Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ok WTF, dwarves wont stay indoors.  (Read 2773 times)

deathc4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ok WTF, dwarves wont stay indoors.
« on: August 13, 2009, 03:58:18 am »

Even though I have "stay the f*** indoors" on. I forbid them to collect anything.

One god damn gobber dies outside and what do they all do? rush straight out of the fortress to collect something. I had forbid collect enemy body/stuff.

So WTF is wrong with the damn dwarfs? I am a bit pissed ass I lost alot of dwarfs just to them not following the damn orders.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ok WTF, dwarves wont stay indoors.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:15:39 am »

Personality descriptions be dammed, dwarves loooove sunshine. So much so they dance with glee at the fort's entrances!

But seriously, long-term bug that has been around for ages, Toady has talked about fixing it in the version he's working on now however. For the time being you may have to resort to physically forcing your dwarves to stay inside if you don't want to auto-forbid dropped items.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 07:27:24 am »

You have obviously never read boatmurdered have you?  ;)
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:53:50 am »

Slaves to Armok: God of Blood
Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress Alpha

Expect the expected unexpectancies.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 08:16:12 am »

As note, the all dwarves stay inside order actually means all dwarves stay underground.

I noticed this when trying to build a little safe-house for my dwarves near the forest, they will keep trying to get underground, and preferably to your meeting areas.(Sculpture garden, dining room, etc)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 08:20:40 am »

I made my sculpture garden outside at the top of a tall tower once (experiment to prevent cave sickness).  When I ordered them all inside, it went a bit weird.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 09:28:25 am »

Yea, it can go wierd sometimes and maybe even choose the wrong safe place.

In one fort some time back, I had hollowed out a one z-level hill (may have had a few more z-levels on it, I forget) which was almost entirely made of soil. I had planned on putting some UG farms in there but didn't finish the safe passageway when an ambush came. Some dwarves who were stuck outside ducked into the cave with the only exit blocked by the gobbos. I thought they were going to outrun or try to outmaneuver the gobbos, but I don't have to tell you what the results were.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 09:43:32 am »

This is why my previous two forts were built with only a single entrance to the underground, via stairwell. I built a keep/barracks around that stairwell and trapped it so heavily that not a single enemy could get through. Haven't lost a civilian dwarf ever since.

(Well except for one mishap where I forgot that crossbows can shoot across z-levels and there were channels directly over the sleeping area. Fun!)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 10:32:27 am »

This is why my previous two forts were built with only a single entrance to the underground, via stairwell. I built a keep/barracks around that stairwell and trapped it so heavily that not a single enemy could get through. Haven't lost a civilian dwarf ever since.

(Well except for one mishap where I forgot that crossbows can shoot across z-levels and there were channels directly over the sleeping area. Fun!)
This is pretty much what I did.  My random tower also had fortifications in, allowing my dwarfs to shoot enemies.  And there was an enormous moat around the edge, which meant I was pretty much self sufficient, and as long as I kept my dwarfs away from the edge of the moat during an Orc strike I took no casualties.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 05:33:48 pm »

Pro tip: put walls behind your moats.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 05:56:54 pm »

I couldn't be bothered, to be honest.  It was probably going to cause more casualties from stupid masons walling themselves in.

deathc4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 09:15:32 pm »

I've calmed down now. They died and they deserved it.

For an alpha its still awesome. Been playing for over a year now, first time they have done anything this stupid.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 09:53:17 pm »

I heard this was being fixed in the next version with designated safe zones.

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 03:50:00 am »

I had two Elite markdwarves charge over the entry bridge and to a few straggler orcs despite orders for ALL dwarves to stay inside, and despite orders to stay close to station, which was totally somewhere else.  ???

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 04:41:02 am »

yeah, the stay indoors order is buggy in several ways. I've also noticed that sometimes dwarves go out and REFUSE to come back inside...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: [1] 2