Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Archold (Noob succession)  (Read 14076 times)

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archold (Noob succession)
« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2009, 06:14:54 am »

Havent read up yet, Thats ALOT of posts to read through and I'll get to it eventually >.>

Montigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2009, 02:30:10 pm »

1st Moonstone 208
I handed over my final report on how Archold operates and recommendations for improvements to Count Sibrek. He said he'd read through it once his broken arm heals up. Hah! I should've expected that. I bet he'll either lose it amongst all the crap that litters his rooms or feed it to the diplomat on the offchance that she might do something different as a result.

2nd Moonstone 208
I heard that Solon Controlledbodice, a mechanic, has started acting quite secretively and collecting assorted items in the mechanics workshop.

5th Moonstone 208
Besmar Tombplaited remains highly popular and has been reelected as Mayor. He still doesn't know how to crack a joke, typical politician.

7th Moonstone 208
Solon Controlledbodice has come out of the workshop with an amazing new mechanism made of marble and encrusted with pieces of gold opal, marble, leather and bone, he's calling it Basicfork.

14th Moonstone 208
Udib Manoryor, our unofficial military leader believes that there's goblins outside the fortress, supposedly being able to smell them. On this hunch from his nose, he has placed the military on high alert. In nose we trust.

15th Moonstone 208
A squad of seven gobbos has just charged across the killing field to the trade depot. Apparently most of them are wielding maces though I didn't hang around to confirm this. I've also heard that the mule chained outside has supposedly knocked a sword wielding gobbo unconscious.

I got the story later, when I was having a drink with Rovod Kindleinks, self proclaimed crossbow champion, the stray dog that was chained near the depot was knocked flying by one of the macegobbos and was dead by the time it hit the ground. The mule was thrown across the bridge by a wrestler gobbo but has survived the battle. A gobbo was knocked into the moat by Tun Lovemachines and Tosid Dashwheeled and then finished off by Tun. Tun also knocked another gobbo flying and by the time it hit the ground it was dead. Rigoth Claspstrife sliced off both legs and a hand of yet another gobbo before finishing him off by slicing his body in half. Rovod Kindleinks claimed three gobbos in the skirmish, turning one into a pincusion. The last gobbo of the squad was crushed to death when it charged through a stonefall trap.

16th Moonstone 208
Tun Lovemachines has gained for himself a victory title, with "the Armored Target of Ink" appended to his name.

22nd Moonstone 208
Rigoth Claspstrife chased down and butchered a gobbo thief that was spotted at the trade depot, once again slicing it in half.

28th Moonstone 208
Someone, possibly the Mayor, has decided to pave the entry courtyard and replace the old tower-cap doors with a pair of brushed aluminium doors, presumably to give Archold a more imposing entrance. I must say that it's better than the mud and clay that greeted me when I arrived.

5th Opal 208
The towers flanking the entrance to the fortress are almost completed, I heard from Rovod Kindleinks that there was going to be a sloped roof on each tower, however the Mayor has cut off the funding for the completion of the towers, so the uppermost level will be open to the sky. It's a good idea, it'll be a great way to cap my Tower of Learning.

12th Opal 208
Five months later, and after several false starts, the Count's new tomb has been completed. The original tomb he had was demolished with a replacement built with the other great tombs. However, he felt it wasn't imposing enough and so yet another tomb was dug out for him, which he seems to be much happier with. The first replacement tomb was gifted to the Dungeon Master, who was ecstatic to have such an impressive location as his final resting place. I acquired his original tomb that he was unhappy with to complete the game of musical tombs. My final resting place, assuming that I die here, is quite small, not that it matters since I'll be dead when I need it. For a change, all the nobles are happy with their current living arrangements.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

15th Opal 208
The gatehouse and the courtyard have both been completed, apart from the areas where traps have been laid. I suspect those areas will be left until the new year.

17th Opal 208
The restructuring of the agricultural industry is over half complete. Much of what's left involves moving tables and chairs into the new dining hall. Farms have been built next to the moat, from which they can be flooded and, when someone gets to it, the water pumped back into the moat.

23rd Opal 208
I just visited the jail on the level below the noble's quarters. Besmar Sworddabblers and Stukos Tiskscloister, our engravers, have been carving some very impressive artwork to help keep the despair at bay for any future prisoners. That too, should be finished before the year. I just noticed that one engraving is of one of the bloody sturgoens that lurk in the river not far from where I sit right now.

18th Obsidian 208
The Tower of Learning has been completed in great time. I've promptly moved in to set up some "educational facilities." And a nap. It's great to truly have a place of my own.

21st Obsidian 208
The agricultural reforms have been completed bar a few doors and the shifting of the last of the tables and chairs to the new dining hall. I'm quite proud of the changes; they certainly bring all the appropriate components of food production closer together and leave meals and alcohol right next to the dining hall. In retrospect, the only other thing that I should've done was compulsoraly resumed some or all of the quarters abutting the eastern side of the alcohol storage for more access points.

