Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Social "Rules"  (Read 659 times)

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Social "Rules"
« on: August 23, 2006, 08:59:00 pm »

It would be nice to be able to encourage/discourage certain social behaviors.  Specifically, I'd like to encourage my women to breed sometimes (and not others).  I can also imagine encouraging a "party" atmosphere, which might boost mood, or a "workaholic" atmosphere.  Perhaps an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting for the dwarves that can't get through the work day without 7.3 liters of Dwarvish Rum?  Artsy attitudes that would boost craft/engraving skills at the sacrifice of military might?  Alternately, these attitudes could arise from playing style; this would be more challenging to put in, but I can see some of them working well.

I suspect that this implementation would work best with a noble.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Social "Rules"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 04:23:02 pm »

omg this gave me the hillarious mental image of the teetotaller crusader dwarf showing up and immediately atom smashed by the dwarfs without your help.

But having 'nobles' show up that change behaviour overall has potential, especially since people seem to enjoy killing the irritating ones.  (Would also add play value since the nobles could be randomized... Something like MOO heroes.  King arrives, and rather than the 'advisor' and 'philosopher' you get a random 4 advisor dwarves.  Abilities given by tags, and the more tags the harder they are to keep happy kind of thing.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 04:31:55 pm »

A customizable (or not) limit of friends that one dwarf could make wouldn't hurt either. Besides the tantrum spiral, it's just annoying to see that every dwarf has about two pages of friends and no grudges (or a single one). Seeing dwarves in my new fortress could ashame a carebear...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:52:46 pm »

My interpretation of Dwarven social life would be something like this:

The Gods (sometimes)
Immediate Family
-Parents
-Children/Spouse
-Siblings
Clan
Friends (2-4 maximum)
Guild/Squad
Acquaintances
Nation/Fortress
--Never met--
Grudge
-Personal
-Clan
-National
Humans?
Elves
Goblins
Kobolds
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 09:59:58 pm »

A customizable (or not) limit of friends that one dwarf could make wouldn't hurt either. Besides the tantrum spiral, it's just annoying to see that every dwarf has about two pages of friends and no grudges (or a single one). Seeing dwarves in my new fortress could ashame a carebear...
... I really wish I didn't have to work tommorow (and thusly go to bed fairly soon), or I would start work on a carebear mod. The stares wouldn't exactly be able to work in the exact way, but the hilarity factor would make up for it pretty much instantaniously.

*ponders how to include other cartoon races*
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 07:38:24 am »

omg this gave me the hillarious mental image of the teetotaller crusader dwarf showing up and immediately atom smashed by the dwarfs without your help.

Such an abomination against Dwarvenkind is fit only to grace the underside (or top) of Dwarven Drawbridges in the form of a smear of rapidly-expanding carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.

But having 'nobles' show up that change behaviour overall has potential, especially since people seem to enjoy killing the irritating ones.  (Would also add play value since the nobles could be randomized... Something like MOO heroes.  King arrives, and rather than the 'advisor' and 'philosopher' you get a random 4 advisor dwarves.  Abilities given by tags, and the more tags the harder they are to keep happy kind of thing.

Can we help it if building insane deathtraps is just too damn much fun?