Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So me new bee qu est ions.  (Read 1686 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
So me new bee qu est ions.
« on: August 14, 2009, 03:49:14 am »

Дык вот.

The history:
Year 20. The fortress started.
Year 21. There has been made some adamantine weapons and armor.
All that were stacked in a handmade cave, behind the locked doors (1) and the bridge (2) that operated by the lever situated near it and covering the specially carefully channelled moat.
There were many other things created during everyday fortress life like food/drink/clothing/weapons/bags/bars/stones/bones and other trash.

Year 22. Orxz invasion repelled. Some preparations for adventure mode. And then i abandon the fortress.

Year 23. Started playing in adventure mode hoping to find adamantine stuff. Fool.
When i arrived to the fortress (maybe some days travelling from the start date) there were many friendly Orxz many stuff dispersed all around.
The bridge (2) was on his place, rised making impassable wall. Level made it passable ;-)
The second stop were at the doors (1), all of them were locked too, so i bashed them out before i saw that... NO stuff behind. WTF??!

Strangely the iron/copper/slag stuff i've made to train smiths were all on their places, nobody interested in it - and all that were lying openly in underground stockpiles connected with tens of stairs here and there.

I was deeply grieved seeing all my fruitless efforts during fortress mode.
But then i decided to search all orxz bodies (they were alive till then) - but they were carrying no adamantine weapons, nor armors, not a single one piece of my dwarves works (BUT those masterful works WERE in legends!, i've checked).

Some stuff i've found lying +-2 squares (map squares that are of 48 step) around the fortress and that were just some gauntlets, arrows and adamantine bars, but no armor, no weapons.

So... WTF?
My precious masterwork adamantine stuff dissipated from behind the bridge and doors. HOW?

Maybe it have to be stored in a pit without a stair/ramp?
But how then i take it out of there? Maybe adventurer can jump down a level and up and i don't know about it? ;-)

*Also i'm complaining about hemorroidal inventory shuffling system to wield a weapon in the right hand and put a bar in THAT ONE leather bag!*
Finis sanctificat media.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: So me new bee qu est ions.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 09:15:10 am »

Stuff goes walkabouts when you abandon. The heavier it is, the less it moves. Next time, chuck all the stuff you want to keep in a lead bin.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:56:47 am »

Stuff goes walkabouts when you abandon. The heavier it is, the less it moves. Next time, chuck all the stuff you want to keep in a lead bin.

He has a point though. The game really shouldn't move things that would be impossible to access.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:13:28 pm »

It really shouldn't instantly move stuff through doors either. You slaughter an entire human capital, leave one square and come back and there are body parts and clothes every couple tiles. Why?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 12:36:22 pm »

Faries?

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 01:34:15 pm »

Yeah right I stopped believing in the corpse fairy when I was like 10 years old.  Freakin kiddie stuff.
Turns out it was my parents picking up the corpses and leaving me clothes the whole time, just making up stories to maintain my "innocence" or something

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 07:12:50 pm »

Yeah right I stopped believing in the corpse fairy when I was like 10 years old.  Freakin kiddie stuff.
Turns out it was my parents picking up the corpses and leaving me clothes the whole time, just making up stories to maintain my "innocence" or something
Reminded me of this
http://www.enterthejabberwock.com/?p=449

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 09:07:52 pm »

I laughed for almost a minute at that and got some very funny looks.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:35:37 am »

Great. No Christmas, no birthdays, no Hanukkah, no quanza and now I discover that I never even got the corpse fairy. Being a Jehovah's witness sucks :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 11:38:38 am »

Great. No Christmas, no birthdays, no Hanukkah, no quanza and now I discover that I never even got the corpse fairy. Being a Jehovah's witness sucks :D

ProfessorA wins.

Rowanas conquers!
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 12:19:35 pm »

Y'know, you could always sig me to show your appreciation... :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 07:24:49 am »

Its probably usefull to add that any item that weighs more than 1000 units doesnt scatter. Adamantine in wooden bins allways scatters, wooden bins with copper rubbish is heavy as hell, it doesnt scatter.

This also goes for stuff left by adventurers, as I found out after embarking on a backpack with a ton of corpses in it. Amusingly the backpack even prevented rotting. Just dont ask me why I stuffed a backpack full of corpses.

Anyhow, use heavy metals like lead, gold and platinum to make bins, those never scatter.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 03:04:19 pm »

I'm going to be making special bins for my adamantine stuff using imported lead. It will be like Sarah Connor's tomb...

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 03:24:06 am »

I lol'd so hard

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 03:43:54 am »

Its probably usefull to add that any item that weighs more than 1000 units doesnt scatter. Adamantine in wooden bins allways scatters, wooden bins with copper rubbish is heavy as hell, it doesnt scatter.
The contained-relationship seems to only last one reload, though, which means that instead of a lead bin containing your goods, you have a lead bin with your goods next to them...which means they'll scatter next go.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets