Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Spore-like content  (Read 2319 times)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore-like content
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 10:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>Yeah different Planes are listed

But they are as of so far the elemental Planes... (and may include more... like where Demons come from or something)

Not Alternate Dimensions</STRONG>

You sure? I was expecting it to be like The Bearded Plains of Oceans or The Windy Legends.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

I'd be happy if you could play more than one fortress at a tie, but that could lead to some ugly timeline problems.... especially after the army arc. Though depending on how it presents itself, you could allow forts to get only a year ahead, switch the the other fort, do a year. This could allow for some super crude multiplayer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 01:47:00 pm »

Well I am not as sure as I was when I wrote the planes thing... about being Elemental planes

So it could be other worlds... (that would certainly be interesting... multiple generated worlds existing in the same multi-verse)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

I think any suggestion for one game that is summarized by adding something to make it like another game is like an amateur playing god in a Monsanto laboratory...  sure, whatever horrible bastards you dream up may be awesomely deformed, but it's going to be very rare that one of them is useful or better than the original.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Petr Gašparík:
<STRONG>Hi,
I'd love to see some Spore-like content in DF

(Bla bla bla)

This could be more interensting after Army Arc</STRONG>

Petr Gašparík: 3 post wonder.

Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

It's that MSNBC thing, I've never seen so many escaped lunatics.  They seem to be a bit better than I expected, maybe we'll get some regulars.
Shoes...

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is the game Spore wishes it could be.

I do like the idea of 'planes' though. Breaking through a pit to release demons (which I've never done) should open the doors to a wondrous and twisted landscape. So, if you have Spirits of Fire pouring through, then the game should generate a few z-levels of sulphur-filled caverns, filled with pools of boiling tar. If Frog Demons burst through, then it should be swamps and marshes and thick clouds of poison gas.

And if Priests / Religion makes it in, then the zone you have designated as Temple should slowly change to an environment in line with whoever the Altar (where the Temple Zone is defined from) therein is dedicated to. So, if you dedicate the Altar to a god of Agriculture, then the room begins to fill with light and edible plants begin to pop up on the floor. If you dedicate it to a god of forests, then trees begin to grow. A god of oceans gets pools of water forming, and ocean mist. That sort of thing. Of course, you'd want to mark everything in that room as 'Sacred' (a type of forbidden that's ignored by the less devout Dwarves) so that your Tree Temple doesn't become a Tree Farm.

Man, OT or what?

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

"Dwarf Fortress is the game Spore wishes it could be"

Nope... Their goals are different

Unless you think Spore's goal was to have a large randomly generated world.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

Actually, that's pretty much Spore.

The planets are procedurally generated(Will Wright's favorite phrase), and therefore could be considered random.  The only problems with Spore:

1. EA:  Oh my goodness, you sick freaks, why do you do these things?  They're charging ten dollars for the creature creator in June.  You can get it for free, but you only get a quarter of the parts.

2. Cuteness:  The creatures are sickeningly cute right now, and I'm worried it'll force you to make them cute.

Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »

quote:
Actually, that's pretty much Spore

They both have randomly generated worlds... but that is not the goal of Spore.

You need to seperate goals from similarities.

To Quote Will: "I want people to discover that they are more creative then they thought they were"

To Quote Toady: "Losing is Fun"
-Ehh that is the only thing I really can get

There you go... and mind you that "Creativity" in fortress design to get over obsticles isn't the same creativity in what Will said.

"They're charging ten dollars for the creature creator in June. You can get it for free, but you only get a quarter of the parts"

The Fans BEGGED for this... You still get the editor if you buy the game... It is like people who complain that EA releases too many Sims expansions thinking they are the majority when the fact of the matter is... a LARGE Group of people beg on their knees for it.

"Cuteness"

Don't make a cute creature... simple enough... The Spore team doesn't seem to want to upstage you... which is the only reason I can see to why they only add the cute creatures for the most part.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

The environment is cutesy, the interactions are cutesy, and the other creatures are cutesy.  Although it is possible to create a somewhat-respectable creature of your own, there will always be the rest of the ecosystem that's constantly being created for you, and there's not much you can do about that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

I hate people.  If they realized those expansion packs are barely half of a game, and stopped buying them, maybe EA would stop making them.  EA is a horrible, horrible monster, but we all drink its vile milk anyway...
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »

DAMN You EA for doing EXACTLY what the Fans want... It is all your fault!!!

Note: This sarcastic comment doesn't refer to the many OTHER complaints that EA deserves

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>DAMN You EA for doing EXACTLY what the Fans want... It is all your fault!!!

Note: This sarcastic comment doesn't refer to the many OTHER complaints that EA deserves</STRONG>

I think I know a more fitting one.

"DAMN you EA for doing what OTHER people want! Do what I want and what I want alone!"

Note this is poking at the complaint, not the complainers themselves.

Actually, Spore seems a lot like DF. DF just allows more small things to be done. Then again, you need to look at who makes these things.

DF: One-man team. No obligation to finish this any time soon except for money constraints. Then again, money isn't much of a problem. It can come and go rather freely.

Spore: Made by a HUGE company. If they don't ship it out soon, crap will hit the fan. This won't hit as many users unless we cutify it? Okay, we need to draw in those potential customers.

Actually, you need to look at the core systems:

DF: One man's love-child with brilliance. A Dream, for a grand game.

Spore: Will Right's concept, worked over for many years before he got the creature editor to work on most everything. Probably resembled DF's earlier 2D versions, except in crude 3D.

The core is basically the same, but Spore shows us what DF could turn into if it is bought by a company.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

Not to mention that all the blood is gone.  And I doubt we'll get to see 3 legged lizards mating outside of the E3 2005 video.
Pages: 1 [2] 3