Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Archold (Noob succession)  (Read 14091 times)

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archold (Noob succession)
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2009, 11:43:52 pm »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2009, 11:45:19 pm »

Kay, scratch that about the sleepiness.

I'll see if I can get some entries in.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2009, 11:46:01 pm »

Lol.  Good luck to you.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2009, 12:09:44 am »

Note: Sorry for the huge screenshots. If someone is seriously bothered by them I'll resize them next time. I'll edit this post as I go.

1st Granite, entry 1
Spring has arrived, and a new overseer is over here! Hah, I crack myself up! Anyway, I'll be taking charge of Archold for the next year. Let's hope for the best.

First, let's take a look at this magnificent place!

1st Granite, entry 2
What a disaster! This fort - if you can call it that, is a nightmare!

What is this place supposed to be? Where are the doors? Why is everything so far apart from their workshops? Why is there food out in the open?

1st Granite, entry 3
The inside isn't much better, either. I have no idea who decided to design the workshops this way, but it has got to be improved upon. Next, the bedrooms are also incredibly cramped! I can't believe I have to live in one of these! I've got to get some doors in this place.

These micro-workshop stockpiles have to go.

5th Granite
First, the workshop rooms are being combined into one massive workshop complex. I'll group the proper workshops together and maybe make a few stockpiles in the undug soil. In the meantime, the food storage issue is being addressed.

First, I'll cut down on the usage of plump helmets. They taste horrible anyway. Let's go for some dwarven syrup roast. Yum! Filling and delicious!

We're a bit low on booze, but it seems that we have a healthy variety of unbrewed items. We'll brew some, process some (cloth stockpiles could use a hand), and the rest will be process then cooked, if possible.

7th Granite
I just had my first meal at this place. It was horrible! It seems that it was some sort of chopped plump helmet mixed with chopped plump helmet. I'm telling the chef to start making some proper, lavish meals.

13th Granite
Elves!
They were spotted on the road and quickly arrived. I ordered the main bridge to be raised, cautious of any possible ambushers.

22nd Granite
Finally got around to trading with the elves. Grabbed two bins of cloth. That's all we really need for now. In the meantime, most of the new workshops have been dug out, and are pending work orders.

1st Slate
Work has begun to enlarge the furniture stockpile (no one was hauling furniture because it was full), move the bar stockpile next to the forges, and make a stone stockpile near the workshops.

Unfortunately, the pierced aquifer secion is a bit far from the stockpile location. I might want to look into piercing the aquifer myself, but that's a task for much later.

Also, that kid Iteb Seizurehandles is being particularly secretive. I've seen him snooping around the crafting shop with some wood. He better not be getting into some trouble.

3rd Slate
Seizurehandles is trying to be secretive in the middle of that workshop room. I've asked a peasant to see what he's working on there. It seems to be mostly wood, but he's nicked a gem from somewhere. Let's see what he has to say for himself.

7th Slate
Seizurehandles made a Chestnut cup. There's a picture of a dwarf burning to death. The detail is both horrifying and breathtaking. The broker said we could probably sell it for around 17,000 dwarf bucks. I think I'll keep it around though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:58:55 am by blah28722 »

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2009, 12:11:20 am »

We wont riot if you hold off on updating till tomarrow and post it en-masse :P

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2009, 12:16:06 am »

I don't think I can concentrate long enough to write the whole thing en mass. So bear with me, sorry.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2009, 01:05:39 am »

Oh, of course we will.  It's more interesting to read it this way. 

By the way, the individualized workshop rooms are important.  When a mood strikes, you can lock them in if you don't have what they want so they don't kill people when they go crazy. 

I never did that in my fort and instead posted marksdwarf shifts to watch moods.  But starving them is a less dwarfpower intensive method. 

XD  nice to see you call it a nightmare.  It is indeed a nightmare if you look at it from an efficiency point of view.  Barely anything gets done even if you order it and dwarves run lengths of the fort just to get their materials.  My stopgap measure was those mini-stockpiles but well... it's a stopgap measure. 

It is very good from a defensive point of view, the method of modularizing everything (farm section, stockpile section, workshop section, residential section) allows easy expansion of the sections and you can seal them off individually in case of whatever emergency, short of building destroyers. 

