Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Building plans for an orbital laser  (Read 1859 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Building plans for an orbital laser
« on: August 13, 2009, 02:43:50 am »

Or at least something with the same effects.

So basically, the idea is, build a giant tower up to the tip top z level. Then, build a floor over the ENTIRE FREAKING WORLD, leaving holes every couple of squares. Place magma safe hatches on every open square and then link them all to seperate levers. Pump magma up the tower and use walls, built atop the floors, to channel it around to all the hatches. Then, once the entire system is filled, pull whatever lever you want and stratigically burn the world.

You think it would work?

it_is_coming

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building plans for an orbital laser
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 02:47:16 am »

That's actually a pretty good idea for a defense system. A toned-down version of course.
Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

And that ... that is immortality.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 02:50:28 am »

You could build it over the entirety (almost) of a 3x3 embark zone. Entire world won't work in fort mode and it will take you 3 months.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 03:09:30 am »

I'm building something quite similar over a 5x5 area, but with a different objective: my plan is to make an obsidian layer on the sky, so I'm making a floor at a high level, and a couple levels higher yet another with 4x4 bridges every few steps, which I will open to let first magma and then water down.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 03:17:08 am »

Embark on an area with multiple magma pipes? Actually, I'd like to see an embark covered with the most lava features possible xD

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 04:09:57 am »

You could build it over the entirety (almost) of a 3x3 embark zone. Entire world won't work in fort mode and it will take you 3 months.

That would actually make it a pretty intense megaproject.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 06:04:57 am »

Embark on an area with multiple magma pipes? Actually, I'd like to see an embark covered with the most lava features possible xD

Currently it's limited to one magma pipe and one magma pool maximums per square....shame really, we always need more magma

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 06:55:51 am »

Provided that you divide it into areas separated by walls, there's no reason you couldn't cover as large an area as you have fortress.

You need to separate the areas to prevent losing your magma to 'evaporation'- make sure the area you are filling is always small enough to prevent the magma level from dropping below 2/7. Once there's enough magma up there (keep pumping and wait for the pipe to refill as necessary) open up larger and larger areas.

While I had it easier dealing with depths rather than heights, I have filled a 5x5 z-level with magma- then found out that 8/7 magma evaporates, too...

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 06:57:15 am »

Currently it's limited to one magma pipe and one magma pool maximums per square....shame really, we always need more magma

Magma is like cowbell.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 04:51:08 pm »

I'd suggest each "hatch" be under a small reservoir, and use to trick of a co-linked drawbridge above that to fill from the main reservoir (hatch opens when bridge closes, and vice-versa, etc.).  That way each "laser blast" is a measured shot, not limitless. 

SPLORCH!

The hardest part would be the timing and aiming.  But that could also lead to a lot of fun, in every sense of the word.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 05:52:25 pm »

Once the entire system is filled, pull whatever lever you want and stratigically burn the world.

[/awesome]

Elf1: Well, we're at the fortress.
Elf2: Yep, this is it. You remembered the trade goods?
Elf1: Yep, a wooden short sword and four metric tons of cloth.
Elf2: Excellent. Hey, is it getting warmer?
Elf1: ...Yeah. Well maybe, OH GAWD OH GAWD OH
*gurgle*

Rather than having one big platform, how about if you have several individual satellites? I think it would be more awesome, if not more practical. But a giant dwarven laser is hardly practical in the first place, eh?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 05:58:52 pm »

Thing is though, a giant sky plate would allow for a much larger storage area for lava and allow for more hatches to be placed on the bottomside. This is about a column of magma, and less about waiting for enemies to wait underneath the deathrock.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 06:00:41 pm »

Remember, if it works first time without a flaw, you did it wrong.
Please don't hurt me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 06:17:27 pm »

I think you should work in water somewhere so it can also rain obsidian onto the heads of your enemies.

Or you could try encasing em Hans Solo style.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 07:46:56 pm »

I think you should work in water somewhere so it can also rain obsidian onto the heads of your enemies.

Or you could try encasing em Hans Solo style.

Wouldn't they burn from the magma? Or would their elvey bones be encased? Making Obsidian Short Swords out of Elf Obsidian is very appealing. But I really do like the obsidian boulder idea.
Pages: [1] 2