Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bed Order Suspended Because Site Was Blocked by bed  (Read 503 times)

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
Bed Order Suspended Because Site Was Blocked by bed
« on: August 17, 2009, 03:26:17 am »

Howdy.  I was building beds so the dwarves could quit cracking their heads on the rough stone floor, when I got a message that one "build bed" order had been suspended because an item was blocking the site.  I had guessed it was a similar situation to when my dwarves wouldn't build a wall because there was a rock of the exact material I wanted them to use for the wall on the tile.

Strangely like the wall problem, when I found the offending object, it was the bed.  It had not been built, just dropped in the exact location where I had ordered it built, but no one seems to want to build it.

Sure, I can fix it by moving the bed, but found this a bit annoying.

Edit:  Messed up title.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Bed Order Suspended Because Site Was Blocked by bed
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:49:06 am »

I can't duplicate this.  I started up a new fortress, made a bed at the workshop, had them build it to get it out of the workshop, and then removed it.  Then I tried to build it on the tile it was lying on.  It worked fine.

Are you sure it was the same bed and not another identical-looking bed that was tasked/forbidden?

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:37:28 pm »

Dwarves are really scare of screwing up constructions, so when you designate a construction order, its an exact item, not just a material.  You probably had another bed waiting ot be built, and that was it, just like with the wall.

Just wait until that other bed/wall is built
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 12:40:29 pm »

You can get cancellations that sound similar to this if you build lots of objects next to each other (for example, mark two beds to be built next to each other, or a bed and a cabinet). What happens is that two dwarves move in to build the items, arrive near-simultaneously, the first one clears off his space to build his item and starts the "construction" process, the second one clears his space and puts the offending debris on the first dwarf's square (thereby causing a cancellation), then the second dwarf finishes his construction.

Typically the blocking items are stones, but they could be anything. To make matters worse, the items can be hidden if you like doing that kind of thing.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels