Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Archold (Noob succession)  (Read 14084 times)

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archold (Noob succession)
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2009, 05:12:46 pm »

Hey yall sorry I didnt update yet.  I lost my electricity for the whole day today -.-  I'll get it up sometime tonight.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2009, 10:19:22 am »

1st Granite, 203, Early Spring
  I've arrived today.  I've heard tell that this particular outpost was in need of just a little bit of help but so far from the outside I really cant see what their talking about.  It has a nice parimiter and it looks like it will be able to at least lock itself off if need be.
  Ok i've just stepped inside and I must say my first impressions were way wrong.  Not only do they not have a Baracks (that I can see) but no one can use the rooms that have been set up yet.  I'll work on getting that set strait first.
  I've also noticed that there are few (and no working) workshops set up.  Looks like I've got the second item on my list.

2nd Granite, 203, Early Spring
  I've found a "to-do" list left by me predicessor and they claim we're out of stone.  Looks like the main part of the two years they've had to build so far has been setting up a perimiter.  I wonder whats out there that we're so afraid of.

10th Granite, 203, Early Spring
  I've ordered all the tree's withing the walls to be felled. As well as all the plants to be picked.  Elves arrived today but we havent anything to trade.  Just as good I hate dealing with those tree-dwellers.

14th Granite, 203, Early Spring
  I've ordered a new area for a dining room and new food storage areas.  I'm going to be converting the ones near the entrance to crafts only.  I've also got 2 of each workshop going full time right now.  I'll start digging out a better office/nobles area.  I'm hoping to get everything in order soon.  They didnt tell me how much work it would be.

13th Slave, 203, Mid-Spring
  I've been debating flooding the moat.  Moats dont seem to do much good when not filled with water.  But I'll leave that up to anyone who wants to do so later.  Maybe we can get a kickass magma moat sometime but my job is just to get the economy back on track.

13th Felsite, 203, Late Spring
  We're low (at least in my view) on food.  I've had several hunters called in but it dosent seem to help.  I hope we can get the main problems out of the way soon.

12th Hematite, 203, Early Summer
  A human caravan arrived today... We had verry little to trade but we're getting there slowly.

2nd Malachite, 203, Mid-Summer
  One of our men has taken a fey mood and is requesting stuff we currently do not have.  I've seen what this can do to people so I've locked him in and will wait till he dies.  I hate doing this but it must be done.  In other news we're nearly completely out of drink.  I'm building another still and training in a new worker.  I wish we had some meat.

10th Malachite, 203, Mid-Summer
  Emmigrants are arriving today. Before they arrived I listed our population at Sixety.  We'll see what we're at after that.

13th Malachite, 203, Mid-Summer
  A band of goblins attacked. Thankfully just as the Humans were leaving so most of them were killed instantly.  I've been thinking about activating a military force to take care of these but I think I'll still concentrate on getting the economy up.  Maybe I'll be able to raise the drawbridge soon.  Unfortunatly we're still really low on food and drink.  I've run out of things to try here.  Maybe we could only eat plants for a while YUCK!!!  Meanwhile final count of emigrants is in and we now number sixety eight.  Wich I consider good because we're on the line with food anyway.

3rd Galenta, 203, Late Summer
  BASTARDS.  A snatcher came in while one of our dwarfs were setting up a trap.  He's now unconcious with a broken leg and ribs that look very bad.  I dont even know why I'm taking it so hard but, I guess I just dont like seeing my men hurt.  I'll have to activate that guard patroll on our boarders it seems.

3rd Limemstone, 203, Early Autumn
  I've released the man who was in the few mood so many months ago.. Suprisingly he still lives and is now wobbling off, Maybe to find food or drink or just pass out.  Maybe even die.   I felt sorry for him.  I've taken active military and told them to stand down.  They'll rest untill we need them again.  Meanwhile we've begun pushing up past the death point in the alcohol department though food is still scarce.  Nothing to hunt it seems.  We're also sitting on seventy thousand combined wealth.  I wonder if I can get that number up to one hundred thousand before I leave this place. They want cabinets and chests though I havent bothered making any yet.

