Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: In which I complain about Final Fantasy 12.  (Read 6450 times)

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: In which I complain about Final Fantasy 12.
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 07:57:48 am »

Oh, also, PIRATES MURDER PEOPLE SO THEY CAN TAKE SHIT.  PIRATES ARE NOT NICE PEOPLE.
I don't see why people would have a problem with this. Are you being serious? From the all caps I'm assuming no, but I have seen people legitimately complain about this. If you are being serious... do you have the same problem with elves from Dwarf Fortress being nothing like Tolkiens? World Builders are able to change how different things are in their world.

I have no issues with DF elves.  I might if, say, they had 8 legs and drank liquefied organs, since that's a spider, not an elf.

I dislike any media with something, like pirates, being presented as something else.  If I were to read a book about sky pirates, I would expect some air-to-air battles, boardings, murder and looting.  If it were about a monkey with an eye patch who lives in a zoo, I would be displeased.

While it's true the author has the right to define a sky pirate as a kind of monkey, if nobody else can make that connection, it's not likely a good idea.

Now, as for FF12, my main issue is that Vaan, a tooth-achingly good person, keeps wanting to be a pirate.

To me, this would be the same if you replaced pirate with mass-murderer.  The logic fails somewhere.

Now, it would be ok if he just started out like that, since it's possible he is an idiot.

But he never gets the memo.  This pretty much ties back into the null character development in the party.

Hell, they have a GBA sequel game where he is a Sky Pirate, yet no acts of piracy are involved.  Ever.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 08:22:49 am »

Pirate could also mean fashion sense these days. Just like ninjas mean someone who dresses up in all black and waves around some sword.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 08:44:05 am »

Pirate could also mean fashion sense these days. Just like ninjas mean someone who dresses up in all black and waves around some sword.

I honestly don't know anyone that dresses like that.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 09:24:59 am »

I honestly don't know anyone that dresses like that.
Personally or historically?

Not that it matters, as nowadays the meaning of being a pirate or ninja is rather skewed from what they really are. Being a pirate now means more of freedom to do what one wishes and be able to sail the seas. Then one is a conquistador.

I suppose it is just as confusing for me as it makes you dislike it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 10:33:21 pm »

Doesn't conquistador mean conqueror?
Somebody who just runs around freely living off the land would be a nomad.
Wanderer, drifter, or traveler if they don't live off the land.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 01:59:28 am »

Isn't the point of being a pirate... Piracy? You know, stealing shit from people at sword/gun point? If you're not doing that, you're not much of a pirate, are you?

In all of FF12, what did the pirates ever steal? One lump of nethercite, or whatever the fark it's called, and even that they don't keep.

I mean, I get the whole rogueish gentleman thing, but, seriously, they make no profit anywhere. They end up following Ashe and Basche for the same reason Vaan does. To see what happens.
!!&!!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 03:39:22 am »

I wouldn't say FFTA:2 is bad, just easily breakable if you specifically design a character. If you try to mess around and have fun, the first antlion boss can be tough. In fact, everything will be tough, because the game basically demands you follow what it wants.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 02:42:49 am »

How exactly does a poor, homeless, extremely femenine protaganist relate to the basement-dwellers, with enough money to buy a ps2?
They are both equally generic.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2009, 02:56:57 am »

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2009, 10:32:33 am »

why you do this desu
Shoes...

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2009, 10:50:52 am »

I have that (original) card ^^^

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2009, 01:23:22 pm »

Oh god, no. Someone say something relevant before this degenerates into something terrible.
!!&!!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2009, 10:34:49 pm »

Oh god, no. Someone say something relevant before this degenerates into something terrible.

FFXII was really generic. Just like this post.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2009, 10:40:03 pm »

FFXII was really generic. Just like this post.

I'm tempted to play FFXII again. Not because I liked it at all, but for the same reason I will occasionally eat corndogs: I KNOW it's going to be bad, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly HOW bad, so I might as well try it again.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 02:05:36 am »

I'm tempted to go back and actually finish it.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4