Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Archold (Noob succession)  (Read 14101 times)

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archold (Noob succession)
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2009, 11:30:45 am »

wow now I'm saddened./.. In less than half a year you've doubled my total yearly profit and tripled the amount of dwarfs... >.> Are you god?
Actually, since you cleaned up my mess of the economy, and he built on it, it's no surprise that he managed a major leap in net worth. 
Also, since migrants depend on the dwarven caravan report, his migrant wave is thanks to you.  =)

But still, good work that, for one season. 

####################################################

Finally, sieges.  Do ambushes still come?  I hope not, hate the invisible buggers. 

Also, can we have a statue garden, dining room, meeting hall, zoo, mister and lever room all in the same large area?  We don't have to do it all in the same year but if blah28722 would do the honours of siting it in a suitable area we can just add everything nice there. 

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2009, 11:33:57 am »

Its but a small consolation I was the foundation for his epic winness...  Hey do I get the glory of being known to have been the main building block of an eliete economy?  (Also: arent moats un-dwarfy? Not even building destroyers can cross them.  It would take an idiot not to survive a siege (Example: Iw as playing the orc mod and a large siege of orcs stood outside a channel filled with magma (wich is my excuse to make it dwarfy) and I had 2 novice marksdwarfs pick em off in about 2 mins.. was dissapointing :<))))) <--- Too lazyu to count brackets.

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2009, 12:26:06 pm »

You know, I really am not going to complain if the sieges turn out to be easy. My current fortress just had five sieges in a row, once per season change. I've lost about 20 dwarves, and if it wasn't for my six champions with iron/steel equipment, I would have been over run long ago. So yeah, I'm fine with easy sieges.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2009, 12:43:52 pm »

Summer Chapter, fo' realz dis time

2nd Hematite, entry 1
I ordered a count of all the bedrooms, but vaguely recalled that I've counted around 110 bedrooms. This all seems somewhat familiar. I might have done it sometime last spring.

2nd Hematite, entry 2
I reorganized our labor force to have each member be more specialized. I'm tired of that bonecrafter cooking my meals with those bloody hands. Hm, why does this all sound familiar?

2nd Hematite, entry 3
Our dining room sucks.

Whoa, deja-vu.

11th Hematite,
Humans arrived. No wagon because our gate was up. I'm going to build a depot on the outside of the walls after this.

14th Hematite,
Hey, what's that out in the distance?

14th Hematite, Entry 2
Just a bunch of trees, I think. Anyway, back to the meeting.

14th Hematite, Entry 3
Talked to the diplomat today. I'm requesting mostly valuable metals and high value foods. We need to spruce things up a bit in this place.

15th Hematite,
Well, those weren't tree. Wait a minute, is that Dante's wife?

I've signaled the fortress into a state of emergency, we'll let the humans and marksdwarves handle this.

18th Hematite,
The humans took care of the goblins.

Casualties:
Dante's Wife
Dante's Second Eldest Son
Dante's Youngest Son
A war dog

Dante drank himself into a stupor and cried all day.

21st Hematite
Oh dear.

He should've won that fight, to be honest. I've really got to look into our military.

27th Hematite
Traded most of our finished goods for all of the humans' cloth, leather, and food. Hopefully, they will bring good stuff next time.

22nd Malachite
A fairly uneventful month. Lots of hauling as we try to make the most out of the scattered narrow clothing. Almost done with a full set of armor for our military.

Stinthad Parchedcastle, who's been in bed due to injuries for quite a while, has just gone melancholy. I can't believe that good-for-nothing. He hasn't done any work for as long as I remember, and he doesn't even have to walk to eat. He's going to be unhappy about it? Talk about spoiled.

Dante's been more and more unhappy recently. Maybe he should go check out the new dining room. It might cheer him up.

9th Galena,
Apparently, Rith Anguishstockade has been possessed and commandeered a crafter's shop.  He's got a lot of bone, a gem, and some wood there. I hope he makes something useful.

13th Galena,
I'm not sure what the point of a giant bone corkscrew is. This is one strange ghost. I've put it up for display in the new dining room.

1st Limestone
Summer is coming to an end, and we've made some good progress this season.

No immigrants this season and we lost a few, but it's no big deal. We've got a good amount to deal with already.

