Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: In which I complain about Final Fantasy 12.  (Read 6453 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In which I complain about Final Fantasy 12.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 09:27:55 pm »

I don't know if you guys know it already, but there is no FF after FF7.

And now I'm pluggin my ears. I wont hear anything. lalalalala

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 10:05:54 pm »

Psst. Josh. Calm down. You're always so antagonistic. >,>

I played about halfway through the game until I got too bored to continue. I then tried to pick it back up at least a year later, but was still too bored to continue.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 10:18:41 pm »

Sorry, fallacies get me riled up, especially when used to defend something that doesn't deserve defending.

Ririka

• Bay Watcher
  • 1 out of 8000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 11:25:18 pm »

I played this game a few years ago.
I remember getting lost in the desert or something like that and getting frustrated at the lack of save points. I also remember accidentally entering a cave full of level 60 monsters and getting killed.

...I didn't like that game.
Call me Rika.
'I often don't know where my Luggage is, that's what being a tourist is all about,'said Twoflower.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 06:27:16 am »

You people forgot to throw shit at one thing.

FF Last remnant. Now thats a BAD GAME I tell ya!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 06:32:00 am »

Your avatar angers me to no end Ririka. It's much too unpredictable! I'm internally trying to imagine it just bouncing back and forth, but it doesn't! It stops in midair, or occasionally mid-bounce and I can't focus on reading because this damn weasel-pokemon is gyrating in the corner of my eye!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 06:40:30 am »

Psst. Josh. Calm down. You're always so antagonistic. >,>

I played about halfway through the game until I got too bored to continue. I then tried to pick it back up at least a year later, but was still too bored to continue.

Same.

FFX is better (in b4 the whole 'OH GAWD WHY DO U PLAY FFX????)

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 07:30:27 pm »

Hrm.

On the one hand, I liked the -idea- of playing (such as it was) as a non-main character.  However, I have to admit the execution of the idea was... lacking.  I would have liked it a good deal more if, at some point, Vaan stopped being so painfully retarded.

Oh, also, PIRATES MURDER PEOPLE SO THEY CAN TAKE SHIT.  PIRATES ARE NOT NICE PEOPLE.

Of course, I found a way to jump out of starting the main story till after I got Vaan to level 20 doing bounty-hunts, so I had a much different story in my head, where-in he was much more like Shadow from 6.

Story wise, while I didn't find it to be a weak story, I never really gave a damn about it.  Most of the characters were pretty well-done themselves, but largely remained giant walking cliches, so I was kinda like reading TVtropes, but without any laughing.

The combat system... well, it was good for getting through the game.  Once you get it well setup, though, it's 90% auto pilot.

Oh, and the treasure chests/urns.  WTF?  98% of them are JUNK or 10 gil, which is nothing even at 1st level.  Oh, and it punishes you by sealing the Zodiac Spear if you open any one of 4 scattered around the world.

Overall, it wasn't a -bad- game, but it failed at being a -good- game either.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 01:06:20 am »

I'd argue that, in a game of this particular type, if you don't care about the story or characters, it is not a good game. The RPG formula has been regurgitated a thousand times; anyone can make one with a very recognizable combat system using software found on the internet. But like a book, if you don't care enough to turn the page, or fight the next battle, there is something very wrong.
!!&!!

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 10:00:27 am »

Well, for me, despite the story and character being lacking, I did -like- them.

So, to press the book example, it was just enough to get me to read to the end, but not enough to re-read it.

Then again, I was playing a different story in my head that had more to do with the mark-hunting side quest than the real main story.

So, in that sense, it was more like a book that gave me an idea for a fan-fic I wrote without ever finishing the book itself.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 08:44:52 pm »

Oh, also, PIRATES MURDER PEOPLE SO THEY CAN TAKE SHIT.  PIRATES ARE NOT NICE PEOPLE.
I don't see why people would have a problem with this. Are you being serious? From the all caps I'm assuming no, but I have seen people legitimately complain about this. If you are being serious... do you have the same problem with elves from Dwarf Fortress being nothing like Tolkiens? World Builders are able to change how different things are in their world.

I'd argue that, in a game of this particular type, if you don't care about the story or characters, it is not a good game. The RPG formula has been regurgitated a thousand times; anyone can make one with a very recognizable combat system using software found on the internet. But like a book, if you don't care enough to turn the page, or fight the next battle, there is something very wrong.
That just goes to show that all RPGs are terrible games. If you have cruddy gameplay that's shared between a million different games, but ya got a good story!!! Ya shoulda wrote a book. Or a visual novel??
Playing a cruddy game because the story is "oh so good" is the dumbest thing. Just like reading a book because the "pages turn ever so wonderfully" is the dumbest thing ever.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 09:56:42 pm »

I believe your book metaphor went backwards. You read a book for the story, and you're saying that's why you shouldn't play a game.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 01:14:37 am »

Ya shoulda wrote a book. Or a visual novel??

But... but...

Visual novels are games too!!!

(Well, they maybe are not accepted in /v/... But...)

Oh yeah, nowadays VN also use elements from other genres too!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 11:41:37 am »

For one thing, my point about the RPG combat formula being regurgitated a thousand times is that the typical manner in which it is implemented is neither bad, nor exceptional. There is a reason the story exists, and that is to make the game worth playing at all. It's there to give you direction, and motivation, a reason to go from point A to point B. If the game fails to make you feel like you have a legitimate purpose in going from point A to point B, it has failed as a game.

Second, the problem with this game, Final Fantasy 12, is not that the story is bad, and not that it's combat system are bad, but that BOTH are bad.
!!&!!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 04:09:48 pm »

I do have to say, I was disappointed with FFXII. I started with FFX, which was a good game regardless of what some say (FFX-2 was stupid, but I liked the irony in the FFX plot). FFXII just didn't have much appeal to me; the combat system was stale and boring, the plot was difficult to follow, the characters were giant bags of cliche, and unlike previous successful titles there didn't seem to be a real reason for what they did (Vaan: Oh, I think I'll go break into a maximum security palace to steal something of value. Oh hey, some sky pirate, LET'S FOLLOW HIM!) Unlike, say, FFVII - which regardless of any naysayers was the best game SquareEnix made - where there's a real progression and some interesting ties between the characters, FFXII just seemed kind of bland. It's something I would have expected from a smaller developer, not one with Square's reputation.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4