Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Dwarven Caravan No Longer Visits  (Read 2254 times)

Kuriak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Dwarven Caravan No Longer Visits
« on: August 16, 2009, 11:53:16 pm »

I am on year 10 of my 100-population above-ground fort. I havn't gotten a Dwarven caravan the last two Autumns. The year before they stopped coming the wagons were ambushed by goblins and one merchant and one wagon were destroyed. I thought Dwarven caravans returned under any circumstances? Not even a Liason, who I believe is alive. There are no foreign Dwarves or wagons lingering on the map.

I just noticed that there are two Dwarven civilizations in the Civ window. Not sure whether this may be affecting my caravans.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:14:22 am by Kuriak »

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Dwarven Caravan No Longer Visits
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:34:32 am »

Are you the last remnant of your civilization? Did the rest of the caravan trade succesfully? Did you have two dwarven civilizations before? Do you recognize which one you belong to?
Give me more to work with, man!
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Kuriak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:09:29 am »

Are you the last remnant of your civilization? Did the rest of the caravan trade succesfully? Did you have two dwarven civilizations before? Do you recognize which one you belong to?
Give me more to work with, man!

I don't recall having two civilizations before, but I may have. Not really something I paid attention to until it was relevant. I do know which one of the two I belong to. (I do not have any trade records or agreements with the other). I don't think I traded with the caravan, it all headed back, but I might have met with the liason. I am not all that is left of my civilization.

Also just a note, from what I have read it seems being the last remnant of your civilization doesn't stop caravans oddly enough.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 01:14:02 am »

Is there any weirdness with the leader screen of either civilization, and are you sure every single dwarf left? is there perhaps a trader still stuck on the map, meaning no more caravans with spawn?

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:41:06 pm »

Well, either:
A: Theres a trader still on the map
B: The constant goblin ambushes have scared them off (unlikely)
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Kuriak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:48:59 pm »

Is there any weirdness with the leader screen of either civilization, and are you sure every single dwarf left? is there perhaps a trader still stuck on the map, meaning no more caravans with spawn?

The leader screen of my mother civilization has only 4 inviduals, a king, two mayors, and a recruit, which I find a little odd. The other civ has about 7 people, with a ruler.

I have thoroughly checked my 'z' status screen and there are no foreigners in my Fortress. Is there a more sound way to check for lingering merchants? If I have one of the caravan's horses, will I have the same problem? Is it time for horse genocide?

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 05:06:50 pm »

Are you absolutley sure that the liason is alive? I've read that his death can scare off the caravan for a while. This also might just be a bug with having two different dwarven civilizations, in which case there is nothing you can do (I think).

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:04:38 am »

Similar report here.

I have had one caravan since game start.  My second caravan might have come, had I not been under siege by some orcs.  No caravan even showed up.

I haven't gotten one since, even when I'm not sieged that autumn.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:31:12 am »

Perhaps there are not enough dwarves in your founding civilization to act as traders. Is the King going to go sell stuff? What about a Mayor? You might be the first case of a dead founding civilization in game (I know they happen in world gen). You may now effectively be alone in the world.

Do you still get immigrants?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:36:06 am »

Immigrants are created from thin air when they arrive on-map. I believe the same is true of caravans, though I'm not absolutely certain.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 06:22:01 pm »

Agreed w/ Derakon.

Maybe I just need to change the Orcs' active season... which would make this a more appropriate topic for the modding forum.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 02:33:15 pm »

This is going on for me too, for two consecutive autumns - though I've been sieged by goblins those past two autumns as well, so I thought this was intentional.  I also haven't received any migrants in almost three years, and I'm constantly developing.

Sorry for the lack of details, I'll post again after inspecting my fortress for the conditions listed here and get back to you.  I really didn't think it was a bug until I saw this thread.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 09:28:13 pm »

If a siege arrives before a caravan would normally arrive, the caravan will not visit your site that year. Diplomats will usually show up during the next season (if there isn't another siege - if there is, they'll keep waiting - it's perfectly possible for the both the Elf and Human diplomats to show up at the same time at the beginning of autumn because there were sieges during the spring and summer).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

makute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 09:14:59 am »

You might be the first case of a dead founding civilization in game (I know they happen in world gen). You may now effectively be alone in the world.

Sorry for necroing, but I have a related question and the search nor the wiki do not help me much today (or my searching skills sucks, probable the later).

The Organized Pillar, a dwarven civ with no fortresses nor cities, (at least, no one that shows on Your Civilization at the embark screen) is efectively destroyed? The Neighbours screen shows the four main races, including dwarves. Will I receive traders and/or migrants from another dwarven civ? Are my starting seven the last and only of their mother civ?

PD: Jut embarked and found so far: No leaders, at war with elves, forest and ponds freezes in early spring, plenty of obsidian and a pack of unicorns. I like where this is going.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:26:07 am by makute »

ArneHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 02:02:13 pm »

Another bump, another problem, I have a well established fort, but I am not receiving any caravans from any civilization. The whole thing started when an elven caravan was ambushed by goblins after I was done trading with them. No caravan has arrived since then.

Also, I am not receiving any migrants at all. I am however getting diplomats from both the elves and the Humans.

Edit: Whoops, didn't notice this was for [40d] and not [40d16].

Edit 2: having read this thread thoroughly it seems my problem as described is different from the others listed, so I think I will start a new thread for it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 06:19:49 pm by ArneHD »