Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Religion Mafia - Discussion and Brainstorming  (Read 10629 times)

Free Beer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Religion Mafia - Discussion and Brainstorming
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:33:01 pm »

A quick search shows that there has not been a decent religious debate in a couple of weeks. Let's rectify this travesty.

Let's have a modern religion themed mafia. Each player would have powers thematically representative of talents that practitioners of a given religion have today. For example, ordinary practitioners might be really smart (investigative abilities) or have conversion based powers, while extremists would have assassination powers.

The general consensus is that there should be multiple "mafia" factions, each representing a religion. Each religion should have one conversion based player and one NK based player (possibly one shot), at the very least.

The "town" would be present, but would consist mainly of cannon fodder to be converted and/or killed.

The rules, as used in Religion Mafia #2:

Spoiler: Religious Power Role (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Atheists (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Agnostics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:36:59 pm by Free Beer »

Free Beer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's have a religion thread
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:34:18 pm »

Uhh.. this was supposed to go in General Discussion, and I have no idea how it got here?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:43:51 pm »

The way I figure, this would make an awesome parody mafia. And it would end up a lot less horribly than this ever would in GD.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 10:45:46 pm »

Make a mafia out of this NOW.

DO EEET.

Free Beer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:27:41 pm »

Ehhh, why not.

This is now a discussion thread for a religion-themed mafia. I'll update the first post.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 11:35:43 pm »

Add the major religions as sides.  Everyone in each religion knows each other, but not the other religions.  The goal for each religion is to destroy the others before they are destroyed.

This would so work.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 11:35:50 pm »

While this may not have been your intention, know any other options would have ended badly. We simply cannot handle the three big unspeakable topics of the internet: Religion, Politics, and Sex. They all devolve into crap.

The way I see a religious mafia, the town would be average people and the mafias would be radical versions of various faiths. Seeing as these are unstable extremists, one can handle stereotypes with them so long as the idea that they are not like what their faith teaches stays. It should remove the problems associated with said subject matter.
 I dunno how to handle atheists.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 11:46:02 pm »

Proposal:

~40% Townies
~60% Religious, broken up into one-or-two person groups. Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Confucians, Taoists, and Buddhists (to steal the Civ IV religions). Atheists could be here, too.

Each religion is granted probably a single nightkill (Once per game, not once per night). The game proceeds until only one religion is left, at which point that religion, and any townspeople voting with them on the final day, win. I'd also suggest loading the townspeople with power roles, particularly doctor and roleblocker-type roles. Possibly cop as well, though I'm not sure.

The idea would be that each religion would be trying to find and befriend the townspeople while killing off the other religions. The townspeople would be trying to feel the currents well enough to end up siding with the winners at the end of the game.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Religion Mafia - Discussion and Brainstorming
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 11:55:35 pm »

We would need alot of players for multiple mafia groups though.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 12:05:21 am »

Proposal:

~40% Townies
~60% Religious, broken up into one-or-two person groups. Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Confucians, Taoists, and Buddhists (to steal the Civ IV religions). Atheists could be here, too.

Each religion is granted probably a single nightkill (Once per game, not once per night). The game proceeds until only one religion is left, at which point that religion, and any townspeople voting with them on the final day, win. I'd also suggest loading the townspeople with power roles, particularly doctor and roleblocker-type roles. Possibly cop as well, though I'm not sure.

The idea would be that each religion would be trying to find and befriend the townspeople while killing off the other religions. The townspeople would be trying to feel the currents well enough to end up siding with the winners at the end of the game.

How about you just scrap the town entirely and just have a few survivors? That way, being on the town isn't a free "You win!". Some of the scum teams should have 1-shot kills while others should have recruiting powers. Other possibilites include a 2p team with a doctor, 2 RBs, an unlynchable (but very killable) guy, an unkillable (but very lynchable) guy, ect.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 12:20:11 am »

I dunno how to handle atheists.   

Simply divide Atheists into 'Moderates' and "Cult of Reason" French Revolutionaries, wanting to gullionite all those who believe in reactionary religion. Of course, you could just call them "Dawkinists", but I like the Cult of Reason better.

A Religious Mafia I seen before had Neitzche, God, three Religious Cults, and the rest agnoistcs:
Neitzche: One-Shot Vig. Can choose to fire at day or night. Wins if God dies.
God: Serial Killer. Wins if Netizche dies. If he wins, God leaves the game.
Agnositics: Townie. Wins if God dies. Of course, if God leaves the game, then Agnostics will lose unless they get converted to a different Religion.
Cult Leaders: Convert as many Agnoistics as possible to your religion. You win when the other two Cult Leaders die. Make sure God doesn't die.

God knows who the Cult Leaders are, and the Cult Leaders know who God is. But God does not know who are the "Converts" to the Cult Leaders.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 12:22:25 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 12:30:29 am »

That sounds fun.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 12:52:05 am »

How about you just scrap the town entirely and just have a few survivors? That way, being on the town isn't a free "You win!". Some of the scum teams should have 1-shot kills while others should have recruiting powers. Other possibilites include a 2p team with a doctor, 2 RBs, an unlynchable (but very killable) guy, an unkillable (but very lynchable) guy, ect.

That would work too, the intent was to create a group that was "undecided", and large enough for the religions to consider it worth influencing. I'm not sure how survivors are different from the town in that context. I'd also worry about town/survivors lynching randomly Because They Can, so another possibility would be to hand out pro or anti religious roles to the townies (sort of like lynchers and anti-lynchers, but targeting religions).

Toony: The idea here would be that most of the players would be broken up into small groups with one-shot nightkills, rather than the mass slaughter that would happen if they were all "full" mafia groups.

Stealing a bit from Servant Corps, you could also have a leader from each of the religions and mostly townies, with the leaders recruiting townies into the different religions. I'd say that trying to recruit an already-recruited person would result in failure but not death, though recruiting another leader might. To mix things up a bit, there could be some "survivors" who would remain recruitable after conversion, or an array of powers that a leader could transfer to already-converted people (spend a night action to transfer the ability to convert, for example). I'd also make night-kills fairly rare, to let the game go on a bit longer. Something like:

The Jewish leader (Moses for flavor) starts off with the ability to convert, transfer abilities, roleblock, and grant double votes for the next day.

Night 1, Moses converts townie A
Night 2, Moses transfers the ability to convert from himself to townie A. Moses can no longer convert, but Townie A can. Night 3, Townie A can convert Townie B while Moses roleblocks the person he suspects of being the leader of the Hindus.

The idea would be that as religions grew, they would effectively gain more actions per night, and spread the risk of losing their leader over more people. Of course, if Townie A was a survivor and was converted Night 3 by the Hindus, that would be bad for them. Similarly, losing a fresh convert to a lynch isn't that big a deal, but losing the person you just transferred the ability to convert to would be.

For that sort of thing, I think I'd want a leader for every 4-5 townies or so, to let the game develop reasonably.

Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 12:54:23 am »

How about no kills and only converts?

Hah!

Religion that infects everyone wins!

Free Beer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 09:53:39 am »

I agree that we'll need at least three different factions in order to maintain flavor.

As for the "townies," how about the premise being that there is a single "dominant" religion which has been established for a long time, with 2-3 other religions that just moved in and are gaining in popularity? This retains the basic mechanic present in mafia games (informed minority vs uninformed majority).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6