Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Strategy games that have strategy?  (Read 7964 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strategy games that have strategy?
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2009, 06:49:49 am »

Star's interace is very user-unfriendly, though.

That shouldn't be much of an obstacle for a DF player. ;)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2009, 06:59:31 am »

The problem is that DF's problem is the initial complexity, whereas Stars interface is unfriendly, and it gets more and more hostile as you have more things to micromanage.

Think of the annoyance of looking for something in the "miscellaneous" category in the trade screen, only multiplied by 10, and in every single aspect of the game.

And, as  I said, on top of the interface, it was micromanagement hell. God forbid you forget to perform any of the hundreds of little actions you have to perform on each level.

The plus side is that once you get past that, the game is very open-ended. Kind of like Anacreon (which I recommended earlier and does share some of the micromanagement hell characteristics of Stars!), but with more options.

Somewhat off-topic: I just recalled that, back when I was 15 or so, this game was for sale in bargain bins in a series called "Sold Out" (they also sold Total Annhiliation in that series, which is a game that was ahead of its time by ten years). The back-text described a different game than it truly was, but despite everything, it's not bad. Just for... a very determined kind of player.

So yeah, I guess that, like Dwarf Fortress :p
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2009, 12:07:53 pm »

what are peoples thoughts on Defcon? Personally i'd recommend it but i havent played many online battles.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2009, 01:03:47 pm »

what are peoples thoughts on Defcon? Personally i'd recommend it but i havent played many online battles.

DEFCON is rather interesting. I should go and replay that some time soon.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

justinhoffman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2009, 03:07:39 pm »

Poxnora is a decent game as long as you just play the free stuff.

It's kind of a cross between a ccg and a turn based strategy.  You play against another player, and it's a pretty deep game.

I would not purchase anything though.  They promoted an older player to dev a while back and that person pretty much destroyed the good things in the game.  Anyway, it's alright now and you haven't been around to see it go downhill.

You can play for free, just don't buy anything.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:12:46 pm by justinhoffman »

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2009, 03:10:31 pm »

Joint Task Force?
You basically control a squad, and get support from oiffcers who call them, infantry will try to take cover when shot at, and they will go prone if theres no cover, and they will get out of vehicles if its about to blow up, and real physics, when my squad of humvees was driving past some hostiles, they shot an RPG which went through the gap between my vehicles.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2009, 09:28:56 pm »

Try Knights of Honor.  It's more strategic than tactical, and a lot of it is just diplomacy (which, frankly, I like), but there's just something really satisfying about leading the forces of Scotland to send all the English into France.

Really, the world map ends up looking pretty damn crazy after a while.  Especially when you get Vatican City taking over most of Germany, which is pulling back up into Finland.

Kagus? YOU KNOW KNIGHTS OF HONOR TOO???

... :D

Oh well, I discover DF because of that game, too...

Edit: Kagus, have you tried the Middle East mod in their forum? I want to play it, but I lost the KoH CD, and I too lost the files, so I need to buy the game again... :|

Edit: The mod forum : http://forums.blackseastudios.com/forumdisplay.php?s=9f40250e33c99c4da8084ed9ac8b17ad&f=9

Edit: The most reason I like that game is because I can play as a muslim caliphate there and NOT BEING PUNISHED for it!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:35:26 pm by IndonesiaWarMinister »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2009, 02:34:26 pm »

Edit: The most reason I like that game is because I can play as a muslim caliphate there and NOT BEING PUNISHED for it!
excluding your parents who ever punished you for playing a caliphate? I thought they were some of the more powerful people of the age, no?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2009, 04:42:39 pm »

Maybe so, but they had the slight problem of getting crusades whipped their way EVERY FLIPPIN' YEAR by batshit popes.

And I don't actually own the game, I only played the demo.  It taught me an important lesson about playing smaller countries (Bohemia and Scotland are your only choices in the demo) instead of larger ones, like Germany.

Germany looks very imposing, and has a ton of land to start off with.  But they don't have any standing forces to back up that image, and every one of their neighbours wants a stake in that land.  It didn't take long before Germany had been picked apart all the way down to two pathetic little provinces.  And of course nobody would ally with Germany, because they looked too powerful to need it.

Meanwhile, Bohemia, the backwoods little hick colony of the Slavic countries, was building up its forces and munching through nearby provinces like nothing, and nobody batted an eye.  After all, Bohemia?  What could possibly come of them?

I also learned that, if you're completely surrounded by enemies, you should ally yourself with the guys on one side of you and fight the ones on the other side.  If you do anything less-organized, you may end up spreading your forces thin or getting hemmed in by "off-limits" ally provinces.

Furthermore, "an ally is more valuable than a vassal".  An ally can raise his own armies and appoint his own lords.  A conquered province, however, needs to be managed by YOU, and will thus be limited by your government cap.  Trying to conquer all of Europe with only eight armies can prove to be just a teensy bit tricky.

And for those of you worried about getting a dagger in the back, just remember that it's entirely possible to get an ally who adores you and wants nothing more than to help you out.  Just play your politics well.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2009, 10:11:15 pm »

Ooh...

Well, KoH is sold on Steam, anyway, with the new patch (1.05)

AND MOD HARD IS HARD (captain obvious)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2009, 10:52:01 pm »

No love for Hearts of Iron here?

OH GOD THE MICROMANAGEMENT.

But damn awesome game.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2009, 08:52:46 am »

The first age of empires.

*backs away slowly*

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2009, 09:57:59 am »

The first age of empires.

*backs away slowly*

Seconded.

It might not have as much strategy as some others, but the foundation of a whole branch of games is always worth trying.

Yes, I've played Pong.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2009, 12:09:40 pm »

It might not have as much strategy as some others, but the foundation of a whole branch of games is always worth trying.
very true, but we're looking for games without scheme-built bases and catapharct spams, which Age of Empires has in good quantities (though arguably less the most such games.) It's still very fun.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2009, 12:13:16 pm »

heh.
I spam photon men, not cataphracts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6