Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Archold (Noob succession)  (Read 14082 times)

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Succession
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 06:44:26 pm »

k i'll add you to the list... Suggestion? Take the next save spot load it up and get some practiced on a ready started fort...   Besides remember the dwarven motto.  Dyings fun

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 07:19:54 pm »

We'll see how long your precious "prosperity" lasts when my turn comes around. I have plans. Oh yes, I have plans...

Actually, its odd that there aren't any human or elf traders.... I downloaded kalida's save and we're supposed to have access to both of them. Maybe they just know better?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:23:38 pm by The Navigator »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 07:30:47 pm »

If your locale is in the middle of nowhere (read:island, blocked off valley, giant desert/tundra of no survival) then sometimes your good friends the Traders are physically unable to make their way to you. This may not neccesarily be a bad thing though: no traders usually means no gobbos to kill you. The only problem with that assumtion is the fact you've had immigrants.
Nothing important here, move along.

Axil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 07:52:16 pm »

Actually, it's "losing is fun" but nevermind that, how many is complete newbs here(i think i can count myself as one)?

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 08:19:38 pm »

I'm pretty much one...

And heh I dunno but I am really anxious to read the end of this turn and start mine...  It's also kind of interesting because I hear #3 usually goes mad and creates stuff thats not likely to help ANYONE.  You have plans? So do I... :)  CITADEL TO THE SKY... I COMMAND IT... >.> <.< ^^  Jk you'll see eventually.

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 08:40:12 pm »

If your locale is in the middle of nowhere (read:island, blocked off valley, giant desert/tundra of no survival) then sometimes your good friends the Traders are physically unable to make their way to you. This may not neccesarily be a bad thing though: no traders usually means no gobbos to kill you. The only problem with that assumtion is the fact you've had immigrants.

Thats actually what I checked for. I abandoned and then choose a location next to the fort and checked for civs, and we've got full access to everyone, bloodthirsty baby-eating gobbos included. And there's even a human settlement fairly close by.

I'm sorta/kinda a newb. I've been playing for a few months, enough that I've recently taken an interest in above-ground forts just for something new, but this will be my first time playing a succession game.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:42:05 pm by The Navigator »

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 02:07:50 am »

Hey I'd be interested in playing a turn. I've only ever done one other succession game and it died out so I was kinda disappointed. I've got some from when 2D was all shiny and new so I'm not a total noob.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 02:53:12 am »

2nd Limestone
I wake up to the sound of the drafted masonry force complaining loudly to my kind bookkeeper assistant.  WE HAVE NO STONE. 

Now that's a first.  I've never seen that happen before, so I order a large excavation.  Then the miners tell me we have an aquifer and the last attempt to pierce it failed.  Now that's the reason for that large muddy area behind the complex. 

I'm not about to decipher the mechanism of the pump system my predecessor built, not having much experience with that myself. 

I change the order to excavate around the magma pipe.  Only to find out someone already ordered that and we're dealing with a pretty large hole already.  Too bad I need the stone, it's going to get bigger. 

11th Limestone
A brewer has been possessed.  I hope this doesn't go the same way as before. 

12th Limestone
He grabbed copper nuggets and some leather and locked the door to the mason's workshop.  At least he won't go crazy this time. 

16th Limestone
Otususarel Lakal Ilned, Ankelwater the Winnower of Justifying, is complete.  It's a native copper table worth 6000.  I think I can find a use for this when the inevitable nobles arrive. 

20th Limestone
The dwarven caravan has arrived.  I hope they'll be surprised to see our progress. 

1st Sandstone
Our trading is complete.  I sell some rock crafts and some silk clothing that appear to be lying around and buy all their wood and metal. 

The liason asks me what we need.  I ask for all their wood and some steel.  I strongly consider asking for stone but perhaps we can utilize the lava to get some more.  It'll have to be something my successor does. 

12th Sandstone
The farmers and the cook came around today to tell me that the food stockpile is full.  Seeing a possible emergency, I order some food cooked to save space while siting a temporary farmer's workshop to process the pig tails I ordered planted earlier this year. 

That said, a quern will be needed to mill the sweet pods into something edible.  Too many things to do...

4th Timber
My silence lately has been due to me rushing about and making orders.  Our drink situation deteriorated so rapidly that over the course of a month, we went from a comfortable 60 to 9 jugs. 

Emergency barrel construction and ordering the brewer to hop to it quickly averted the crisis.  Although I'm starting to dislike having dwarven wine after having drunk it ever since I got here.  Will have to look into an overground farm to grow the few prickle berries that were picked. 

1st Moonstone
Everything is going fine.  Had to rebuild the bridge to do the trickiest part of the defense, the moat section under the bridge. 
Fortifications are almost complete.  I might actually complete our defense within my term of office. 