30th Obsidian 208
{Editor's note: A page has been added in here.}

The diary ends at this point. No pages have been torn out, nor are there any blank pages, thus it can be assumed that Montigo Torchtributes continued writing in some other journal still yet to be found within the depths of Archold. There is little evidence from the diary as to what has led to the government's refusal to release Torchtributes' report. Perhaps then, their refusal is due to a report that was shallow and, ultimately, irrelevant to the smooth operation of Archold.

Montigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 05, 2009, 04:16:19 pm »

That was interesting to play through; mainly because I found it surprisingly difficult to get things done in the time I had.

No dwarves died, one human drowned, visited by ten gobbos of whom eight stayed permanently, one kobold and several packs of rhesus macaques. Started with ten injured, reduced to six injured (plus one half dead mule chained up outside the trade depot).

Most dwarves are now happy or ecstatic; they shouldn't spiral down again unless several people with a huge list of friends meet an untimely end. The mason's, mechanic's and some craftsdwarf's workshops have been set so that only people above a certain skill level can use them.

A few more images now...

Suggestions for the next player (the fort will keep on ticking without these, but they might be worthwhile):
1) Starve friendless resting dwarves with spinal injuries to death.

2) Add chairs, tables, statues, whatever to dining hall.

3) Finish off the farm flooding system. Just add mechanisms to open floodgates and pumps to empty water through the defensive wall and back into the moat.

4) Continue building Mount Archold. Then convert it into a magma cannon.

5) Expand the forge area (in the non-aquifer zone) so there's room for more bars, flux and coal. Should help speed up forge operations.

6) Build a dwarven atom smasher for faster removal of dead gobbo gear, continue melting down gobbo iron and reforging into iron/steel spikes to replace stonefall traps. Atom smasher could also be used to destroy low quality mechanisms, there's now a legendary mechanic who should be able to provide high quality mechanisms instead.

7) Build a lot of 1x1 animal prisons (chain + non pet-passable door) to contain current and future stray animals. Could be placed near and around current prison. Should speed up butchering a bit as he'll just have to run to the appropriate cage instead of chase the bloody animals down.

8) Move bedrooms away from workshop areas. Either downstairs or with easternmost beds on main level.

9) Fix up the rooms for the Mayor and the Count. Both are using the overlapping rooms method of getting around noble requirements.

10) Pave the entire fortress with stone.

A copy of the save for the next person:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1468

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 05, 2009, 04:38:29 pm »

I LOVED those pictures :P so nice to see how the giant citadel is turning out.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 06, 2009, 03:18:08 am »

Who's next?  If I recall correctly, it should be back to Dante, followed by Jack AT. 
- Of course, you have the call, since it's your game, Dante

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2009, 06:26:06 am »

*Streatches* Sure i'll take a crack at it, Should I read everything thats happened since I've been gone or? o.o *Dives right into it* XD

Montigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2009, 10:40:28 am »

*Streatches* Sure i'll take a crack at it, Should I read everything thats happened since I've been gone or? o.o *Dives right into it* XD
Probably the significant recent incidents are the flooding of the forge in 206 and the riots of 207. 208 was actually low in drama and I can't remember much from 205 or earlier.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2009, 11:31:13 am »

Just got home from work, finished reading up the backstory before hand. I wonder if I'm still alive *Loads up save*

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 06, 2009, 11:54:40 am »

Hey everyone, For those of you that have been waiting on your toes for this moment, The count has FINALLY agree'd to meet with that liason from 2 years ago.

Montigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2009, 12:47:20 pm »

About bloody time. I'm surprised she didn't go insane beforehand.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 06, 2009, 03:33:40 pm »

Sorry my first report is taking so long, Had to rush off to school and never posted what I had.  I'll just wait till the fall to post.

EDIT: Its actually still only spring, Its really laggy. Thought changing it to admin process seems to have kicked it up a notch. Hopefully can finish in a few hours.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:29:33 pm by Dante` »

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2009, 05:00:10 pm »

It took till the 20th of felsite for them to be done and leave.  Fcking duke. Who votes we put em at the top of mount archold when we finally finish the magma cannon? >.>

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 06, 2009, 05:20:10 pm »

And thats up to summer. I'll get the rest done when it gets done.  Its taken 5 hours for me to get to this point, Thought I think its sped up a bit its still taking FOREVER.  Btw if anyone wants a dwarf named and dosent have one go for it. We have a bunch of useless morons who would go by "asswiper pro" if you let them.

Where the hell do all these kids get their money? Do we have child prostitution and do kobolds really pay that much? I mean I'm getting a SHITLOAD of "Child cancels shop, going to bed" And such as this.  Also who turned on "lets all go alert the manager if we stop working for some pathetic reason"? >.>
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:33:53 pm by Dante` »

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2009, 08:35:58 pm »

Was that a new version of Visualizer back there? I didn't think it showed statues.

Sounds like we're still making progress!
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 06, 2009, 08:56:43 pm »

Turns out Kel "Jack Alltrades" Bimtashem died.  His lover, the trader, still seemed rather lively, though, but I didn't seriously check.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17