Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Banana Trees  (Read 1069 times)

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Banana Trees
« on: May 13, 2008, 05:31:00 am »

I'm just throwing the suggestion that Banana Trees and their fruit might be a nice addition to tropical and warm biomes.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Banana Trees
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:19:00 am »

In this context it may be interesting to add fruit-giving trees as class. They will work as crops but will produce fruits instead (and can be chopped down in case of urgent need for wood).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 06:48:00 am »

Of course, technically banana "trees" are herbs, so making them shrubs would fit in just as well.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:19:00 am »

I wonder if DF can acquire the concept of "passable trees" from ADOM (but without the "you pass beneath a beautiful tree" log spam). Then harvesting/climbing/whatever could be implemented easier...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>In this context it may be interesting to add fruit-giving trees as class. They will work as crops but will produce fruits instead (and can be chopped down in case of urgent need for wood).</STRONG>

Yeah, good idea. I just wanted Banana because they're awesome.

- Cherry (Makes good wood)
- Apple
- Orange/Lime/Lemon (Limes enjoy alluvial sands)

Fruit bearing trees. That's the suggestion! Orange Wine even exists. I live in Florida, and I've tasted that horrid fermented drink.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Qmarx:
<STRONG>Of course, technically banana "trees" are herbs, so making them shrubs would fit in just as well.</STRONG>
Only biologically though. They're trees for all other practical purposes, like their fruit being doggone hard to reach when you're only 4 feet tall.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »

They sell banana flowers and banana core here in India.  Banana core is pretty cool stuff...  I once saw a nature video with a gorilla knocking over a banana plant just to eat the core inside.  Completely ignored the actual bananas.

Oh, and orchards/fruit-bearing trees/farmable trees have been suggested before.  There was a lengthy thread about it some time ago.  But it's always nice to keep the suggestion fresh, since it's a good one.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

I'd like to remind people that a natural banana has VERY LARGE SEEDS IN IT.  The only reason the seeds in our produce bananas don't have giant seeds is because they were grown, not from seeds, but from cuttings.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »

I think fruit-bearing tree's would be a nice addition.

Also, why does the fact that natural banana's have big seeds need mentioning?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 11:54:00 pm »

It's info.  There's no reason not to mention it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 12:03:00 am »

It is kinda sad that there are fruit trees that give no fruit (actually it is odd that there is no fruit in this game period... just Vegetables... Yes I am including the "Berries" you can buy...)

I fully believe Toady is going to include fruit bearing Trees and bushes eventually and that he has it planned. Why would he add fruit bearing trees without Banana Trees? The Banana is the most popular fruit in the world

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]