All that's left to do is to make two ropes and chain animals outside the perimeter wall for early warning. 
With this, my autumn section is now closed.  We head into winter with 100+ units of food and 15 of drink.  Sigh, looks like I've some work cut out for me. 

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 02:57:08 am »

Alright, couple things to mention,
1, we have infinate water for drinking, i built a well in the aquifier. (in case you didn't notice)

2. Down where i found the copper (as well as built the forges) Theres a pit you can dig in beside the magma pipe
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 03:00:37 am »

It's not the dying of thirst I'm worried about.  I noticed the well and we have a murky pool inside the wall as well. 
But I'd not like to hand the fort over without any booze and everything working slowly.  So yeah, time to draft the masonry force over to plant gathering and strip the map.  Will help tree growth in the long term anyway. 

EDIT: can someone tell me how to upload images?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 03:04:54 am »

Don't worry about working slow, it can take up to a year without booze to work slowly, and even then it's not much slower...

For pictures use a site like Tinypic.com
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2009, 03:16:49 am »

Oh, I thought there would be a special way to upload DF pics.  =/

Anyway, I've nothing better to do with the gigantic workforce. (more than half are idle if I don't order a project)  Not enough picks to ask them all to dig the moat. 

The south side of the moat can't be dug.  It'll cut straight through living quarters, so I just left it alone. 

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2009, 03:29:48 am »

It's good to set the foundation so that later players can go all out, so you're doing the right thing stockpiling booze and stuff.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2009, 04:15:22 am »

The script here is in a different hand.  One much neater, as if used to writing a lot. 

11th Opal
This is the bookkeeper, Monom Azothkubuk, Jon's assistant.  The dwarf in question is down with a ferocious fever and is in no position to work. 

I've ordered most of the idle workforce to gather plants in hopes of finding a herb cure.  Meanwhile, I'll oversee the digging of the moat. 

We've expanded our crop variety manyfold and perhaps we can start a food industry to build our wealth.  While Jon has designed a perimeter and increased our security, his lack of attention to the economy of the fort is worrisome.  Our wealth has barely increased since his arrival and the only shops he made are the ones requested by moody dwarves. 

My records are also in a state of mess, having been interrupted and told to trade but not allowed to pick up a pen after that.  Now that I'm temporarily in charge, I'll correct that oversight. 

2nd Obsidian
Our hunter, Imush Dostoburdim, was struck down.  One of the plant gatherers witnessed it.  A wolf was the culprit and it's been given a name, Gosmerbisol.  It is a pity but he will not be bringing us any more meat, I'll order a coffin constructed to his name. 

I'll have a word with the two militia about the wolf, they should be able to handle it. 

5th Obsidian
The militia handled it well.  They trapped the wolves in a decisive pincer movement and trapped the wolves between themselves and the river.  They're now chasing the last one that escaped. 

7th Obsidian
It is as if my command is cursed.  The fisherdwarf, Zon Udilthikut, was pulled into the river by a sea lamprey and drowned.  I immediately recall the militia from the river in case of a repeat.  Another coffin will be needed although his body shall have to rest at the riverbed. 

10th Obsidian
Jon still has not awakened.  At the rate this is going, he'll be sleeping until his term of office is over.  Not that I mind, seeing as the defense is nearly complete. 

16th Obsidian
Solon Etostfeb, a planter, has withdrawn from society.  I wonder what he'll make. 

19th Obsidian
He took the craftdwarves' workshop, 2 bones, a bolt of cloth and a bunch of raw gold opals.  I think it's going to be expensive. 

22nd Obsidian
Thabostalath Ulingertal, Flarebolted the Crazed Luxury, a bone earring worth a whopping 18 000!  That raised our net worth by nearly 50%!

29th Obsidian
Jon finally woke up, right when his term of office is about to end, I doubt if he'll be able to do anything in the remaining time. 

1st Granite, 203
Jon's term of office is over, he let me take over for him during the remaining period in order to fully recover.  Not much I could do when he left it in such a mess. 

I apologize to the next dwarf-in-charge about the state of affairs.  Here are my recommendations, in order of priority:
1) Improve economy, there's too much unemployment, lack of high value production
1a) Importantly, tighten up job assignment and make some bone bolts for the marksdwarves. 
2) Construct above-ground farm segment. 
3) A way to pour lava and water together to make obsidian stone. 
4) Complete moat (should be automatic), do not channel out the areas left alone.  Those go straight into the living quarters segment. 
5) Expand living quarters, coming migrants will require expansion. 

##############################################################

Overall progress:
Defense:      +++
Population:   ++
Economy:       -
Happiness:    +

##############################################################

Oh yes, Jon tells me that the next governor should test the bridge to ensure that it works as expected. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2009, 04:23:14 am »

Save file:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1337

Note the file ID... XD

I move that this succession game be named Archold, since that's the fort's name. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17