Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Building plans for an orbital laser  (Read 1853 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Building plans for an orbital laser
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 07:58:02 pm »

Water first. Then magma. No burny.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 08:33:05 pm »

Yeah, since you're already building a ridiculously complex floor covered in magma, why not also reroute a river to flow upwards (note: may not actually be possible) and then drop the water when enemies come.  They will begin to drown since enemies can't swim.

Then you drop the magma and they should, in theory, be crushed by falling obsidian.  You'll also get spammed with cavern collapse messages, but it's worth it, right?

And if you wanna go with encasing, you could make them resistant to the heat of magma.  And they'd need no breath too...

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 12:14:51 pm »

I'd be interested to know how you would control where the magma was routed to. Perhaps an array of levers, a lot of gear mechanism logic, and many, many pumps/floodgates?

Or perhaps pressure plates could be employed to help with selection.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 02:55:42 pm »

I'd be interested to know how you would control where the magma was routed to. Perhaps an array of levers, a lot of gear mechanism logic, and many, many pumps/floodgates?

Or perhaps pressure plates could be employed to help with selection.

You can do a binary coded switch system with an execute switch. Like for example:

Switches toggled (0= Off, 1= On)

10110 = Portal #22 with the execute switch at the entrance to the binary gallery to act as a final shot (or two of them like a twin-key administrated execution; like nuclear bombs and such are done.)

As for the toggle device consider a long line of water channeled or pressurized in a tunnel, and for the binary switches, use a single floodgate for each binary number (1,2,4,8...), and the "execution gates" to allow water to hit the final trigger(s) that releases all of the second gates to finalize the command to fire. There will be a catch a level below the switches that'll always be pumped back into the reservoir that powers the binary mechanism, allowing for pressure.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This could make for some interesting machines to be precisely timed and used, provided necessary functions and commands are set.

Caution, this may take ALOT of mechanisms to construct if you go by my thought of execution.

1 = 1 mech (1)
2 = 2 mechs. (10)
3 = 3 mechs. (11) opening a 3rd FG that uses the #3 switch.

It would be like a competition ladder to complete the execution.

You could try and modify my initial plans to work in that fashion instead. I'm just a tad burned out right now to figure that one out.

If anyone has a simpler method, be my guest. But, I'm not too hot with HEX or OCT or anything like that.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 03:13:58 pm by Itnetlolor »

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 03:13:36 pm »

I don't know if your system is powerful enough but you should definitely consider embarking on an area with an elven retreat, a large one if possible... Just imagine raining lava down onto unsuspecting elves! :)
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 03:29:13 pm »

I don't know if your system is powerful enough but you should definitely consider embarking on an area with an elven retreat, a large one if possible... Just imagine raining lava down onto unsuspecting elves! :)
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition dem dwarves!
Amongst our weaponry are such elements as fear, magma, surprise and some more magma.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 03:35:11 pm by MC Dirty »
Pages: 1 [2]