Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: MOSS?!  (Read 3345 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: MOSS?!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 10:02:05 am »

Indeed, you need to wait a good decade or two before moss shows up. And then you need constructions for it be made on. I have not tested destroying it, as I was tying to cultivate it on a castle I wanted ruined.

But yes, you need a very old fortress. And even then you won't see carpets of the stuff. Just occasional random tiles of the stuff.

Does it spread out from said tiles?

Either way, I'm stunned.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

kein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress Wiki page
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 10:50:35 am »

You guys must never play adventure mode. Moss is pretty active in a lot of ruins :)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 10:54:01 am »

Indeed, you need to wait a good decade or two before moss shows up. And then you need constructions for it be made on. I have not tested destroying it, as I was tying to cultivate it on a castle I wanted ruined.

But yes, you need a very old fortress. And even then you won't see carpets of the stuff. Just occasional random tiles of the stuff.

Does it spread out from said tiles?

Either way, I'm stunned.
Nope. At least, I haven't been around long enough to see it. It just seems to be a random placement on any lit aboveground construction.
 And this site was an aboveground fort, so it was basically all aboveground constructions.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 11:40:51 am »

I saw it all the time in adventure mode pre 3-D usually on those big multilevel pyramids in ruins, but I never saw it since.  Of course I never really visit ruins anymore too, since they no longer contain hundreds of undead.

Good to see it's still around, it added a bit of depth to an otherwise bland ruin.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 01:54:27 pm »

i discover about it only now that i lost my aboveground fortress-tower game... :( if only i had known, i would have kept it, waiting for moss to appear on the tops of the walls, while i worked on the tower...

do moss grow only on floors? having it also on walls would be great

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 02:46:58 pm »

You guys must never play adventure mode. Moss is pretty active in a lot of ruins :)
Of course, ruins aren't very common anymore and they're pretty boring at the moment.  So even some one who does play adventure mode probably won't see it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 09:13:11 pm »

it makes me wonder if Copperblazes is completley covered in moss or if the designer sometimes removes the mossy places and builds it again.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 09:19:21 pm »

I want to know if moss gets destroyed by heavy traffic like grass does.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 10:12:52 pm »

Moss is becoming the new fad of the day. Soon you won't be able to have a fortress without HFS, magma, flux, cave rivers AND moss  :P.

Kinda reminds me of when roads first came out...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 10:21:40 pm »

it makes me wonder if Copperblazes is completley covered in moss or if the designer sometimes removes the mossy places and builds it again.
Again, moss grows aboveground. And to the query of it being destroyed, I'll make the top of my eastern wall my main hall to test i-

Oh, wait. Shoot. I completely forgot that was Healedabby. Gah, gotta get to that Succession Game!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 11:32:25 am »

man...

the wiki knew something a lot of us didnt.....

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 12:17:53 pm »

I don't think moss will be a common thing untill we get to make the worldgen continue after we've played on a world. That way you could build up your over complicated aboveground construction, eventuall die or abandon, and come back 100 years later to find your obsidan black tower is now mossy green.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Franz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 09:49:48 pm »

"Exciting" Moss Investigation:

So I found a single tile of moss when reclaiming my fort. (I forgot when I started/abandoned it, but the year of reclaim was 156.)
This sample of moss confirms that not only does moss grow on constructions, but smoothed outdoor rock as well! :O (Dolomite, in fact.) Region is Warm Mountain, no trees, no other vegetation, surroundings Wilderness.
I want to know if moss gets destroyed by heavy traffic like grass does.
To answer this question, I got the reclaim group of 70 to walk back and fort across it about fifteen times, and each time the tile was walked over about eight (?) times. That's... about 120 times the tile was walked over before I got bored, and at the end of the test the moss remained intact. So I guess it doesn't get destroyed, unless maybe moss takes 121 steps to destroy, or something.

In Adventurer Mode, moss cannot be picked up, eaten, or removed from the ground in any way. No further description of the mossy smooth dolomite could be obtained from '[l]ooking', and '[L]ooking really hard' yields the message 'Your intense search turns up nothing.'

So yeah. After two hours of intense investigation, I have found that moss is utterly unremarkable except for being strikingly green. Also that it grows on smoothed outdoor floors. Thank you and goodnight.

kein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress Wiki page
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 11:24:51 pm »

I don't think moss will be a common thing untill we get to make the worldgen continue after we've played on a world. That way you could build up your over complicated aboveground construction, eventuall die or abandon, and come back 100 years later to find your obsidan black tower is now mossy green.

I was thinking something similar to that. That would be pretty awesome.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 11:31:04 pm »

I seem to recall a certain very long lived 2D era fortress having moss... also algae, or maybe it was just the algae.
Pages: 1 [2] 3