Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Alternative Energy  (Read 5942 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alternative Energy
« on: August 17, 2009, 06:57:03 am »

I believe, that to secure a metalsmithingful future for our posterity, we must limit our dependence on fossil fuels and magma. What do we do when there are is no magma, coal, nor trees? Our metalworking industry simply collapses, or worse yet, never forms.
We truly ought to look into forms of alternative energy. 3 waterwheels could surely power a forge, could they not? Yet we continue to burn trees that take forever to grow back or coal which never even grows back in order to fuel our industry. For the good of the dwarven race, we must limit our dependence on wood imports from evil radical elves for charcoal production!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Energy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 07:01:55 am »

A water wheel is no substitute for a blast furnace. So I disagree
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:02:56 am »

Sure it would. However, without some heat to soften the metal, actually forging things would be difficult even with mechanical assistance. You could make cold iron things that way though, which is supposed to be harmful to demons (or devils?). In any case, unless you plan to make heat by atomsmashing pitchblende, a purely mechanical forge will not be able to produce anything beyond a limited set of iron items. And you would still need to get smelted metal bars from somewhere.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:25:05 am »

I dont think that it qualifies as a forge if you are not forging things ::)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 07:32:52 am »

On the other hand, I could see gears operating some piece of machinery that operated a bellows in a Wood Furnace, permitting us to make charcoal or ash with a greatly reduced work duration.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 07:38:44 am »

Well, cold iron is really "forged", if you consider hammering stuff into shape forging. It just isn't heated up prior to hammering. So, that way you could turn iron bars into iron weapons without heating, it would just require an inordinate amount of effort. Or a powered hammer doing 180HPM (Hammerings Per Minute).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:51:38 am »

(Hammerings Per Minute)

An automated Justice implement dishing out Hammerings to criminals brought to the jail?

Urist McMandateevader cancels Contemplate Machinery: Mind blown.
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 09:21:55 am »

A water wheel?  Are ye daft?  In order t'forge somethin', ye gotta be able te heat it oop!  What we need here is jest a matter o' a new sort o' fuel!  Oh, aye, somethin' flammable an' plentiful an' somethin' we dunnae care about losin'.  Somethin' that keeps comin' back no matter how many we seem t'get rid of.

... Like Goblins!
... or Nobles!
... or cats!

</Dwarven Accent>
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 09:37:21 am »

Elf powered forges.

Alternatively, if you have a large excess of booze...
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:31:39 am »

What! Wasting booze in such a manner! Heretic!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 10:43:07 am »

I'm sure booze-flavored furnaces will be widely accepted through the dwarven empire. Then problems will arise when some sober dwarf smells the beer used to make the weapons the guard uses and somehow impales themselves trying to lick said weapons.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 11:24:23 am »

What do we do when there are is no magma

BLASPHEMY! There is ALWAYS magma!
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 11:41:11 am »

On the other hand, I could see gears operating some piece of machinery that operated a bellows in a Wood Furnace, permitting us to make charcoal or ash with a greatly reduced work duration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 02:06:01 pm »

Uh, Pilsu is right: the point of making charcoal is to combust wood in a low-oxygen environment.  Billows are the opposite of what you want in a charcoal furnace.

It would be awesome, and more appropriate, for standard forges to use mechanical bellows though.  Charcoal and coke won't burn hot enough without extra oxygen.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 04:15:10 pm »

Uh, Pilsu is right: the point of making charcoal is to combust wood in a low-oxygen environment.  Billows are the opposite of what you want in a charcoal furnace.

It would be awesome, and more appropriate, for standard forges to use mechanical bellows though.  Charcoal and coke won't burn hot enough without extra oxygen.
Er. My bad. This dwarf is not really up on his woodburning. On the other hand, would be appropriate for ash production.
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7