We've also experienced a very healthy growth in our wealth. Nearly 150% from spring. A good amount of it is from architecture and improving overall fortress aesthetics. Not bad for one season.

I haven't planted anything at all, but we've finally finished brewing and cooking all those plump helmets. Now that we're entering the less fertile seasons, we can't go for the high-value crops. We still have a massive food storage though, so we probably don't need to farm at all.

The bedroom renovations, which I haven't mentioned yet, is going quickly. The dwarves have been throwing their clothes everywhere, so I decided to give them all a free cabinet.

In this section, the weird hallway system has been removed to allow a larger room.

The left wing has been cut in half, and their rooms merged. These are the largest rooms in the fort with the exception of the nobility quarters.

Finally, we have our new dining room. It's about half done in terms of furniture. There's the amazing bone corkscrew on display in the middle. The place is beautiful. So much so that I'd say it's legendary.

With that, we are halfway through the year.

EDIT: Finally figured out dante's dwarf's gender.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:44:22 pm by blah28722 »

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2009, 12:59:22 pm »

Well, if you say they're undwarfy, I guess I must agree then.  The moat, wall and bailey setup (yes, we actually have a small hill in it!) is a standard medieval defense for a fort.  We just don't have a castle.  So it's humany. 

To make up for that, I can try for a magma cannon.  XD  Maybe.  Gonna need at least 30x iron/steel corkscrews, blocks and pipes. 

#######################################

I've done a short test already and I can get the power.  The full scale version, I'm going to build on my turn, magma cannon or not. 

This will be a trick to make the three-door-trick look small.  Perpetual motion machine... with no pumps!   ;D ;D

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2009, 02:32:23 pm »

Autumn Chapter

1st Limestone,
To commemorate the second half of the year, I've repossessed everyone's rooms.

You should've seen the look on their face.

Then, I let everyone pick a new room among the shiny new renovated rooms. They weren't unhappy for long.

2nd Limestone,
I've drafted two peasants into the military. I approached them as they were chatting to each other in the meeting area. They thought I was joking, they didn't laugh very long though.

10th Limestone
Renovations are continuing. This fortress has an abysmally little amount of metal. I've sent some miners to do some exploratory mining.

12th Limestone

Caravan!

I'm seeing several wagons. Let's hope we can get some goodies.

13th Limestone
I've ordered all of our finished goods bins to be traded. They were taking up room anyway. I was fairly surprised to find out it was worth around 40,000 DBs.

Shopping List:
Metal Bars
Cut Gems
Wood
High Value Furniture, like rope and bags
High Value Food, like cheese
Steel or Iron armor/meltables

17th Limestone
It's time to negotiate for goods. I've went and requested:
Giant Cave Spider Silk Cloth - We don't have to buy it if we can't afford it, but it'd be nice to make decorations with it.
High Value Metals, especially Steel -Obviously
Any Small Gems - We should start decorating some furniture
Cheese and high value foods- Delicious!
High Value Metal Ore -Obvious

21st Sandstone,
Nothing too out of the ordinary. Renovations are largely complete. I've finally given the nobles nice rooms. Didn't pursue more metal now that I've bought some from the dwarves.

28th Sandstone,
The dining room is finally completed! With 68 seats, it'll be plenty of eating space.

4th Timber
Autumn is going by fast. I suspect winter will pass by even faster.

After looking at the crude engravings in my room, I've decided to improve upon our engraver's skills. I stationed them in a large, open space and told them to start engraving.

7th Timber
Our mason, Domas Flamehalls has been possessed! I hope he does't want to set anything on fire.

11th Timber
He's started working. That's quite a lot of stuff he's got there.

14th Timber
Domas Flamehalls finished his project. It's by far the most valuable piece of treasure we've created at 45,600 DB's. It's quite spiky though.

28th Timber
Autumn is coming to an end, and it's time for a supply check for winter.

We're up another 150%, excellent! This time, it's spread around pretty evenly among Architecture, Displayed, and Furniture. Our fortress is looking better than ever!

Still no immigrants, which is fine. There's plenty of room for them though.

Food is well-stocked.

The new bedrooms are complete, and working out well. With the exception of a few pieces of clothing, the fort is less cluttered than before.

As we head into winter, there's not much to worry about other than making some things to trade to the elves.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:07:33 pm by blah28722 »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2009, 04:10:45 pm »

Winter Chapter

1st Moonstone
I've ordered the gates to be raised. We'll lower them if migrants arrive.

