is the one who decides !

Stonefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 11:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by flap:
<STRONG>Well, it does not deal with nuclear Weapon, but with corruption. Which is 100% fantasy. Maybe you could call that Chaotic ore then...

Anyway, Toady is the one who decides !</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by Canuck-Errant:
<STRONG>...I can't think of a single good reason why other than the fun of incinerating dying outposts in nuclear holocaust fireballs, though - but isn't that reason enough?</STRONG>

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »

Yep, Everybody has got his point of view apparently.

Thus my last remark

Pages: [1] 2 3 4