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2009, 01:08:22 am »

15th Slate
I've ordered those goblin prisoners we have to be dumped into the magma pipe. I'll keep the master thief though.

16th Slate
Ambush! Funny how that works. So far, they've shot at a cat who strayed into the unfilled moat. Nothing interesting, really.

17th Slate
Cat's dead. Meh. To prevent any more tragedies like that, I've locked the door into the outside moat. I've ordered the two markdwarves to the battlements. Let's see if they can take on a goblin bowman.

8th Felsite
Migrants! And a dungeon master! She appears to be completely naked from the face down, with the exception of her hands. She's also wet.

Restructuring is going well. Haven't really gotten to production yet but hauling is making very good progress.

10th Felsite
Ambush! There's a lot of migrants at stake. Summon the military!

13th Felsite
Luckily, it was a small ambush. For whatever reason, our recruit was not actually wearing any armor when he enterred the battle. He was shot and killed. I'm going to have to check on our military's readiness soon.

1st Hematite
It's summer! Let's have a quick review of what's been accomplished this spring.

We've reached 91 members. There's a bit too many farmers with mediocre skill in growing. Let's try to make them do other stuff. Only having 2 miners is problematic.

Food is doing very well, and the new food workshops are better organized than before.

The workshops' general layout is underway. We might see heavy production late summer or early autumn.

Other than that, there's only a few minor changes here and there.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:47:20 am by blah28722 »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2009, 01:11:49 am »

For a supposed "noob fortress", you guys are doing really well, especially considering that magma normally causes lots of Funtm.

Haha, keep going! :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2009, 10:09:06 am »

woww now I'm saddened./.. In less than half a year you've doubled my total yearly profit and trippled the ammount of dwarfs... >.> Are you god?

Edit: I just love the graphics set dont you? :> My friends call me a lozer because I cant use ascii but really..  I was getting migrains staring at it >.>
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:11:38 am by Dante` »

Axil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2009, 10:20:24 am »

Trippled? How would that be possible, since you'd need 60 dwarves in one season, while the max is 24(i think, that's the max of one migrant wave?). Or did you mean he gained three times as much dwarves during this time than your entire year?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:21:56 am by Axil »

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2009, 10:40:55 am »

Yea thats what I ment :P I had like...groups of five -.-

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2009, 10:41:20 am »

Summer ALTERNATE UNIVERSE Chapter

3rd Hematite,
I did a quick count of our existing bedrooms. Excluding the high quality bedrooms (which I believe count at around 8), we have about 110 rooms. I think it's time to get doors for all of them. This'll be one of the goals for this season.

9th Hematite,
I yelled at the dwarves to stop doing things they have no idea how to do. This should make our labor force more specialized further down the road.

9th Hematite, entry 2
A siege! Eight or nine goblins. Mostly wrestlers and pikemen. No archers. I'm calling the marksdwarves to the battlements. Also, the wrestlers to support them at the gate.

10th Hematite

That's not eight. I'm going to raise the drawbridges when they get close enough for the marksmen to shoot at.

12th Hematite
Victory! Our markdwarves pin cushioned 8 goblins and they ran away like girls. Our military still has no armor. I'm going to make some iron armor to at least make sure they have basics.

15th Hematite
I've taken advantage of the calm after the siege and fifty good-for-nothing dwarves lazing about and told them to clean up the mess around the fortress. Everything made of giant cave spider silk stays to be traded, and every other narrow armor is tossed into the magma pipe. Metal items are transported next to the magma smelters to be melted.

3rd Malachite
We're still cleaning up the terrain. We've also started producing all the doors needed for bedrooms. Should take us all month if not more.

8th Malachite
Our dining room is too small. It's time to build a new one that will shock and awe all future migrants! It shall be legendary!

9th Malachite
It would appear that our reality has collapsed in on itself.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:29:38 am by blah28722 »

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2009, 10:42:26 am »

Oh so we have enough rooms? >.> My turn ended befiore I could carve out the whole place above the wells for bed ;x

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2009, 11:21:47 am »

Bah, my computer decided that it would turn off in the middle of the game. Apparently, I haven't saved since the new season.

I'm going to take a break, Hematite was a very click-intensive month, and I don't want to do it all over again.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:28:49 am by blah28722 »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17