Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Disease, biological warfare and excrement could go hand in hand.  (Read 5315 times)

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disease, biological warfare and excrement could go hand in hand.
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 05:39:05 pm »

A sewage system with toilets should be an advanced option. Kind of like magma forges. The simple solution is the use of chamber pots, which would be emptied on refuse piles. This would give new and water-less fortresses a viable option. I could see toilets being something nobles mandate.

If disease is going to be implemented, countermeasures also need to be implemented. I'd like dwarves to actually be able to keep clean with soap. Expand alchemy to include medicine and poultices.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 03:18:17 am »

Waterless forts won't be an option forever either way

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 02:50:57 pm »

Much like the actual 1400s, waterless living is simply impossible. Hell, we don't usually get towns without brooks at least even now.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 10:34:00 am »

Hopefully also the use of excrement as fuel, probably after being processed at certain workshops.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 02:58:38 pm »

In cities without a system of sewage or running water (which, if I'm guessing correctly, is most cities around the 1400's), people all around the world would just dig a deep pit with a toilet on top. 

One or two communal toilet rooms with a couple of toilets built a z-level over a channel ought to be enough for all non-nobles in the fortress.  I imagine toilet construction would be similar to that of a well, built either over water, or over a pit deep enough that you won't too often have to send peasants in to clear it out.  If built over running water, you'd have to reroute the channel so that it would meet the brook or river somewhere far downstream.

Anyway, the need to build a sewer system would be a little too much of a feature to ask of most games, I guess.  But DF isn't "most games," is it?   ;)
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 05:49:01 pm »

Anyway, the need to build a sewer system would be a little too much of a feature to ask of most games, I guess.  But DF isn't "most games," is it?   ;)

I'd suggest, as others no doubt have, that dwarves could use a bucket or purpose built gazunder* and once used the waste would get hauled in its bucket and tipped on a refuse pile tile much like corpses and chunks are dealt with now. It would slowly decay and release miasma until the tile is free again and gets reused. You'd have to make sure it's sealed like a refuse pile and also that it's big enough for your population. Any spillages would be automatically cleaned by any dwarf with the cleaning job enabled.

*chamber pot or gazunder, so called because it 'goes under' the bed.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2009, 06:51:26 am »

I'm not dreadfully against the idea, but if you love it so much, what's stopping you from making a sewer system now?  You can throw some chairs in 1x1 rooms above the water flow and pretend they're toilets just fine.  Hell, if you actually need crap, just have some holes behind the chairs, designate them as pits, and watch all your little dwarfs run off to take a 'dump'

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2009, 09:44:59 am »

I will say I am sorry for being a jerk ahead of time.

Excrement? Really? Like someone else said somewhere, (too lazy to get a quote) sewers would be a pain since it forces us to embark with a river. And I'm sure no one wants to see this. Urist McUrist cancels store item in stockpile, taking a crap. Biological Warfare? It's just plain not dwarfy. Can you actually see a dwarf blasting chemicals in someone's face somehow? It's just not dwarfy and the Army Arc is just coming out soon so we would barely use it, even with the Army Arc. Since this is a suggestion thread, people may think of easy ways to do all of this. So come up with a better way with dealing with sewers and it may be a possible idea.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I got carried away with my suggestion, but I was primarily building on the idea that most creatures could be affected by disease.

Toady One is trying to work on diseases, it is harder than you think. Many of the disease related things are out of the next release.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:50:07 am by dragon1423 »
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2009, 10:13:41 am »

Biological Warfare? It's just plain not dwarfy.

I'd like you to explain how launching corpses at your enemies' strongholds with a catapult is "not dwarfy."  I think it's the dwarfiest!

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2009, 11:11:02 am »

I never thought of it that way.... hehehehehehe. Brilliant idea!
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 09:40:11 pm »

Crapping could be as simple as grabbing a bucket and filling it as you would when giving water to the wounded. Then you would go empty the bucket at the designated 'dump'. This would probably be over the edge into the river or some such, unless it's gonna be collected into stockpiles for building material, fertilizer, tanning implements etc. You would spill it occasionally just as with hauling water.
The bucket is then re-used to act as a bucket for a well or vessel for the wounded.

After all, people didn't necessarily connect poor hygiene with disease in the 1400's.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 11:30:42 pm »

[EVERYBODYPOOPS:YES/NO] problem solved. Personally, I want it for the sewers and waste management. In reality, waste management was a make or break of a settlement (and still is).

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 08:11:21 pm »

A problem with waste in DF springs from something not commonly considered in this context: Dwarves live underground. In the 1400s, the common method of waste disposal was simply: Dump it out the window. It sat in the gutters until the rains came and washed it away. In DF, there's nowhere for it to go. Dump it in water, and then what? Assign some dwarves to pump it into the river? Build a windmill system to haul crap a dozen z-levels? Assigning dwarves to haul crap would take a substantial portion of your population, assuming a somewhat realistic volume of waste.

I like the idea, but it definitely helps illustrate why 13th century humans didn't live underground.

Of course, mining frozen sewage an building a tower with it would make ice towers look unimpressive by comparison.

Also, something not yet considered: weapons could be dipped in waste, at which point it could be treated as a venom. This isn't something people did much in the 1400s, but some earlier peoples did it as a matter of course, and it certainly seems like something those unsavory goblins would try.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009, 06:35:32 am »

In the 1400s, the common method of waste disposal was simply: Dump it out the window. It sat in the gutters until the rains came and washed it away.
They did leave it on the street, but there were people that systematically hauled it away and sold it to farmers outside the city. That office was usually sold by the municipality to the highest bidder to organize it. Pecunia non olet.

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2009, 05:16:46 am »

You could even make it a necessity in tanning, since urine was the most common (only?) thing used in tanning rawhides. Not sure I like going down that route though.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4