Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Scotland's largest circulation newspaper reviews Dwarf Fortress  (Read 6147 times)

Jinkii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://blogs.dailyrecord.co.uk/gaming/2009/08/dwarf-fortress---pcmac.html

above is a link to the online edition of the Daily Record review of DF, it was also in the print version in the video games section.

apologies if this is a repost or in the wrong section it seemed the most fitting and i had searched for daily record beforehand.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland's largest circulation newspaper reviews Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:45:18 pm »

Based on the brevity of his review and the quote: "give the development team a wee donation for all their hard work." I wonder how much he has actually played the game.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 07:08:53 pm »

To be fair, if you count the people working on graphical tweaks as well, it could be considered a team.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:01:18 pm »

There are two names metionned in the Dwarf Fortress main menue but team could be better replaced with Bros (Dothey say "bros" in Scotland?).
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 09:05:05 pm »

I appreciate the fact that they use the image that is not horribly outdated, if only because nothing much has changed on that particular screen. Better than the 2D screenshots.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:11:58 pm »

Friendly community? pfff.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:24:50 pm »

To be fair, if you didn't actually spend time on the main site, you wouldn't believe the game was created by one guy and occasional consultation with his brother.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:26:24 pm »

If you spent some time on the forum you would know it's not only occasional.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 09:52:59 pm »

Hooray!

I'm just happy that someone in somewhere that resembles mainstream isn't put off by ASCII graphics.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 11:47:24 pm »

Actually, yeah.  People don't often do "malicious' (I guess you could call it) trolling, we really don't often have flamewars, those normally only pop up when a discussion about religion or spore come up, we don't have enough banning for there to be a ban list*, and people seem to get along fairly well most of the time.  Most of the time.  More than can be said for larger forums, really. 

*On Something Awful new people looking to get into the goon squad in WoW will sometimes be told to do something that will certainly get them banned.  Some spend a lot of money trying to do this.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 02:34:15 am »

I get the feeling this reviewer actually played the game for fun instead of just trying to get a quick "playthrough" so they could review it. Which is so very rare. And good.

And yeah, by general internet standards we have a very calm community for one this size. It's been said before, but it's probably because stupid people can't brave DFs learning curve to begin with...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 02:52:03 am »

Actually, yeah.  People don't often do "malicious' (I guess you could call it) trolling, we really don't often have flamewars, those normally only pop up when a discussion about religion or spore come up, we don't have enough banning for there to be a ban list*, and people seem to get along fairly well most of the time.  Most of the time.  More than can be said for larger forums, really. 

*On Something Awful new people looking to get into the goon squad in WoW will sometimes be told to do something that will certainly get them banned.  Some spend a lot of money trying to do this.

Hehe, I just looked through one of the religion threads. It was actually fairly civil. The worst it got was name-calling.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 04:52:09 am »

Here, or there?

And yeah, we're pretty friendly to people who don't get the learning curve as well. "How do I blank" threads are quickly answered and sink to the bottom, to be referenced later, rather than devolving into flamewars with the admins, or worse things.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 07:32:36 am »

It's fairly obvious he hasn't been playing for long:

Quote from: Daily Record
[...]and your carpenter won't be able to craft tables, chairs and wooden trinkets.
Carpenters don't make wooden trinkets. And wasting precious wood on tables chairs (and trinkets, for that matter) which can equally easily be made with stone?

If there's no river or brook nearby, then dwarven dehydration becomes a distinct possibility.
Booze?

As you colony grows, it quickly becomes a juggling act trying to keep everyone safe from harm, especially as you have to keep an eye on dwindling stock and provide everyone with jobs.
Safe from harm, we have to do that? Dwindling stock? Jobs?

But still, mainstream recognition is always nice to have.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 07:39:06 am »

Here, or there?

And yeah, we're pretty friendly to people who don't get the learning curve as well. "How do I blank" threads are quickly answered and sink to the bottom, to be referenced later, rather than devolving into flamewars with the admins, or worse things.

It took me three hours to browse through all those train wrecks. You just stole three hours of my life.

That aside, their mods are fun and vulgar. Our mods are fun and civil. And apparently demigods. Toady created DF, Kurtulmak is essentially the god of Kobolds, and ThreeToe is.. ... Well, I'm not sure what ThreeToe is, but whatever he is, it has three toes.

EDIT: Ye gods, their Religion thread. It appalls me. There's so much jerkassness and hostility in there. Also, the one or two posters standing up for Religion didn't make it any better, seeing as one was very mild and therefore unsuited for a discussion at that temperature, and the other one was apparently immune to debate.

FURTHER EDIT: I just realized that the only troll I've ever seen was in the Nist Akath thread.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:33:55 am by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4