Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Scotland's largest circulation newspaper reviews Dwarf Fortress  (Read 6148 times)

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland's largest circulation newspaper reviews Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 10:22:06 am »

http://blogs.dailyrecord.co.uk/gaming/2009/08/dwarf-fortress---pcmac.html

above is a link to the online edition of the Daily Record review of DF, it was also in the print version in the video games section.

apologies if this is a repost or in the wrong section it seemed the most fitting and i had searched for daily record beforehand.

Well that's probably one of the few articles in the Daily Record that I agree with because it's not the usual sensationalist nonsense they often have.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 10:29:22 am »

Well that's probably one of the few articles in the Daily Record that I agree with because it's not the usual sensationalist nonsense they often have.

You can have the strangest fetishists or sociopathic megalomaniacs, but when it comes to it, we all agree on one thing and that is Dwarf Fortress.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 11:10:58 am »

Huh, a reasonable review, if rather terse.  It merely hints at the complexity involved...which is good to get newbies into it.  I feel bad for his un-boozed dwarfs, though.  Hopefully he has kept to it, and walks among us even now...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 12:31:27 pm »

rather than devolving into flamewars with the admins, or worse things.

I knew there was a reason I stopped going to the BSF forums...That and a complete lack of interesting discussion on any topic ("Look at my new shits!" is not interesting nor discussion--spelling error left for humor).

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 03:11:03 pm »

Something tells me that 'Look at my new shits!' isn't an error, the same way you don't correct someone for saying pwned.

Anyway, it seems to me that every popular forum I visit is a total scumhole, but it might just be that I always chance into the worst ones... Runescape forums (ten year old trolls), Wydrysm, WoW (I just look for teh lulz though, so that makes me biased), CoX (some parts of it anyway), MMORPG.com... but in contrast, pretty much all of the forums I ever actively participated in were small. Auto Assault (now closed), Biomek.org (now a graveyard) Apokalypsos (see sig), Jumpgate, Bay12, and not many others. So again, maybe I'm just biased.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jinkii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 04:03:59 pm »

I agree that anyone who perseveres past the UI and the concave learning curve must have a bit of nouse about them, i was as surprised as anyone that Dwarf Fortress got a review in the daily record, although i reckon that should be Preview what with DF being an alpha release.
I believe that the reviewer is as incredulous as i am about df being the creation of 2 people (with a recent increase in people volunteering to help witht he graphics).
there isnt many fora on the internet where discussion into subjects relating to a game can be held without it degenerating into flamewars and trolling, you should all be rightly proud of yourselves

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 12:48:06 am »

"Look at my new shits!" is not interesting nor discussion--spelling error left for humor.
And so you joined a forum where half the threads are "Look at my new schist!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 12:54:22 am »

I count Dwarf Fortress as having Three Authors... but I guess if you include those people working on the new code the team actually gets larger.

If you include the people making suggestions and Bug Squashing it is even larger!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 12:59:38 am »

"Look at my new shits!" is not interesting nor discussion--spelling error left for humor.
And so you joined a forum where half the threads are "Look at my new schist!"

Yes. Geology puns are the very definition of class and humor.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 01:05:50 am »

Ohh my goodness, stop it with those puns. You're on very rocky ground right now!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 01:43:00 am »

Based on the brevity of his review and the quote: "give the development team a wee donation for all their hard work." I wonder how much he has actually played the game.
Granted threetoe probably counts as part of the development crew. So it would be fair to say "thier" instead of "his".
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 01:51:42 am »

Ohh my goodness, stop it with those puns. You're on very rocky ground right now!

What's the saying, let he who is without sin cast the first stone? Besides, you have to pick your words carefully to have puns as good as mine.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 02:02:42 am »

Those arn't even puns Kinseti!

At least if understood as you using words that present two alternate meanings but seem to present an allusion to a similar word. Hmm I really need to check this because now it is bothering me.

MUST CHECK DICTIONARY!!!

And must stop derailing topic... (so this is my last post)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 02:05:01 am by Neonivek »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 02:24:25 am »

While I should probably follow your lead and not talk about puns further, I will just say:

You're right, they're not puns. Puns are, by definition, humourous. And now that I think about it, disregarding that, you're probably still right.

The point is...um...Scots like DF?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 06:57:15 am »

Arming your dwarves and setting traps for potential invaders is key to keeping your colony safe.

And why the hell would we want to do that?  :D

No but seriously, any press for Dwarf Fortress may result in more donations for Toady One which may result in more progress being made on the game which may result in more fun for us  ;)!
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4