Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Strategy games that have strategy?  (Read 7971 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Strategy games that have strategy?
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2009, 04:29:43 pm »

Nice to know I'm not the only one...

Also nice of them to add in awesome new cheat units for the expansion.  All the AoE series and AoM had cool stuff that you could only get by cheating.  Like that flying purple hippo that attacked by blowing kisses at people.  Or Furious the Monkey Boy.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2009, 04:44:56 pm »

There´s also Dark Reing (The first one). The ability of units to camouflage themselves and the line of sight system make for a game in which the trees themselves play a part in your strategy.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2009, 06:10:30 pm »

Supreme Commander is almost completely defined by build queues and lots of twitchy micromanagement.  However, it has the potential to be a very macro game of sci-fi conquest.

With the way the map works and just the ease with which you can command units, it gives you all the tools necessary to set up a massive map with a few buds and just hop from interesting location to interesting location.  Not only could it potentially give you some actual meaning to the positioning and composition of your units (and the construction/defense of separate resource or artillery establishments), but it also gives you some really cool up-close battles to feast your eyes upon.

The problem is, of course, getting around the way the game ends up usually being played.  I.E., a small-scale traditional RTS.

Another game somewhat along that line would be the American Conquest series, and possibly its predecessor the Cossacks series.  But it doesn't allow for quite the same amount of maneuvering or global management as SupCom does.  It's mostly just a game about throwing really really huge armies against each other.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2009, 02:29:10 am »

I've played supreme commander, The races are too similair. It's always the same buildings over and over.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2009, 03:18:40 am »

No love for Hearts of Iron here?

OH GOD THE MICROMANAGEMENT.

But damn awesome game.

FUCK YEAH AWESOME!

(Though I play only the 1st and the 2nd... HAven't bought HoI 3)

protorp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2009, 08:42:45 am »

I recently checked out Armageddon Empires - virtually unknown but excessively lauded by the few reviews out there. It's a turn based hybrid of Panzer General style hex strategy with collectible card game style unit mechanics - only no having to pay extra for better content . . .

Sounds out there but is one of the best balanced strategy experiences I've had in a long time. Developers site is:

http://www.crypticcomet.com/

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2009, 09:00:28 am »

I've played supreme commander, The races are too similair. It's always the same buildings over and over.
My main problem with supcom was the campaign, inevitably every mission boiled down to spending 5 hours watching your factories churn out units who would then decide it was intelligent to go single file into the enemy base and get slaughtered without even taking down a single shield generator. Of course by "every" I mean the second mission of each campaign because I just didn't have the patience to complete any of them. Seriously who thought it would be intelligent to give all the bases thousands of shield generators and tons of turrets so that it take hours and hours just to build a force that could possibly stand a tiny chance of winning if the units weren't retards who enjoy marching single file.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2009, 11:22:08 am »

[quote author=thatguyyaknow link=topic=40442.msg720260#msg720260
My main problem with supcom was the campaign, inevitably every mission boiled down to spending 5 hours watching your factories churn out units who would then decide it was intelligent to go single file into the enemy base and get slaughtered without even taking down a single shield generator. Of course by "every" I mean the second mission of each campaign because I just didn't have the patience to complete any of them. Seriously who thought it would be intelligent to give all the bases thousands of shield generators and tons of turrets so that it take hours and hours just to build a force that could possibly stand a tiny chance of winning if the units weren't retards who enjoy marching single file.
[/quote]

Artillery is your friend. As is gathering your units just outside the range of the turrets and only then sending them in.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2009, 12:31:21 pm »

The first key to learning how to actually play large scale RTSes like Supcom and Sins of a Solar Empire is to understand in your heart that every single unit is expendable and when you build them, you expect them to die, not succeed. Once you overcome that psychological hurdle of trying to build only the best units or trying to keep your units and buildings alive, you can trounce every single mission in the game in under 30 minutes as you crush your pathetic AI opponents.

For multiplayer, it works against newbies but not too much against the other experienced players. You have to get creative there. That's when expert use of an overall strategy and devious tactics come into play. Supcom is really meant for online play, not singleplayer.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2009, 03:44:10 pm »

No love for Hearts of Iron here?

For that matter, any Paradox Interactive game.  There's variations on the basic theme depending on what time period or focus you might want; Hearts of Iron being the warfare-based World War II game.  The learning curve can be a bit steep sometimes, though.  (Especially Victoria.  If you're not careful with that one, you run into a learning vertical line, actually.  It can be worse than Dwarf Fortress sometimes. :P )
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2009, 04:02:57 pm »

Warhammer. Just sayin'.

But it's sure as hell expensive...

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2009, 04:35:38 pm »

Warhammer.
Didn't they make some computer games for that? Not like Dawn of War, but actually ones using the system? (Final Liberation sounds about right [although never having played the tabletop version I can't say if it's really tru], but it's really old)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2009, 06:06:19 pm »

Sins of a Solar Empire

Thanks for the reminder that Sins of a Solar Empire exists. It's the only RTS that I've seen that I think does "hero" units well, mostly because you can leave them alone and not have them be pathetic.

Plenty of strategy there, too.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Alemourn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2009, 11:43:45 am »

Well, I was going to suggest Conqueror!, but unless it's me, the site appears to be gone.
It's a Risk-like game, except there's more strategy such as managing territory loyalty, building forts(Which upgrade to castles) to allow a defensive bonus, population increase(Which decreases if that territory is fought over for a few turns), paying for a standing army at the end of every four turns, and it requires a lot of strategy no matter how big your force is because only 5 moves with armies can be made each turn.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 12:30:48 pm by Alemourn »

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2009, 06:00:28 pm »

http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Freeciv is pretty fun, if you like Civilization. Most people do stick to a handful of different strategies, but the maps are random and every decision makes a difference (what you research when, what kind of defense you place in a certain area, etc).

Oh, and there are also mods, maps, and tilesets available.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 06:18:34 pm by Helmaroc »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6