Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Worst embark ever?  (Read 3426 times)

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst embark ever?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 11:52:18 am »

My dwarves spawned in the middle of a lake :(

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 12:26:46 pm »

Had a giant bat systematically hunt and kill all my dwarves over two seasons. Just when it would be safe to go outside and cut another tree, boom "Urist McRedshirt has bled to death".

Out of spite, before my last dwarf died I removed the flier tag and drowned him in a murky pool.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 12:55:10 pm »

Embarked, and a Giant Scorpion with a name and a title set loose on my dwarves. They all died horribly.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 02:02:51 pm »

Worst I've had so far is just noob moves making me embark on somewhere and unable to find dirt to make a farm...

Although the Giant Eagle on my current map keeps buzzing my front door...This could turn out bad..

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 02:04:23 pm »

Worst I've had so far is just noob moves making me embark on somewhere and unable to find dirt to make a farm...

Although the Giant Eagle on my current map keeps buzzing my front door...This could turn out bad..
Put a cage trap there and sell him to the elves for a quick buck.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 12:20:46 pm »

Embarked next to a chasm.  I recruit my woodcutter and assign my wardogs to him so he can deal with the little beasties coming out.  He did a good job at it, but then the GCS kills him and almost everyone else.  The 2 survivors didn't last long on their own before more chasm critters kill them.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 01:50:41 pm »

This needs a bit of a backstory.

Due to the world creator apparently being angry at me, my desired site (5x5, magma pit, river, flux, high evil) couldn't be found in about 40 consecutive worlds. So, when I finally saw all these conditions greenlit in the 41st, I didn't even stop to see the positioning of the features. I embark, pause the game to look for a suitable location, find one, set digging jobs and unpause.

And THEN.

All hell breaks loose. After a string of "interrupted by" messages I actually start paying attention to my poor dwarves.

It turns out the embark location of the caravan was right next to the river. And, maybe for the second time in my entire DF playtime, the river isn't a brook but an actual river. Lo and behold, the ghastly majesty of Skarp. A whole herd of them, gleefully devouring my starting dwarves in about 5 seconds. Shortest embark EVER. I learnt many things from that sole embark.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Stargrave

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_ELVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 03:16:44 pm »

i once had a game start my wagon about 4 tiles from a magma pipe. i told my dwarves to take apart the wagon and a fire snake promptly climbed into my mountian of booze to remind me that losing is fun.

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 03:49:01 pm »

I had the apparently common embarking, then all my booze be drank by Dark Gnomes. Damn gnomes!!! This is in a place with no river of course.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 07:43:13 pm »

my worst was in a glacier map with an exposed magma pipe
right when i started digging a fire imp comes up and launches a fire imp thawing some ice which instantly refroze into ice pillars and encasing one dwarf in ice
five of the remaining dwarves die an icy fiery death
the last dwarf survived somehow with no wounds except both of her eyes were burned out
i tried to survive but she kept passing out before she could eat or drink
she died of thirst while the plump helmet she was holding withered

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 08:52:40 pm »

I once embarked on a grassy area with an exposed magma pipe and a brook. I was between both features. I went to wall off the pipe, and start digging into the fort, when an imp started a fire (on a wolf). Because the booze was just outside the entrance. I tried to get my dwarves to quickly put the supplies inside. The fire caught up. I tried to get my dwarves to outrun the fire (the fire passed my entrance when my dwarves were outside) and they failed to reach the brook before the fire reached them.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 09:48:48 pm »

Spammed with messages about "X has been struck down", "Y has bled to death.  All 7 died before a door could get put on the badger warren.

What did you expect?

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 11:57:01 pm »

Embarked on a site with some kobolds. I think, "Cool, I've heard you can claim their stuff for quick cash. And maybe they'll draw off a siege for me."

Turns out they were less than friendly.

And a spearmaster and a (non-elite) bowman were one screen away from my embark site.

;)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 12:05:16 am »

Jist remember folks, as bad as it gets, it can always be worse.

My worst is embarking next to a massive river with a three-level waterfall. The waterfall was in such a way that the land surrounding it would start to flood. As in, the land my dwarves were in. So I rushed to get everything inside, only to find out there was an aquifer layer I had not anticipated. By that time i had hoped to get some stone and wall off the entrance. After several minutes of failed searching for a way through, the entrance has flooded. Soon after that, the fortress did as well.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 03:28:36 am »

Jist remember folks, as bad as it gets, it can always be worse.

My worst is embarking next to a massive river with a three-level waterfall. The waterfall was in such a way that the land surrounding it would start to flood. As in, the land my dwarves were in. So I rushed to get everything inside, only to find out there was an aquifer layer I had not anticipated. By that time i had hoped to get some stone and wall off the entrance. After several minutes of failed searching for a way through, the entrance has flooded. Soon after that, the fortress did as well.

That movie you linked, is that bug still around?
Pages: 1 [2] 3