Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Pharaoh  (Read 4339 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Pharaoh
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 06:22:55 am »

perhaps that's because you havent created a name yet. (I get that screen because I already had  one in). So you say the "create name" screen doesnt work at all?

BTW: I dont have pharaoh and cleopatra, just vanilla patched pharaoh, so I dont know if its the same.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 06:27:00 am »

It's a great game and I used to play it a lot. Completed it on hard, but never got the expansion.

HERE you can download some saves I've uploaded on Pharaoh Heaven if you need inspiration, all on hard level. But it's pretty darn confusing to figure out cities you didn't build yourself.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 06:42:43 am »

I've sunk a lot of time into Ceaser III and Zeus Master of Olympus. Zeus it was easy to control the walker though through roadblocks, they would let people with a destination through but not anyone else so you could just build your city in loops and block of the entrances to each loop with roadblocks. It would ensure everyone in the loop got a walker regularly.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:03:53 am by thatguyyaknow »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 06:59:05 am »

I figured out what I was doing wrong.  For some reason, I was trying to run the game right off of the CD, so I guess it couldn't create folders or files.  Copied everything to the harddrive, and now it works fine.

Holy crap, Pharaoh is more unforgiving than Caesar 3 ever was.  (Less forgiving would be incorrect, as Caesar wasn't forgiving anyway.)  I had to restart the first mission three times, because unless you pick exactly the right space to found and arrange your town in, you're just boned.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 07:00:27 am »

But Caesar 2 didnt have walkers  ???

Roadblocks are useful, but the tactic I use in pharaoh is to make spare walker generators, and place houses in long lines, with the generators coming in at intervals. That way, if you place enough spare ones and interconnect places enough, if they do fall out of of their walking perimeter they will cover some other houses, and viceversa, so they offset each other
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 07:01:21 am »

Caesar 2 most certainly did have walkers.  Trust me, I played the hell out of that game.  And they were idiots.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 07:04:18 am »

To Walkerpath People...
In the early missions watch one of the Walkers, for example the Bazar Walkers always go a certain direction on the first pass, walks a certain distance then comes back, the next pass they go the other way. As long as you make it so that they have two choices you can control them. If for example you can work out the distance they will walk before they run out of Goods (ie, having to go back to refill) yo can make them do a loop of an area and still give access to all the homes they pass, even when they are coming back for more. Because they will go the other direction next time you can cover two blocks of area with one Bazar. Make a Z shape with Road blocks and they will move in a figure 8 when they supply.

Temples and all that are good for Jobs cause you only need 3 different Gods for the Best homes (memory being right that is) so there is no worries with the pathing there...

Oh forgot about Wells, been playing Zeus too much I forgot Egypt don't have the Well anywhere like Greece does, Put them opposite from Bazars cause they too will take the same actions as the Bazar supplier...

The Infrastructure huts are great to build is surplus, just make sure they are a short distance away due to Land Quality Negatives they give...

Oh and I found that a 4x4 plot of land will cover a nice niche for your people, roads need to be at least 2 spaces away from a plot for it to be active, and when you get the 2x2 homes it can make it so that there are 2 to 4 of them at one time, if you get anything less then two, replace the smaller homes with Parks to up the Land Quality, while still allowing them to develop over the Park when they upgrade to a 3x3 home, till finally they reach a 4x4 home at the max. Tiny Statues make great dividers between these 4x4 plots. And you can slot a 4x4 building into one of the areas with little loss of land quality too, that or a temple/entertainment stand...

Edit:
Also, I don't what this "year or two old" business is.  I remember reading the PC Gamer review of it in 1999.
-Suddenly feels older then he really is-
Ah shoot, talk about memory loss...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:07:51 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 07:12:41 am »

Lol, I'm seriously missing out on this "Pharaoh is difficult" thing. I found the game to be extremely easy. The walkers are a little unintuitive to handle, but once you get the hang of them, they're almost flawed.

My father's 'tactic' was just to toss around the houses and workshops randomly and such, it worked extremely well. He's not a strategy gamer, just played it to watch the wonders being built :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 07:16:17 am »

Walkers are easy uf you know how they work. I'm not 100% sure (it's been a while), but I think the soft spot is somewhere around 52 tiles. If your block has a perimeter of 52 tiles, they always go all the way around, and everything on the way has access. Just don't give them useless intersections. Entertainment buildings with their T crossroads can be placed on a bigger ring around the block. This way you don't mess with the walker pathfinding in the "real" block.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:32:21 am by Ai Shizuka »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 07:39:42 am »

sorry, mistyped. Caesar 2 did have walkers. I meant to say that Caesar 2 did not have Roadblocks.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 07:43:30 am »

I just like listening to what the walkers have to say.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 07:45:21 am »

To the Marsh I March for the Reeds we Need...
That one is still stuck in my mind...
Damn rhyming...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 02:19:03 pm »

Pharaoh had the best presentation of all the city builder games IMO.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 03:15:25 pm »

I have to ask. Is that Zeus: Master of Olympus the one where you can build temples, and get gifts and stuff from the gods? I remember a game where you could build a temple to Ares, and get a platoon of his troops for your army.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 03:22:42 pm »

I have to ask. Is that Zeus: Master of Olympus the one where you can build temples, and get gifts and stuff from the gods? I remember a game where you could build a temple to Ares, and get a platoon of his troops for your army.

Nah, thats Age of Mythology thing I think.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4