Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Alternative Energy  (Read 5961 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Energy
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 11:53:41 am »

Maybe you can already sorta do this, maybe. I never tried. But have you tried hooking up some gears to a pump that's dwarf-operated?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 11:56:40 am »

Maybe you can already sorta do this, maybe. I never tried. But have you tried hooking up some gears to a pump that's dwarf-operated?
I've had strings of pumps connected to each other - a dwarf manually powering a pump only has the ability to power that one pump, not all of them. (Sadly.) Of course, my observation may have been faulty - but I suspect not.

However, dwarfwheels would be pretty excellent.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 12:37:51 pm »

I would love to see animal power in game, using my goblin slaves to power my mill and my pump towers for example. I think of Conan also and playing as a character with a similar background as Conan in adventure mode might be interesting.

The solution to the shortage of fuel for furnaces however should be solvable with better woodland management. I'd like to be able to coppice trees and even plant my own. The problem of being in a biome that doesn't support trees would still be a problem however, I'd question setting up a major metalworking industry in such an area anyway. In the future I hope to be able to send out dwarves and set up lumber outposts or similar.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 12:50:35 pm »

The problem of being in a biome that doesn't support trees would still be a problem however, I'd question setting up a major metalworking industry in such an area anyway.
Burrowing into the sand means you can grow crops, and if you can grow pig tail, you can trade pig tail cloth to your Mountainhome for towercap logs. You can do the same with humans as well. Remember to make wood the highest priority every time you have the opportunity.

Just make sure you embark with some pigtail seeds or you're hooped.
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 01:31:40 pm »

Ah, but if you burrow into the ground you get stone, and then you can create mechanisms. If you don't bring a pick you're hooped, but every DF player should embark with at least a single pick or they will have the right to dwarves revoked.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 08:03:22 am »

I would love to see animal power in game, using my goblin slaves to power my mill and my pump towers for example. I think of Conan also and playing as a character with a similar background as Conan in adventure mode might be interesting.

The solution to the shortage of fuel for furnaces however should be solvable with better woodland management. I'd like to be able to coppice trees and even plant my own. The problem of being in a biome that doesn't support trees would still be a problem however, I'd question setting up a major metalworking industry in such an area anyway. In the future I hope to be able to send out dwarves and set up lumber outposts or similar.

"Urist!  What is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2009, 08:31:21 am »

Remember that slavery is not socially acceptable in the dorf civilization, so goblin slave powered wheels aren't possible. it would be possible making mule powered ones, though, finally giving those animals a use. I'm gonna post this in the suggestion section lol

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 12:13:04 pm »

"Urist!  What is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."

Hah hah, Conan's line. Good one. Even if it is a really old film, horribly played. With Schwarzenegger for extra dumb warrior stereotype.

Anyways.

I'd hook up my cats to the wheels as soon as possible. Hell, they're small, you could hook up 50 of them easily to one wheel. For great power!

Hmm, maybe creature size would then decide how many can you use on one wheel?
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 12:35:57 pm »

You have 50 slots which can hold a maximum of 50 size of creature, and have each animal produce power equal to its size (plus strength? would 3 cats really equal a donkey?). Seems a pretty elegant way to do it, if you ask me.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 03:30:44 pm »

Oooh, another idea. You could have alternative energy source for heating up stuff. Dragons. Or broader, any fire-producing creature.

Once you tame it, you could use it in furnaces and such to power it up.

Oooh, another idea again. Steam energy. By heating up water, you could create tremendous pressure, usable in some way probably.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 03:45:45 pm »

Or, we could just do it the same way we do it with cages - infinite animal storage!

of course, presumably one animal-powered wheel would have an energy limit.

I think we need burnable crops. Cave wheat, for instance, should be capable of being a substitute for needing to burn wood (Or some other plant, preferable woody).

Also, the problem with steam energy is that, presumably, it requires water and fire/magma. Its more of an indirect source.

Tlaon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 03:49:33 pm »

Also, the problem with steam energy is that, presumably, it requires water and fire/magma. Its more of an indirect source.
Unless there are natural geothermal vents/geysers that produce steam on their own.  Of course, I guess it still takes water and magma, just not your water and magma.  Also, it's hard to imagine steam being used to forge things.  Steam that's hot enough would be very dangerous to work around.  It's not nearly as controllable as magma or fire.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 04:37:55 pm »

I doubt the suggestion for a steam-based energy source was so that one could forge things with the steam. I suspect it was more along the lines of using turbines moved by the steam in place of wheels moved by water or blades moved by wind. :P
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]

Tlaon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 04:41:49 pm »

I doubt the suggestion for a steam-based energy source was so that one could forge things with the steam. I suspect it was more along the lines of using turbines moved by the steam in place of wheels moved by water or blades moved by wind. :P
Heh.  That makes a lot more sense.  On the other hand, the OP was about waterwheels powering forges, which makes steam seem a lot more reasonable.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2009, 06:34:30 pm »

No, a water wheel in no way could ever power any sort of fuel reliant forge. I mean to say that there is no possibility that a water wheel's energy could in any way, shape, or form generate the heat nesicary to melt metal products in a non-electrical forge. And sense electricty does not exist in Dwarf Fortress, no, it wouldn't.

The only way I could see forgres running on things besides magma and coal is the posibility that you burn a product like peat to keep the fire going.

Oooh, another idea. You could have alternative energy source for heating up stuff. Dragons. Or broader, any fire-producing creature.

Once you tame it, you could use it in furnaces and such to power it up.

Oooh, another idea again. Steam energy. By heating up water, you could create tremendous pressure, usable in some way probably.

Alright, sounds good, but the only fire-producing animals exist around magma, if you had magma, you wouldn't need the fire from the creatures. Also, if you have no coal, logs, ect, how would you heat the water?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:36:18 pm by zarmazarma »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7