Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An underwater, playable civ  (Read 1849 times)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
An underwater, playable civ
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:34:57 pm »

Is this possible? Would they live if I made them completely dependent on water and drown in air? Would it be possible to make embark choose a location underwater instead of on land?
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
Re: An underwater, playable civ
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:41:01 pm »

To my current knowledge:

You wouldn't be able to make underwater forts with them. They would get the error "Urist McFish cancels Dig: Unsafe terrain" or what have you, and would run out of the underwater area. That's if they were amphibious.

I haven't tested aquatic, but you still wouldn't be able to create forts in the ocean and they'd immediately air-drown on land. They'd also not move into the water because of "dangerous terrain."

This is due to a hardcoded feature that makes it so that underwater terrain is always labeled dangerous, regardless of whether your fishmen or anything else you decide like modding can actually survive.

It's the same way with flying creatures, in fact. For the same reason.

Would like someone else to confirm this, but these have been my experiences.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:02:41 am »

I confirm what he says.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 02:35:53 am »

The pathing is hardcoded and can't handle underwater things; even if you make a playable race the best swimmers in the world they'll still scream like a little girl elf and run away as soon as their toes get damp.

As Glacial said; the same thing happens with flying dudes.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:31:05 am »

don't bother, this won't happen for a long time, I can't wait till it finally does though :'(

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 08:54:30 am »

Agreed with Eidolon. I had an amphibious race that loved extremely cold temperatures and they would do incredibly stupid things like attempt to build a constructed floor between waterwheels from underneath the surface of the water.

I do have to disagree with the statements about amphibious races running away from water, however. My builders would quite happily traipse through 7/7 water to get to the other side of the self-built river so they could construct a building on the other side - the problem was with building overtop of the river or on its edge. And the legendary wrestlers would love to jump into the water to literally tear apart carp.

I just wish their AI was a little better so I didn't have to un-suspend construction orders two-dozen times because they believed that being a Z-level below the appropriate level was equivalent.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:43:44 am »

Quick question: how do nonplayable aquatic and amphibius civs do under water? Do they thrive? And, if so inclined, will they lay siege to a player's coastal fortress?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:56:22 am »

As far as I know, you really can't do anything of the like at the current time. I tried in the past with a modded siren race, it never worked out.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 12:10:52 pm »

Quick question: how do nonplayable aquatic and amphibius civs do under water? Do they thrive? And, if so inclined, will they lay siege to a player's coastal fortress?
Seeing as how there is no tag to tell a civ to start underwater(or is there?), Aquatic races fare very badly I would assume, in that they air-drown immediately, in fact, they might not even be created during world gen.
Amphibious civs would be fine, as they can still live above land.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 03:43:06 pm »

You /can/ in fact use the starting biome entity token to convince races to start underwater, yes. People have actually done that, at least.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 05:00:11 pm »

You /can/ in fact use the starting biome entity token to convince races to start underwater, yes. People have actually done that, at least.
The question is, will they create underwater cities?

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 05:18:55 pm »

The question is, will they create underwater cities?
The question of the question is, will you be able to vist them in adventure mode?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 05:25:40 pm »

Supposedly you can fiddle enough to make the cities appear on the map, but visiting them will result in a crash as cities are hardcoded. At least, I do specifically recall one person reporting this...but I've not managed to do so.