Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apprenticeships  (Read 1025 times)

Sankis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Apprenticeships
« on: August 23, 2006, 09:58:00 pm »

Let me preface this by saying that I only read part of that huge "to do" list for development. My apologies if this is covered in there.

Anyway, in my last game I was thinking about how useless the children are. All they do is eat my food and move about randomly doing nothing of real interest. Then in time they turn into skillless a peasant. This got me thinking.

Since proper schooling isn't something I think dwarves would be into, what if you could assign dwarven children into apprenticeships?

For example: Say I have a child running around. I'd be able to selection him and assign him to be the apprentice of, say, a mason.

Once this was done, the Child would follow the mason around everyday and observe. Since the mason now has a child to worry about and to instruct in his art, he'll suffer a mild penalty to his efficiency. Not too high, but not too low either. Maybe 5%-10%? However, to make it all worth it a successful apprenticeship would give the Child some real skills when he fully matures and becomes an adult/peasant.

Another example: I assign a child to become a 10 skill mason's apprentice. The child matures and, because of his apprenticeship, starts out at a low, but decent, skill level in masonry. Perhaps something like 1/2 or 1/3  the Master's skill and rounded down.

Kepa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apprenticeships
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 03:44:00 am »

This is already planned in one of the bloats.  I only know this because it's mentioned along with assigning personal workshops, which I have an interest in.  Less interesting to me: The prosthetic beard system.

A trait inheritance system might be cool, too.   A child turning into an adult could have higher than normal in stats if their parents had high stats.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 04:16:00 am »

Dwarves gain traits like Strong, Agile and so on by training. Advantages gained by training aren't usually hereditary :-)

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 05:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zonk:
<STRONG>Dwarves gain traits like Strong, Agile and so on by training. Advantages gained by training aren't usually hereditary :-)</STRONG>

Unless we have some Lamarckian evolution going on.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 06:04:00 pm »

I suppose we'll need to add docking.  Then we can test this theory.  Docking in the animal part removal sense.  Not in either of the two other senses on wikipedia.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!