Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Pharaoh  (Read 4341 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pharaoh
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 03:26:38 pm »

Are you sure? Cause I think AoM is more like Age of empires then what is being described here. The one I am thinking of had walkers, only defensive on map combat, pretty much ceaser with a greek god twist. I could be wrong though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2009, 03:29:02 pm »

Pharaoh is good,I still have the disc in a easy to find spot.

Oh hey... I still have it installed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2009, 04:12:08 pm »

Yeah, Master of Olympus would give you gifts for building temples.  Each god has their own special little bonus, some more useful than others.  And the gods would even spawn as walkers now and again, wandering about and blessing the buildings they liked most.  In the case of someone like Hades, the gift/blessing combo would be amazingly useful...

Temples to Hades will automatically spawn a few outcroppings of silver right out front.  You can then build a few mints to process the silver into glorious cash.  If Hades then decided to take a walk about town, he's almost certainly bless quite a few of the mints right outside his front door, causing them to work with even greater efficiency.

There's another citybuilder out there that I was mucking with recently, that doesn't have the railbound walker thingy.  Children of the Nile is another Egyptian-themed builder, and I have to admit getting quite a lot of mileage out of the demo.  It got me hooked.

It's one of those games, like SimCity, where building in a grid pattern will be very beneficial to you.  Instead of completely screwing things up like with the Zeus, Caesar, Pharaoh and Emperor games.

Oh, speaking of Emperor, if you liked the other games you should really enjoy Emperor.  It has a lot of things that I really liked, but there is one thing you do need to watch out for...

Feng Shui.  That goddamned Feng Shui.  I don't think I will ever forgive them for putting that in as a gameplay mechanic. 

Iroel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2009, 04:18:49 pm »

As in the other games, Zeus grants you benefits when you please the gods. I'd say, the four games (Zeus, Caesar 3,  Pharaoh, Emperor) are pretty much two games with slightly different themed versions of each. In Caesar and Pharaoh, you have a single type of housing, which provides you with workforce etc. Buildings send out walkers to check for employees, and bazaars and such are build seperately.

In Zeus and Emperor, IIRC (It's a fair time since I've played any of the four), you have two types of housing; regular and elite. The regular ones are the ones who work & stuff, provide all the basic things. To build elite housing, you have to have certain goods at hand, but in turn, those are the ones who provide your military. To add to the difference, in Zeus and Emperor, you build a market of sorts, where you place different stalls - Weapons (Zeus only, IIRC), tea (Emperor), food and other things. This is then distributed by a single walker. Also, buildings don't send walkers out for employees; if you have the necessary workforce in your city, they're automatically supplied.

Yeah, I kinda liked those games.

Edit: Ninja!
« Last Edit: Tomorrow at 25:61:61 PM by Iroel »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2009, 05:53:15 pm »

Yep, that was the game. Thanks.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2009, 06:12:23 pm »

Pharaoh had the best presentation of all the city builder games IMO.

I feel Emperor does. I only bought that one, so my opinion is eschewed but I have this fascination with China.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2009, 08:57:14 pm »

I prefer Egypt, and Rome. But that's just me
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2009, 09:00:31 pm »

Pharaoh had the best presentation of all the city builder games IMO.

I feel Emperor does. I only bought that one, so my opinion is eschewed but I have this fascination with China.

Yeah, I thought Emperor does too. Pharaoh was a bit drab.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2009, 10:03:35 pm »

I loved these games but it's such a pain in the ass for me to keep my housing from fluctuating so much that I have a constant steam of emigrants who have been evicted because they ran out of pottery or such heading to the exit.

Also, the people who made Children of the Nile (Tilted Mill) continued the Caesar series, I was quite pleased with it and recommend it highly.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:17:36 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2009, 10:12:20 pm »

Also, the people who made Children of the Nile (Tilted Mill) made some Roman games also, I can't remember the name but it was like they continued the Caesar series, I was quite pleased with it and recommend it highly.

Civcity: Rome?...No wait, no. Thats Firefly, Firaxis and 2Ks game...*checks Wikipedia*...huh. They're the ones that made Caesar IV. So, yeah, they DID continue the Caesar series.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2009, 10:15:57 pm »

Oops hah, your right. I thought they renamed it, my bad.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2009, 10:24:06 pm »

I didn't really like Caesar IV...then again, I spent most of the time wondering "What is this? This is not the Caesar I remember. OFF WITH ITS HEAD!" and generally wondering what the carp was going on. I should probably give it another go.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 01:31:42 am »

I loved these games but it's such a pain in the ass for me to keep my housing from fluctuating so much that I have a constant steam of emigrants who have been evicted because they ran out of pottery or such heading to the exit.

Oh man that annoyed me. No matter how awesome my city was, there was a stream of smelly old people leaving the city.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2009, 03:00:53 am »

I have Zeus, and it's a fun game. Isn't there an expansion for it?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2009, 07:15:10 am »

I have Zeus, and it's a fun game. Isn't there an expansion for it?
I sort of remember there was one. Poseidon master of atlantis, or something like that.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4