Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Choose your own Disaster, next update please!  (Read 1457 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Choose your own Disaster, next update please!
« on: February 23, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

I have yet to experience a siege or even a goblin ambush.

Like sim city, add in the option to cause a Siege or ambush at my will. IE a disaster.

I would really like to see this in the next version. Mainly because i want a fucking siege i play until the lag kills me, yet no siege!

I cant take it no more. I need a damned siege. Please toady, add in the option to allow the player to cause a siege at will.

IE "Your dwarf leader sends a message to the goblin fort giving the location of your fort and telling them to fuck off hard."

*Siege happens*

Sorry for the cursing. But i want a siege damnit.

I want to lose! lol     :D

Half the fun of Dwarf Fortress is losing. I cant have fun if i cant lose!

Add in the options to cause disasters.

Be creative about it too.

Add in siege, Ambushes, flood a level of your fort with water or magma.

Please toady, implement automatic disasters with the next patch, i really want to experience a siege.

If i don't see this option within the next few versions, i'm going to really consider not donating money. Which i do plan to do soon since i'm getting a bit of money.

I will donate a few times. I love this game, i just want some damned violence other then my dwarfs getting killed by carp or drounding in a lake / river they shouldn't be in, in the first place...

Ok my rants over. Sorry in advance.... Love you toady     :D

*hides*

Edit: Okay, well im atleast not going to donate any money until i see a auto disaaster feature. I want to lose, and not just by abandoning the fortress due to lag.

Lag is not something which should make your lose, goblins should be. Or atleast a magma filled fort    :D

Edit Again: "Your magma forge spews a leak!"

"Evacuate level 12!"

Edit again again: I want a siege !!!! :'( *Crys*

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

helium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose your own Disaster, next update please!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

Get a grip. If you think you can bribe Toady into adding your requested features you're not wanted here, please leave.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

Wow, you realize lots of the lag issues have been fixed in the version that will be released tomorrow, right?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 06:18:00 pm »

God damn son, the next update is coming TOMMOROW. Real feasable, that.

:roll:

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

*slaps his forehead*   :roll:

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 06:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by The-Moon:
<STRONG>I will donate a few times. I love this game, i just want some damned violence other then my dwarfs getting killed by carp or drounding in a lake / river they shouldn't be in, in the first place...

Edit: Okay, well im atleast not going to donate any money until i see a auto disaaster feature.</STRONG>

Good luck holding the game hostage.  I'm pretty sure Toady doesn't give a damn if you donate or not.  The only reason he lives on donations is because he gets enough of them that he CAN.  If it stops happening, he gets a job and works on the game less, like back before he quit his last real job.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »

This child does not understand the beauty of this game, which is why he can't understand why it's moronic to demand anything from it.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »

Okay lol please calm down.

I went a bit over board...

Ive been drinking... My birthday and all...

My bad.

Whatever happens, happens. No big deal.

However. I would really appreciate if toady added in options for disasters.

Thats the only point of this post. Not to threaten toady.

Bad humor my bad...

I really am donating soon cause its my birthday and im getting a bit extra money.

Toadys still getting some money from me in a few days either way haha  :D

So everyone be cool.

My bad i'm sorry, i can be a bit of a ass at times.

No real negativity ment with this thread.

However. Do you guys think there should be auto disasters.

Thats my only point, auto disasters would add a lot to the fun.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by The-Moon:
<STRONG>Like sim city, add in the option to cause a Siege or ambush at my will. IE a disaster.</STRONG>

Actually, rave aside, seconded! This is a lovely lil' idea!

Ok, a Wizard or Cheating menu is anathema to most idealist roguelike purists, but this would more an anti-cheating menu, making it harder (or more amusing) for you!

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 08:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mikademus:
<STRONG>
Actually, rave aside, seconded! This is a lovely lil' idea!

Ok, a Wizard or Cheating menu is anathema to most idealist roguelike purists, but this would more an anti-cheating menu, making it harder (or more amusing) for you!</STRONG>

The idea of the game is to lose. SO what better then to implement a disaster menu ?   :D

The whole point of this thread is to make the game more fun for us. Thats all. You guys don't know me so you guys don't know how i can make jokes. My bad.

This thread is for the benifit of all Dwarft Fortress players, no threatening comments intended.

I thought people wouldn't take this too serious, Apparently not. hah

But in all seriousness.....

Toady, please add in a way for us to cause disasters to our forts. It would make the game a shit load more fun. Please Please toady add it in asap.

Thats all this thread is ment for.

No negativity ment.

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

If you're not getting seiges then your fort isn't valuable enough.

Why not try making a better fort?  Or starting in a more hostile locality?  Difficulty curve tweaking isn't really one of Toady's top things right now- he's trying to get systems in place before balancing them.

Edit:  "Losing is fun" refers to the inevitable doom of any adventurer and any fort, not sudden insurmountable odds at the touch of a button.   You have to work for a real worthy challenge.

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: Capntastic ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 05:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>You have to work for a real worthy challenge.</STRONG>

Oddly, my adventurerers so far (in a whopping 4:1 ratio) have died before reaching a city or town and meeting a single friendly NPC.  In another whopping ratio (5:0) they have all died to the first hostile thing they've encountered.

I never had to work very hard at it...

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 10:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>Why not try making a better fort?  Or starting in a more hostile locality?  Difficulty curve tweaking isn't really one of Toady's top things right now- he's trying to get systems in place before balancing them.</STRONG>

Beside the point, all of it. One mode of fun in SimCity is designing a robust city and expose it to disasters. When playing "normally" then you hate them, but on the other hand, waiting for them when actually wanting them is ungodly boring. Being able to trigger disasters is easy to implement, does not disrupt the game balance at all, and is a great way to promote the diversity of play that DF is aiming for. Arguing against this feature is just being confrontational and argumentative for its own sake.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

The fact its a menu is great cause its not forceing anything on anybody its completely optional if anyone has ever played any stronghold game (mostly the first one) you can press F1 and have your crops wilt of a forest fire or a fire in you castle or a plague or a seige...
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Fenrir

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 11:46:00 am »

1. Don't post after a barrel of dwarven ale.
2. Toady One doesn't take bribes or respond to threats.
3. Adding

a

new

line

after

every

sentance

makes

your

hard

to

READ!
4. This is not Sim City.
5. This suggestion nearly falls into the category of metagame editing, so is therefor utility material, as has no place in the game.

Pages: [1] 2