Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Engraving ceilings  (Read 4696 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving ceilings
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 11:01:02 am »

Building a floor from the level underneath is kind of silly. If you're building the roof of a structure, you do it while on the level of the roof, not standing eight feet below.

I'm thinking of a new sort of floor that would only show when you have dug out the tile.

See, what is silly is having to dig through a block of dirt to have a proper ceiling.

I'm not sure I follow. You're saying it's silly that you have to actually clear out the space below a surface in order for that surface to act like a ceiling?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 11:23:16 am »

What? No, he meant for the ceiling.

Code: [Select]
Level  0 _____
Level -1 █████
Level -2 █████
Level -3 _____
Level -4 █████

Currently, to create a nice ceiling for Level -3, we'd have to dig Level -2 and make floor/(wall?) constructions to turn muddy soil into a more favourable solid material, or dig normally into a rock layer, smooth + engrave.

Level  0 _____
Level -1 █████
Level -2 _____
Level -3 _____
Level -4 █████
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:24:55 am by Nexii Malthus »

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 12:17:57 pm »

I don't think that actually effects room quality so much as it offends your OCD  :)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 02:39:52 pm »

So no building additional floors or ceilings, just a few extra lines of text in the programming (when possible since I dont know what the ceiling would be if the level above is soil)

This was what I had in mind. I like the idea of being able to build ceilings in the same way floors are built as well.

All that would really mean is adding another 'slice' to the tile. But there are a lot of things that could be implemented using ceilings: Chandeliers, the aforementioned engravings, maybe things like ventilation and sprinkler systems once pipes are implemented. It makes more sense to place those outside of the normal tile area, and possibly even out of sight. I'd want a toggle key that switched the view to the 'ceiling' layer to make working with it simpler, but I think it has a lot of potential.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 02:41:53 pm »

What? No, he meant for the ceiling.

Level  0 _____
Level -1 █████
Level -2 █████
Level -3 _____
Level -4 █████

Currently, to create a nice ceiling for Level -3, we'd have to dig Level -2 and make floor/(wall?) constructions to turn muddy soil into a more favourable solid material, or dig normally into a rock layer, smooth + engrave.

Level  0 _____
Level -1 █████
Level -2 _____
Level -3 _____
Level -4 █████

Oh, I see, referring to custom ceilings. In other words, replacing your stone ceiling with gold without having to dig up the stone above.

Right now I think it can just be abstracted away since dwarves don't seem to give a damn, but yeah.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 02:48:58 pm »

So no building additional floors or ceilings, just a few extra lines of text in the programming (when possible since I dont know what the ceiling would be if the level above is soil)

This was what I had in mind. I like the idea of being able to build ceilings in the same way floors are built as well.

All that would really mean is adding another 'slice' to the tile. But there are a lot of things that could be implemented using ceilings: Chandeliers, the aforementioned engravings, maybe things like ventilation and sprinkler systems once pipes are implemented. It makes more sense to place those outside of the normal tile area, and possibly even out of sight. I'd want a toggle key that switched the view to the 'ceiling' layer to make working with it simpler, but I think it has a lot of potential.

No offense, but I really hope sprinkler systems and ventilation aren't ever implemented.  Pipes maybe.  Miasma works as a good approximation to the problems of ventilation, and could be extended to other phenomena (natural gas, for example.)  Knowing the dwarfs, the sprinkler system would probably used to distribute alcohol in case someone catches on sobriety.  I think hand-held sobriety extinguishers are a more viable alternative.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 02:50:20 pm »

Ventilation is such an important factor of any underground complex that not implementing it seems odd to me. The limiting factor is how you can do it without making the game less fun, and how you'd simulate it.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 03:13:07 pm »

Ventilation is such an important factor of any underground complex that not implementing it seems odd to me. The limiting factor is how you can do it without making the game less fun, and how you'd simulate it.

Any implementation would add more FUN.

Another way to die is always good :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 06:25:37 pm »

I don't think you would need to for your dorf. They aren't humans, we need ventelate as high co2 level can be deadly for us.

The dwarf can see in pitch blackness, which says to me night vision out of dNd. So, maybe they have a high co2 tollerance or perhaps they're metabolism can take in a micture of co2 and o2, and that part of cave adopation is having a hard time taking in more o2.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 08:02:23 pm »

The problem is it would be impossible to show where ceilings have been smoothed and when they are still rough.

How about making the smooth floor job ALSO smooth the ceiling above it. It would just take a bit longer. That way if you see engraved floor you know that the ceiling is also of high quality.

The catch is that the ceiling has to be a suitable material. Rock, wood, ice etc all good. But no sand and no peat.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 01:57:52 pm »

If we are going to treat the ceiling as something separate from the floor above it, why not just make it of the same material as the floor?  It would simplify a lot of layer-flipping gymnastics.

I simply don't see how a fort COULD be ventilated, unless its as basic as the distance to the nearest outdoors tile.  Water/magma flows are a huge drag on CPU speeds as-is, and assuming you could simulate the airflow in a reasonable way, you'd basically have to set up a giant fans to move the air around.  (Another way to 'ventilate' the air could be the underground equivalent of greenhouses; put potted plants in hallways and bedrooms.)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 02:09:48 pm »

If we are going to treat the ceiling as something separate from the floor above it, why not just make it of the same material as the floor?

Because the point is having different material ceilings. Particularily when the material above is less-than ideal.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 03:34:09 pm »

If we are going to treat the ceiling as something separate from the floor above it, why not just make it of the same material as the floor?

Because the point is having different material ceilings. Particularily when the material above is less-than ideal.

Sorry, I must not be clear.  I mean the same material as the level you would observe it from.  I.e., the floor is granite, the ceiling is granite.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 09:59:13 pm »

The point of adding a ceiling 'layer' would be so that objects and engravings could be placed on it that did not fill the tile. I still say being able to hit a toggle key of some sort and switch to a ceiling layer view is the way to do it.

On the subject of venilation: Yes, you'd need giant fans. Or wind, or a clever arrangement that uses differences in temperature to circulate air, etc. etc. There are plenty of ways to do it. You can look at ants and termites for examples of what I'm talking about. Leaf cutter ants actually use the heat generated by their garbage pile as it decays to ventilate their nests, and the ventilation arrangements of termite mounds have been duplicated in some high rise buildings to cut down on energy usage.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 02:44:02 am »

A central ventilation shaft that goes to to the surface with air ducts leading to it. The fan would be similarly function to a screw pump.

But I stress, that I don't think think the dorf are in much fear of co2 poising. However, the human, elves, goblins and kobolds would be in danger of over co2 saturation.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6