Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Scotland's largest circulation newspaper reviews Dwarf Fortress  (Read 6138 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland's largest circulation newspaper reviews Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 09:19:01 am »

Maybe not directly, but it's possible.  He is kind of a two-man business, so there's not much to spend on development-wise.

Puns are, by definition, humourous.
Well, by definition yes, but in practice, not really.  :-\
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 09:27:27 am »

The point is...um...Scots like DF?

Hell yes we do!  :D

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 11:56:33 am »

Arming your dwarves and setting traps for potential invaders is key to keeping your colony safe.

And why the hell would we want to do that?  :D

No but seriously, any press for Dwarf Fortress may result in more donations for Toady One which may result in more progress being made on the game which may result in more fun for us  ;)!

Actually, more donations won't make much of a difference; Toady seems to code at a certain rate non-dependent on money. Time would produce progress, not donations.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 01:04:28 pm »

More donations could avoid future slow downs though - if Toady get sick and don't have a health care plan he vcould take longer to recover for example. Or like some recent example, when it was too hot for him to work - if he had the money, he could pay for some refrigeration.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 03:03:59 pm »

I could say some things here, but I'm feeling unusually kind to Scotland today. :P
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 03:43:16 pm »

While I should probably follow your lead and not talk about puns further, I will just say:

You're right, they're not puns. Puns are, by definition, humourous. And now that I think about it, disregarding that, you're probably still right.

Of course we do, why is it strange that people in a constituent country in the developed world like a computer game?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 04:16:51 pm »

I didn't say it was strange. In fact, the last line of that quote was really just a clever ruse of mine to appear remotely on topic. I'm glad it fooled somebody.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 04:21:17 pm »

From my point of view, the more people who know about or play DF, the better.

If they happen to be short, bearded and speak with a Scottish accent, so much the better.

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 04:52:16 pm »

I didn't say it was strange. In fact, the last line of that quote was really just a clever ruse of mine to appear remotely on topic. I'm glad it fooled somebody.

I feel no anger or hostility towards you because of this, due to the fact that you managed to get the thread on topic. Thank you sir.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 04:56:55 pm »

If they happen to be short, bearded and speak with a Scottish accent, so much the better.
Well the first and second aren't guaranteed, but two out of three ain't bad.

I have a fake Scottish accent.  Don't know how good it sounds.  Some day I'd like a chance to improve it.  As with all my fake accents.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

NiknudStunod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2009, 09:14:09 pm »

Hell yes we do!  :D

I always imagine my dwarfs have a Scottish accent.  Do Scot's give there dwarfs a different accent...say Asian?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 10:06:02 pm »

I just realized that the only troll I've ever seen was in the Nist Akath thread.

I've only seen one troll, but it was a big one.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 10:11:14 pm »

I just realized that the only troll I've ever seen was in the Nist Akath thread.

Ah good old Moin... You gotta laugh...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2009, 10:50:52 pm »

Ah good old Moin... You gotta laugh...

That rocked. Okay, so now I've seen two trolls.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2009, 11:19:36 pm »

Huh.. whats weird is I thought moin was a lot more reasonable in that thread than some of the other posters, who got downright nasty...

Anyways, pretty cool to see DF reviewed in a major newspaper. Also, please, more puns.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4