Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Burrows  (Read 2932 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Burrows
« on: August 16, 2009, 01:13:19 am »

So, has anybody placed any thoughts on how to use the upcoming burrows?

I'm really excited about it, this mean that I can set up workshop burrows and construction burrows, so I can have deadicated workshop dorf and builder dorfs.  Squee!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
Re: Burrows
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:43:24 am »

I'm going to have the wealthy district where my nobles live, the upper-class district where my alchemists (alchemy, glassmaking, lyemaking, potash making), doctors (animal taming, animal care, healthcare) and technologists (mining, architecture, and mechanics/siege) live, and then the slums, where everyone else lives.

Because if you don't save dwarves, make machinery, or make glass, you're not one of the chosen ones.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:06:09 am »

We can finally give our beloved Heroes squires and servants!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 08:29:22 am »

I play with the dark dwarves mod. Low class dwarves will be forced to live underground like common... dwarves, with the nearby sounds of crafting and the heat of magma pipes nearby (no need for magma baths, if you don't like em drop em in a chunker). Crafters will live on the lower tower levels, while nobles and champions will live at the top. This is partly because it's honorable, but mostly because nobles aren't good enough to even be chunked, we drop them on our enemies from 12 z-levels up.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 10:44:03 am »

can someone explain burrows to me? or maybe direct me to a place I can read about it.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 10:56:20 am »

can someone explain burrows to me? or maybe direct me to a place I can read about it.

It's introduced in the entry on 6/17/09.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 11:17:44 am »

Ah, thank you, scarpa.  I've been hunting for that.

I don't think I will use it for any sort of meta-game simulation, like separating social classes.  I'll probably use it more for handling with the frustration of immigrant overload.  It would be cool to have a more decentralized fort, with different food and industry centers.  Hopefully I can also use it to manage the booze/plant food ratios better, too.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:15:52 pm »

I'll probably use it more for handling with the frustration of immigrant overload.

Set starting seven -> inside fort
      all immigrants -> next to occupied magma pipe

Oh, very yes.

Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 03:52:18 pm »

Probably for specialization of my dwarfs.  Like, the arcitect/pump operators that will staff my hydroelectric power plants will live right inside the facility (with their own digs, food stock piles, etc.) for security reasons and immediate maintenance.  The Masons and Carpenters will have their own guild complex with appropriate furnishings and statue gardens, and the Miners will live in their own guild quarters as well.  All housing will be organized by squad and experience level as much as I can manage.  The military, of course, will also live exclusively in the Keep.  The Nobles will have free reign to go anywhere except outside.  Ever.

All complexes will have specially designated maintenance and hauling squads assigned to them to ensure food and supplies are where they need to be when the dwarves need it.

But that is what the system is kinda intended for.

On top of individual professions having their own, private dining rooms and statue gardens, all dwarves will have access to the grand communal accommodations.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 05:02:30 pm »

Things like building cabins for my hunters and fishers, and having them actually live in them. Having a forge complex complete with its own kitchen and still. I can think of endless uses for them.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 05:31:36 pm »

I wonder if you can overlapping burrow areas.

If you can't, I hope that I can name it to something I need, instead of it being Burrow #134
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 10:17:15 pm »

Noble Quarter, Merchant Quarter, Peasant Quarter, War Quarter.

The main use I can think of for burrows is to keep dorfs from running into sieges for socks. Though I'm sure there will be others.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 10:24:12 pm »

Squee!

That's exactly the sound I'm gonna make when Toady releases the next version.

Aha, burrows. Will make my class separation more effective, methinks.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 10:38:59 pm »

I wonder if you can overlapping burrow areas.

If you can't, I hope that I can name it to something I need, instead of it being Burrow #134

From what I've read, yes, you'll be able to overlap them.  Basically, any tile can belong to zero, one, or multiple burrows.  Any burrow can consist of any combination of tiles desired, regardless of shape, connection, z-levels, et cetera.  Not that my claim is official or anything, but Toady's description made immediate sense to me, and that's pretty much how I would code it myself if I were adding it in as a sort of quick deal, not wanting to get bogged down with too many complexities while still allow reasonable flexibility.

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 03:10:14 am »

Quote from: the great toady one
So somebody asked if it's possible to use civilians for jobs and so on while the alert is on, in the zone to which they've been restricted. I was originally thinking more of shorter alerts where you just wanted to get them away from someplace dangerous while you fought something out. However, while I was working on it, I decided I might as well make it more diverse, so I put in burrows.

The ill-named burrows are larger sections of your fortress where dwarves live and work and to which you can restrict their movements. Dwarves can be assigned to multiple burrows, and you can paint them with your mouse in a few brush sizes or lay them out in multiple rectangles (a burrow need not be a rectangle). Any number of burrows can overlap and you can give them names and an ASCII symbol.

Dwarves will only use workshops, stockpiles, living areas, meeting halls, etc. in the burrows to which they are assigned. I've removed all of the "entrance dance" code so that they can survive the mental trauma of not being in their assigned locations, and they can cross locations that aren't in their burrow, but they'll maintain the restrictions in the general sense described above.

There are many, many ways in which this can be useful for controlling labor (you could even have your experienced miners mine veins of your choosing in this way -- it'd be a slightly clunky workaround, but it works). Just the basic burrow mechanic is powerful enough that it is pretty exploitable, so there will be several ways in which dwarves either move beyond their burrows or are affected adversely by heavy restrictions, but I'll leave those for you to find. These effects should all make sense and not be all that restrictive on play, especially if you are respectful to your critters (for instance, having your soap makers all stand in a 3x3 corner in the main hall until they starve to death shouldn't proceed as planned for very long).

A dwarf not specifically assigned to a burrow can work anywhere, but in the future there might be, say, a restricted burrow setting or something that'll exclude such dwarves. There are also items posted on dev about burrow hauling jobs and burrow production limits and all of whatever -- I haven't done any of that. Things like restricting manager orders to certain burrows etc. would all be great (and faster than doing it via particular workshops in general), but I don't want to get too far afield for this release (since I'm already far afield). In any case, the core work and mechanics are done.

Getting back to the immediate topic, alerts can now just restrict civilians to a set of burrows, with the further restriction that they should get to this set of burrows with priority. If a dwarf then doesn't feel comfortable working there because they were previous assigned to areas outside the alert area, they'll be idle as before, but it's a smaller problem than the one described in the beginning of the first paragraph, and it can be easily corrected if you plan on or are forced to stay in that alert state for a prolonged period. Giving individual dwarves different burrow assignments based on their alert state could be a future possibility (perhaps in conjunction with the work-gang class of ideas), but that's not in the cards for this release.

just for anyone who doesn't want to search the gigantic dev log.
Pages: [1] 2