Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ok fresh map, new adventurer, how do you make money?  (Read 4180 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ok fresh map, new adventurer, how do you make money?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 05:34:01 am »

1. Find Guard.
2. Ignite Tree.
3. ?
4. Profit.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 05:45:43 am »

1. Light underpants on fire.
2. Drop underpants on sleeping couple.
3. If you honestly can't pick what happens next, you are an idiot.
4. Profit!

Alternatively, accept quest, go to quest site (usually a cave, that becomes locatable on the map) and try and get all the loot that is invariably scattered around the place, avoiding the monster you were meant to kill.

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 10:17:33 am »

Well, i had luck with piecewise being nice and all, answering my all starting initial questions... looks like not all share the same luck.

So i'll try to answer some q's for you:

1. Curently money in adventure mode is not so necesary because you get equipment from dead comarades that follow you and get killed in the process. (OR if you are strong enough to go raid fortresses and kill master soldiers and getting their stuff)
2. To get commerades just talk to them in towns (go search for them in houses or around the tavern you start in) if they don't want to join you go skill up your skills
3. To skill up your skills just wonder around wilderness and kill stuff (mainly in green trees, forests) and get a high wrestling skill
4. To get a high wrestling skill just hit once or twice a creature preferably a bear or cougar, till it's injured and no longer a threat, and then hit ''c'' for combat prefference and press ''a'' to cycle through till you reach close combat, then just keep on walking into the creature to perform several wrestling techniques on it, after you're done with the creature (either accidentally strangeling it or died of bleeding) move on to the next creature

Don't Forget!

When you meet the next enemy you will msot likely be still in close combat mode, so switch back to according to opponent option, and battle with it, then repeat steps from number 4

Another advice: don't mess around when you're fighting wolf packs.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 11:25:56 am »

pick a civ then loot its shops(weapon /armor then junk) for goods and cash,then kill any thing that trys to stop you.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 11:30:51 am »

Find a goblin city, kill everyone, take their giant cave spider silk underwear and trade it to human merchants or whatever.  Also try not to die.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 05:03:54 pm »

Also try not to die.

That's the first rule of life.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 05:24:10 pm »

Yes, but I tend to forget it while enacting a massacre.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 09:44:57 am »

I play DF like a more brutal version of Sam Fisher. Sneak, kill. Sneak, kill. Repeat until everyone is sleeping with the carp.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 05:58:34 pm »

The cave problem:

Showing caves automatically is not in the .init file: in fact, it's a setting you can toggle on and off when creating worlds (it's in the worldgen parameters). You probably didn't turn the setting on, and that leaves a few methods of how to find caves. You can either wander around the world for aeons or you can ask around about the surroundings at various towns. If there's a cave in the vicinity, it will then appear on your world map for both Fort Mode and Adventurer Mode.

That's about all I know, however.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 01:50:58 pm »

Don't you have to ask villagers about where they live or whatever to find caves?

Basically ask around and people will tell you where caves are.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 07:52:16 am »

Your first priority when you start in adventure mode is try to skill up. Wolf packs can be nasty, so hope for cougars to start with. If you get lucky and find a zombie to fight, you can reach legendary wrestler in record time since zombies don't bleed, and strangling causes bleed damage. You can essentially strangle a zombie for months until you get Legendary+5 wrestling. You may also want to level your throwing skill, picking up rocks and throwing them at the ground will net you 30 exp so you should probably level that and carry some pebbles or arrows.

Once you're fairly strong, go accept quests. Semi-megabeasts often have a ton of random loot strewn around their homes, it's a good place to start. Eventually you'll get strong enough to raid towns or towers, that's where the real money is.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 08:21:02 am »

If you can live long enough to kill some1 - whether its a human elf or goblin, the cave spider stuff is worth a lot.

Pilfering caves and old fortresses also works or just being around after some1 dies (their stuff will be scattered around).

The main problem is when you have too much money and u have to lug it around and THEN you find it's worth nothing in the next town =s

Eurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 12:27:03 am »

even if you have it set to show things like caves, doesn't that only apply to the embark screen?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2009, 12:58:14 pm »

even if you have it set to show things like caves, doesn't that only apply to the embark screen?

Nope, I'm pretty sure it "reveals" them permanently for everyone.

Eurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 07:29:48 pm »

Well the only thing I've found about it in the init is the SHOW_EMBARK settings which even say it's in embark.
Pages: 1 [2] 3