Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some HD cloning software  (Read 587 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need some HD cloning software
« on: August 16, 2009, 08:01:15 am »

I promised to repair a PC of somebody I know. It will probably lead to a windows reinstall and after I'm done putting that system into a clean and somewhat reliable state I want to create an image of the system partition, on a dvd.

Additionally the imaging software should be freeware and make the dvd bootable, to a program that lets you restore to harddrive just like that. I dont want to bother the people with an extra medium, for booting and restoring.

My current motherboard has the features I'm looking for built in, so I don't need 3rd party software, but now, well, I need it. I've googled that shit up and down and naturally found a lot of hits, but I cba to go through all them and check them out. Maybe some of you guys knows a litte software gem firsthand and can save me the hassle of digging through piles of information.

On sunday. with a hangover.

edit: maybe something else you guys can think of, that might come in handy for such a task?
So far I'm bringing

memtest
prime95
some firewall
antivirus software
SP2 on CD because I dont have anything more recent
I'm thinking about the ultimate BootCD, but I havent looked on it for quite some time. There oughta be something useful on it, like stuff to check the HD

Oh, and is there any RELIABLE way, without having backup PSUs to check, if - for instance - the GPU is dying or the PSU is too weak? I mean... I can think of situations when it would be hard to tell, which one is the culprit. Especially without having proper tools to read out power consumption.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:14:39 am by Puck »

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need some HD cloning software
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:03:01 pm »

To test the GPU, move it to another, working PC. If the GPU is fine there, then it's the PSU.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need some HD cloning software
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:38:47 am »

Have you found a reraiable (Oh god my spelling sucks, it's ,midnight here now...) cloning program yet?

Of course, I recommend a GNU-Linux-based OS inside a Live CD so you could clean it up easier...