11th Moonstone
Rhesus Macaques! Lots of them!

They ran off with some clothes. Oh well.

6th Opal
Solon Stigazat gave birth to a girl.

19th Opal
Mayor Meng yelled at me enough for me to assign a captain of the guard. I picked Likot Hooftrader to do the job. He immediately started beating and caging people. Oh dear.

Luckily, he's a complete wuss and no one was seriously injured.

22nd Opal
Apparently that pile of clothes the Macaques stole belonged to Iron Daggerfold. He's been complaining that he can't get to them. I opened the gate and let him get his stupid clothes.

25th Opal
Iton's been ambushed. How did I know this was going to happen?

27th Opal
Iton is dead. Serves him right. I closed that gate for a reason. He ran right past the gate and into the wilds while being chased. Military has been stationed.

1st Obsidian
The ambushers have been driven away. Now that there is only a month left, it's time to start wrapping things up.

12th Obsidian
Our booze stockpile is nearly gone. There's not enough time leftover I'll pass that onto my successor.

1st Granite
With that, my leadership over Archold is over. Overall, it's been a great year, although the lack of population growth is a bit of an annoyance.

Archold, 1st Granite, 204

Archold, 1st Granite, 205

The economy is booming, having nearly quadrupled during this year.

Goals completed:
Improve Effeciency: Related workshops are now grouped together near their stockpiles, the temporary workshops outdoors have been removed.
Increase Production: Quadrupled economy.
Improve Military: While still at the size of 5, the military has been fully outfitted in iron armor and trained.
Improve Housing: All bedrooms have at least one extra square for furniture. All bedrooms have a cabinet to prevent clothes lying around.

For my successor, some goals to think about:
More Housing: Currently, we are at 3 rooms under full occupancy. Unless a sudden marriage boom occurs, we'll be full by the next immigration wave. There's plenty of room to build at the rocks.
Specialized Workforce: While individual assignments have been more specified, only the masons and crafters got any real action. See if you can get the rest of them some more experience by having them actually work.
Prepare for Baron: We're ready to receive a baron any time now. Get their quarters ready and construct an area for shops.
Improve Military Further: The military's armor and weapons are still of mediocre quality. See if you can at least improve it to well-crafted steel items.
Improve Farming: Transfer the farms onto mud (or irrigate the ones we have) so we can fertilize it.

Additional Notes to Successor:
We have enough booze for one drink left. Brew some more! Make sure you keep it varied while you're at it.

With that, I retire from my position of Taskmaster of Archold.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:32:30 pm by blah28722 »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2009, 06:33:17 pm »

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2009, 11:06:46 pm »

Looks good...

What in the name of Armok...
1 booze and no plants?!  Did you turn off farming or something?

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2009, 03:21:37 am »

Looks good...

What in the name of Armok...
1 booze and no plants?!  Did you turn off farming or something?

I went into winter with 300 units of booze, I was hoping I could just last through it.

I didn't plant any because by the time my count dropped low, there wasn't enough time leftover.

The dwarves won't be any slower if the next person brews at the start of the season though, so not much to worry about.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2009, 04:29:56 am »

Hmm... this is valuable data in any case, since you didn't brew anything during winter, we know 86 dwarves drank 300+ units of booze over 3 months. 

Which is just over 1 unit per month.  Good to keep in mind. 

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2009, 04:53:29 pm »

It might be because I'm refreshing ebay, this forum, and like 3 other websites because I have nothing better to do, but it's been, like, 600 years since I finished.

Is navigator still dead? Haven't seen a trace of him since he dropped off the face of the planet before I took his turn.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2009, 05:59:05 pm »

Wow, for a "noob fortress," you guys are doing great! I hope your fortress has a massive, cataclysmic ending that will be worthy of remembrance!

As for Navigator... His profile says he was active not too long ago...

It is possible that he just lost interest in DF completely. This is not uncommon for new players.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Axil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2009, 07:28:38 am »

Uh, quite little activity recently... Should we delay the navigator even further? Or wait for him?

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2009, 08:15:49 am »

Dante`, Axil's here, shall we give this turn to him?

Perhaps we can wait for 12 or so hours for The Navigator to respond. 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17