Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Zork is kinda fun.  (Read 3019 times)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zork is kinda fun.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 01:34:28 am »

I loved how in Beyond Zork, you spent half the game searching for this artifact, only to discover god-like beings playing catch with it :D

magellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 02:32:08 am »

Every real computer gamer who was playing games in that era has a box or desk drawer full of maps.  Maybe hand-drawn...maybe graphed in a primitive CAD program...but yeah, hand-mapping it is important.

Who would use a computer to draw their maps? Not everybody had an amiga or Mac with windows and mouse. Some had to use dos. Not to mention the fun of swapping floppys to load the CAD program/store the map. Nah. Using a computer to map is highly impractical. But yeah kids: that is where your block of graph paper, pencil and eraser was, in the day back when, where you have your mousepads today :)
Prospector, my space exploration roguelike:
http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 03:25:22 am »

MEM-ries,,,for Might and Magic i had a binder full of graph paper maps (with ring hole reinforcers!) using my own legend and lots of notes at the bottom of each page...for Wizardry 5 i had graph paper-glued-to-cardboard maps...had to use the panels from big shipping boxes to accomodate the big levels... Best spell was dropping down 8 levels  and plotting where you would end up<sigh>  i miss the chinese puzzle box feel of old time rpgs...knowing there was a cool as hell world in there if i could figure out how to get into it.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 07:15:14 am »

I have yet to sit down and actually try to beat Zork, but it's fun to play around with. I think there's a grue in every screen. I like throwing the pamphlet at the forest grues.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 09:09:51 am »

Hee hee.  Oh yeah.  Mouses weren't used on the DOS machines.   ;)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 11:54:17 am »

No, it seems a lot of DOS games at least have a mouse option. But that's closer to 1990 than 1980. Zork is from 1982, if I'm correct. It was high tech at the time for the memory it used. :)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 03:05:33 pm »

I have spent far too many hours mapping old games.  Here's a relevant one:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I believe I still have my old Wizardry 1 and 2 and Bards Tale maps, packed away in the basement with the Apple II+.

Incidentally, if Zork is too easy, try Curses.  It's huge and lush, and has quite a few puzzles.
Download        Play online

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 03:30:55 pm »

Forget Zork, my memory's are with Planetfall. Though I still need to beat Stationfall.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 05:40:39 pm »

Ack- trying not to look... still trying to figure out how to open grate...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 05:52:00 pm »

I'm not even that old, and I still grew up playing with ORCAD in DOS...

Gah!  I never beat Planetfall!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 06:31:07 pm »

I've been playing the original System Shock. It strikes me as having everything modern shooters need, but it could really use modern controls and graphics. Was Bioshock good? I never played it.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 11:04:12 pm »

To the guy who said you can't open the egg: You are so wrong. It can be done without breaking it.

And it is a horrible, god awful pain in the ass. I'll spoiler it here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 11:14:08 pm »

Me and my dad used to play an old dos game called Hocus Pocus. We filled a little notebook full of the answers to switch puzzles (which were horrible. 256 possible answers?!). I wonder what ever happened to that book.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 11:23:19 pm »

the designer of the switch puzzles took it.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 06:47:55 pm »

To the guy who said you can't open the egg: You are so wrong. It can be done without breaking it.

I did not say it can't be opened.  I said "You don't."  Which is both true and helpful, though it requires an insight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3