Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Strategy games that have strategy?  (Read 7958 times)

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strategy games that have strategy?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 10:18:11 am »

I think your problem is with RTS games that have base-building, since those involve production chains and build queues and whatnot.

So why not the RTS games that don't have a base-building dynamic? The Total War series, Company of Heroes (can't think of any other ones right now) - those barely have any base-building.

Or... you could play Chess.

... or Checkers.
Chess is more tactics, that's why we have world-class computer champions. If you want strategy, I recommend Go.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 03:45:20 pm »

I was just about to mention Go too lol. And chess is more about thinking ahead then tactics. Can't do that with Go, too many moves.

And seriously try stronghold it doesn't use queues. The fights all rely on timing, placment of traps, and strategy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 04:14:42 pm »

A lot of the Total War Series involved series especially if you don't use "Auto-battles" but DANG is that a total pain most of the time. You still need to know how to make armies and build however or else your job becomes that much harder. For example GOOD FREEKEN LUCK defeating Calvalry without some of your own or Spearmen in Medieval II Total War, they will plain murder you.
-Shogun Total War not so much... That one is a "Right combo of stuff"

There is a "Enemy has brains" mod for Medieval II total war somewhere.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 05:03:21 pm »

There's Nexagon...   You design a team of "pit fighters", build a home base for them (and your control sphere), and then dock it into an arena and duke it out with the other dude.

You use the money you get from fights to hire new fighters, or repair and upgrade your base.  You get extra money by fighting in a flashy, entertaining style, and by having a base that's pretty to look at.

Here's a link to the demo, where you can play on two maps using two of the four team types:
http://www.gamershell.com/download_3027.shtml

The Ghandros are pretty well-balanced, with a selection of both ranged weapons and up-close abilities.  The Tekhan are an all-melee team, so you need to get up-close and personal with your prey, which may at times prove a bit difficult.  Still though, you can't beat the pure unadulterated smashiness of a Maul in close quarters...  And the fans really like a good punch-out.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 07:07:41 pm »

A lot of the Total War Series involved series especially if you don't use "Auto-battles" but DANG is that a total pain most of the time. You still need to know how to make armies and build however or else your job becomes that much harder. For example GOOD FREEKEN LUCK defeating Calvalry without some of your own or Spearmen in Medieval II Total War, they will plain murder you.
-Shogun Total War not so much... That one is a "Right combo of stuff"

There is a "Enemy has brains" mod for Medieval II total war somewhere.

I got my hands on Rome: TW recently, and I have to say, I'm pleased with the gameplay, which is why I suggested the series as an ideal non-basebuilding RTS.

... Age of Mythology was good, but that also ends up as being based on "having the right combo of stuff."
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 07:54:46 pm »

Just came in here to mention Go :/

Alpha Centauri is one of my favorite games but I wouldn't call it strategic, at least not versus the AI.  Try it multiplayer though.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Gambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ks2.ru
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 09:22:58 pm »

Hm... MAX? The missions are diverse, you need to adapt your tactics to each and every one, and in many cases you are given a pre-built base. I wouldn't really call it "strategic", because mostly it's about figuring out some movement pattern or unit combinations, but it does require you to think. You can't just spam the cheapest unit and expect to win. There are no "universal" strategies either. What works on one map is useless on another.

Blitzkrieg is quite good as well. It's rather realistic and maneuvers are very important there.

But if you want a stretegic game, the only two that come to my mind are Master of Orion and GalCiv2.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 09:50:26 pm »

you know, I was just thinking that I recall  Shogun: TW as being more challenging than MTW, and I just noticed what might be the reason:
Shogun: TW had far less units than MTW, and the computer was far less likely to bungle army composition & mismanage its existing army.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 02:45:30 am »

Ground Controll springs to mind, but that's a Tactics game (Ground Controll 2 is a bit more RTS-like, and also a bit lighter on the strategy side). You're starting missions with a limited amount of units and have no way of getting new ones, so it's all a quation of proper unit placement (shadows reduce the distance at which they're seen, artillery is excelent for shelling buildings but you'll need to see them) and choosing the right tools for the job.

I just started Ground Control about a day ago on a friend's recommendation and it is awesome.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 03:14:08 am »

Try Stars. It's old, very old, and some people say you need a degree in maths to play it properly. I say you need wits and strategy.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2009, 04:34:02 am »

Star's interace is very user-unfriendly, though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 04:39:23 am »

Link? Even "stars freeware" on google didn't work.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2009, 04:44:20 am »

I dont think it was exactly freeware, but I certainly got it from some abandonware site.

The title is not "Stars", but "Stars!". Try that

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 05:21:06 am »

Google doesn't care about exclamation marks. Try this topic.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 06:34:57 am »

I have to second Company of Heroes. It's still a RTS, but I found surprisingly much strategy to be involved. I played it quite a lot over the last months with a friend of mine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6