Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Silly Question: Why no love for the Wehrmacht?  (Read 14456 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: Silly Question: Why no love for the Wehrmacht?
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2009, 08:17:08 pm »

one option would be to fight the battle of Berlin. Rather than the standard ww2 shootr plot line of conquering the foe it could play more like a survival horror, can you survive the russian onslaught in order to either escape in a plane or surrender to the western allies?

You could have a sand box ruined berlin with different sectors falling, and you'd have to make decisions on how you wish to survive.

This way you could ahve a fairly intense thoughtful shooter with a decent objective with out worrying about being on the loosing side, because in effect the war is already lost, the game is about survival instead.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2009, 08:28:12 pm »

I like that idea alot de5.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2009, 09:10:52 pm »

let's combine it with the 'alternative history' idea and make it a soviet zombie onslaught  ;D
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2009, 09:43:39 pm »

As much as I approve of zombies, I fear it might miss the point of the thread...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2009, 12:25:10 am »

let's combine it with the 'alternative history' idea and make it a soviet zombie onslaught  ;D

"You think Nazis were bad? What you don't know is that Hitler never hated Jews and non-Arians, it was all actually a cover-up to stop the Zombie outbreak!"

Haha, best plot twist ever.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2009, 02:32:54 am »

A Call of Duty style game played from the POV of a German in WW2 would cause the usual alarmists in the press to start screaming for blood, no matter how tastefully it was done. In any case it probably couldn't be sold in Germany since they're super-sensitive about both violent video games and Nazis, even if it wasn't banned outright the developers might have a hard time getting it distributed. The game could be economically viable if it was marketed correctly by people who knew how to turn controversy into free publicity. The original GTA and Postal both fell into this category, neither was a good game but they were financially successful because the media was screaming about how they were going to turn our children into killers.....but that was ten years ago and it might be much harder to do these days.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2009, 02:39:32 am »

I don't really know how much money the original Postal netted RWS, seeing as they got sued because of it...

And wasn't there something where any depiction of a Swastika is banned in Germany?  Including games?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2009, 02:41:15 am »

"You think Nazis were bad? What you don't know is that Hitler never hated Jews and non-Arians, it was all actually a cover-up to stop the Zombie outbreak!"

Haha, best plot twist ever.

OMG! The Iranians have been right the whole time!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2009, 06:22:02 am »

And wasn't there something where any depiction of a Swastika is banned in Germany?  Including games?

Not any depiction:

[the ban] shall not be applicable if the [using of Nazi symbols] serves to further civil enlightenment, to avert unconstitutional aims, to promote art or science, research or teaching, reporting about current historical events or similar purposes.

In practice, Nazi symbols seem to be banned from games (or companies avoid the confrontation over it), although it seems questionable if that's always in the spirit of the law (i.e. note the reference to art, or think of a game where you play *against* the Nazis).

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2009, 05:14:00 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:26:33 pm by MC Dirty »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2009, 07:09:16 pm »

Why can't we play as the Nazis?
Well, it's really easy: Losing sucks! Except in Dwarf Fortress, but most people still don't like losing.
Imagine playing a long FPS and it ends with: "Well, good job, but it was still for nothing. You lose."
I hate repeating myself, but - if there are Vietnam games, then how is losing in the end an issue? There are quite a few games where you play only to die in the end (look no further than Mafia, for a serious example). From my view, if the "losing" ending is unsatisfying, then there was something wrong with the game.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2009, 07:30:13 pm »

Eh, as long as it doesn't feel cheap. I still like the (mentioned pages ago, by the way) idea of running to surrender to the english/americans before the Russians slaughter you- that way it almost feels like a victory.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2009, 08:25:02 pm »

You still forget the MAJOR PUBLICITY that making such a game, and then LETTING the news "sniff" it out (we give it to them), would get you.  What did that Carver guy from James Bond say?
EDIT:  Ah yes, " There's no news... Like bad news."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:27:54 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2009, 11:30:01 am »

war isn't exactly lulzworthy.
War is very lulzworthy, cinema has been making light of wars for a long time now. Look up "Blackadder Goes Forth" for a whole TV show focused entirely on making fun of world war I.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2009, 05:01:52 pm »

Eh, as long as it doesn't feel cheap. I still like the (mentioned pages ago, by the way) idea of running to surrender to the english/americans before the Russians slaughter you- that way it almost feels like a victory.
The americans shoot you. Plot twiiiiist.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9