Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Spore-like content  (Read 2317 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Re: Spore-like content
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

***WARNING THE FOLLOWING IS 13ERENT RANTING***
***PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE FOLLOWING POST***

WTF???  I CANNOT BELIEVE...Oh wait im still shouting.
HoW many fucking times have developers got my cock hard with the latest new release, featuring the latest technology, best graphics, innovative gameplay. etc, etc, only to leave me with my dick in my hand and blue fucking balls.  Has anyone even fucking played SpOrE to see what "content" it fucking has?  How long has this fucking game been in development?  How many times has the release fucking date been pushed back? I'm sorry but it doesn't bode well.  I've seen this scenario too many fucking times with too many games.  I'm not even gonna start a fucking list.  Or how about when they finally came out and sucked ass?  So until we get to play the fucking game, I'm not giving Will or any other fucking dev the benefit of the doubt, and I am certainly not going to gush about a game I have never touched.  You would have to be so fucking naive to think that anything innovative will come out of SpOrE or any other game, or that the mechanics or other innovation will even work as planned, until I am playing the motherfucking game.  We have all spent too much fucking money on shit fucking games, held our breaths for months or years only to be disapointed.

Here's a better one : how about some Dwarf Fortress-like content in some of the fucking bullshit that is being pushed onto us now?

Thank you for ignoring this rant

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

Ahem. Thank you, I3erent.
The Planes idea, that is, having more than one region available, is currently far-future stuff, but I think it would be pretty cool (for when magic goes in) to be able to banish critters/transport yourself and show up in a separate game. I'm imagining a sort of reserve of horrible creatures sent to a middle-world, akin to the dungeon dimensions of Discworld, perhaps added to through additional raws as well as in-game antics. So you could drop community-made raws into a separate folder, play a summoner, and wind up with a seriously strange beast, perhaps with strange equipment and gifted with unusual magic. If you happened to summon another summoner, they could potentially summon others of their own kind through and create a new civilization, without you having to regenerate the world and lose your history.

Or, since the regions are only continents, these could be the source of new adventures and interactions as a region gets older - an influx of strange migrants bringing exotic crops and beasts of burden upsets the existing order, forcing itself on a large but ill-guarded kingdom and slowly eating away at its borders. Or a very large and powerful empire with superior weapons decides your little region would be a nice addition to theirs, and sends a massive invasion force to supplant an existing culture.

The concept of content-sharing merged with gameplay is sound, irregardless of whether Spore is any good at all. There's a lot of potential here, I think. I doubt modding will ever be merged to the same degree as Spore is doing, but I don't think DF really needs that.

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 01:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by I3erent:
<STRONG>***WARNING THE FOLLOWING IS 13ERENT RANTING***
***PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE FOLLOWING POST***How many times has the release fucking date been pushed back?
*******************************************************************************</STRONG>

Just wish to point out that the Official Spore Newsletter went unused for four years up until this last January or so when they announced an exact release date.  First message EVER directly from EA to the fans: September 7th (5th in Europe), 2008.

Every week since then (about) there has been some new release from EA about Spore.  We've had no less than 8 videos (and 15 new screenshots) in the last two and a half weeks ALONE with another two expected (we had the Cell video on May 21, Creature on May 22, and Tribe on May 31).

There has been more news about Spore in the last three months than in the previous three years!

It will be here this year, though weather or not it lives up to our expectations is still to be seen.  There are many of us pining over the lack of blood and gore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 02:25:00 am »

Ok time to answer some rant questions and other people's comments.

quote:
How long has this game been in development? How many times has the release date been pushed back?

In Both Spore and Dwarf Fortresses case... None

Spore has never had an official release date... so there is nothing to push back. there have only been unofficial guesses.

Dwarf Fortress never had an official release date to my knowledge either and hasn't had any guesses.

Dang Draco beat me to it.

quote:
You would have to be so naive to think that anything innovative will come out of SpOrE or any other game

Ahh, Here we go... Innovative =/= good. Many innovative games were terrible such as Black and White 2. The things that make Spore Innovative will be in the game without question, to suggest such is to simply say Spore is not going to ever be out. If Spore does end up being terrible it doesn't mean it is any less Innovative.

quote:
The core is basically the same

The two cores that Spore has that I am sure that none can say otherwise is
-The Editors
-Massive Singleplayer Game

I won't go in lengths... because all it will take if Spore to come out and Dwarf Fortress to be closer to V1...

But then again... people say Fable and Oblivion are the same only that, usually, oblivion is better. It usually takes a few weeks of argueing to get them to notice that they are different. So I guess we might as well put it to a rest.

This topic has really degraded... but I think we can draw the conclusions AT LEAST that
1) Dwarf Fortress officially has plans on not doing anything similar to Spore and most likely couldn't support such anyhow
and
2) The Community is against suggestions to make Dwarf Fortress like another game in general
-I am in that boat too... it gets annoying no matter what game it is on both ends.

The problem now is the conversation is so heated I don't think it will die. This is my first REAL heated arguement here... (not officially a flamewar until someone calls another stupid or something... no matter how heated it is)

My Stances:
1) Spore and Dwarf Fortress are both good games and both simulations that can similar a single or multiple worlds
2) Spore and Dwarf Fortress are however dramatically different games with stark similarities, however at heart they are different and try to achieve different goals.
3) Heated Arguements often turn to flame wars as easy as it is to say stupid... because that is usually what starts it.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 02:28:00 am »

The SecuROM is going to blow kobold chunks, too.

Bastards.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 02:32:00 am »

True SecuRom sucks a lot.

Though not exactly for myself YET.

Though the only thing to me more annoying then SecuRom... is people who say they are going to Pirate a game because of its SecuRom...

It is kinda like shooting people up to prove that the gun laws are too harsh.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 03:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MuonDecay:
<STRONG>The SecuROM is going to blow kobold chunks, too.

Bastards.</STRONG>

http://www.xspore.com/news/462_spore-drm.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]