Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improving manager screen  (Read 814 times)

Seraph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improving manager screen
« on: August 16, 2009, 10:42:40 am »

There are three things that I personally think would make the manager screen nicer to use:

1) When adding new work orders at the manager screen, it would be extreamly nice if the system would prefer matches for whole words over matches for partial words, and prefered matches with the highest percentage of words in the item name.

To give an example of what I mean. If you type "CONSTRUCT WOODEN BIN" the first option in the list will be "Construct wooden Cabinet". Having accidently doen this more then once (as it's the only thing I make on a regular basis where typing the name in and hitting enter doesn't work). The 2nd thing that causes a similar issue is something like "FORGE COPPER CHAIN" which causes copper chain mail to appear before copper chain.

2) Why is there a limit of 30 items per line in the manager screen? It can be pretty annoying if I'm trying to do something like make 200 stone blocks.

3) It would be nice if there was a way to quit without saving changes. Once in a while I'll accidently hit the 'r' button (usually the mode of failure is the fact that the embark screen uses 'n' to add an item but the manager screen uses 'q' and I hit the wrong one, and then start typing something like "rock <foo>") and at which point I go "Oh damn, what did I just delete?". If I could just abort and go back this wouldn't be a problem.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improving manager screen
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 04:07:55 pm »

2) Why is there a limit of 30 items per line in the manager screen? It can be pretty annoying if I'm trying to do something like make 200 stone blocks.
Totally agree that this has to change, preferably in the near future.
It totally sux giving 5-12x 30 rock table/throne/cabinet/coffers/coffins/beds and not to mention doors.
Would be a lot more happy if the max was raised to 300 instead of 30.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 05:09:08 pm »

Why have a numeric cap? Why not just have a digit cap, so 999, or 9999. Either one would work for me.

And a big yes on number one! I am always wonder why i have wooden cabinets, then i have an oh dammit moment...
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:10:45 pm »

Lots of DF problems would be solved if Toady (armok be with him) would just make everything the same button. We have 4 keys to look at things (k, t, v, q), and about 7 to tell each of a different thing to do the work we want. Can this not be made less confusing? Space gets out of some menus, F8 is required for others...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:37:54 pm »

Possibly pointing with the mouse, left click right click.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 08:42:50 pm »

No. There should be keyboard commands for everything as standard. mouse commands come later.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 08:44:36 pm »

I find it strange how I'm more adapt at mining with the keyboard then with the mouse.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 03:44:42 pm »

I think a lot of it will have to wait for the presentation arc, but the 30 unit cap should be an easy fix i think. Maybe the screen order too, depending on if it does a search then order or not.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 04:40:09 pm »

I find it strange how I'm more adapt at mining with the keyboard then with the mouse.
Mouse-only is difficult for large spaces.
Keyboard-only is difficult for things other than hallways/square rooms.
Mouse-and-keyboard is win.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]