7th Limestone, 203, Early Autumn
  The man I released from his prison died today.  I feel horrible but it was for the safety of our commrads.  Nothing new to report as of yet.  I'm hoping for a quiet winter.

12th Limestone, 203, Early Autumn
  A caravan arrived today.  Lets hope they brought some damn meat.  This grass diet is really starting to get on our nerves.  Meanwhile I may just make one hundred thousand before winter! Wich means maybe I can make it even sweeter.

16th Limestone, 203, Early Autumn
  You know I didnt think it'd work but OMFG we've caught three goblins so far with those four traps.  I'm commisioning more cages to be built in case we start running low...  I didnt know how to make an arena so I decided not to try right now. But I wish I did because god that would be amusing.

24th Limestone, 203, Early Autumn
  I traded a few of our now-mass produced items for a few dogs.  I'm going to order them trained into war-dogs and station them with the marksdwarfs I have set up to do parimiter sweeps when activated.  This should also help us mass-breed dogs for use in strong-hold defences.  I guess I cant think like a military dwarf if needed.  I've designated a small room and tomb for myself, though I wouldnt complain if I was moved later.  I was thinking of starting tombs for the other great leaders of this place.  But I think I'll continue to work on aquiring wealth for the fortress.  Maybe it will help my successors.  Who I hear from this caravan will be ariving sometime in spring.  I think I'm going to be staying.

24th Sandstone, 203, Mid-Autumn
  Migrants have arrived.  We're starting to build back our food and drink supply and I think it will be good.  Population of Sixety-Eight before and seventy three after.  It dosent seem we got that many but its just as well.  It looks like a boring rest of the year.

27th Timber, 203, Late Autumn
  I have started construction on several elaborate tombs for the leaders of this place.  Those who stay I think should have a place to be properly remembered.  On a side note: we've finally struck 100,000 wealth! We threw a big party afterward.  We've also got another five hundred plant meals to eat (YUCK) But we should be getting some meat soon.  I wonder what goblin meat tastes like.

23rd Moonstone, 203, Early Winter
  I've completed the tombs, Unfortunatly we had a goblin attack today.  And our hunter was struck down.  But luckily he was the only casualty as our marksdwarves came in shortly after and wiped them.  But this brings me to realize we may need a better strategy for defence...  But I wont worry about that.  I'll hand it all over to my successor in spring. Let them deal with it.

14th Opal, 203, Mid-Winter
  Winter's almost over.  I've commanded that each new-born cat and horse be slaughtered immediatly.  We should really watch out with all of these animals running around the fortress like they own the place.  I've installed more beds and am finishing smoothing out the tombs... I think i'll just sit in this smooth sailing untill my term is over.

Spring has arrived!
                                     I've now completed my duty.  I'm sorry if these logs were not complete or even entertaining but they're what happend.  Thats all I promised you.  Good luck to my successor.

Http://ickarious.googlepages.com/Archold.zip

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2009, 10:24:28 am »

Yo sorry it took so long to get it posted.

-Things Done-

-Created workshops.
-Created wealth.
-Created living space for nearly a hundred.
-Created Baracks
-Created noble quarters.
-Created Tombs.
-

I'm not very good with military so I really didnt mess with it instead putting most dwarfs to work in workshops and stuff.

Anyway that ends my turn and now The-Navigator is up.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:29:20 am by Dante` »

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2009, 10:57:15 am »

Good job I must say, getting a basic economy up and running. 

I took a look at the save.  It's looking good, especially the 500 stone.  I've never actually run out of stone except with my first fort.  When I tried to double roof my entire fortress. 

A more detailed look shows the following problems for the next guy to solve:

1) We have no drink, my guess is that's caused by no barrels.  We have 42 logs. 

2) The upper farm could be rotated between sweet pods, cave wheat/quarry bushes, pigtails and dimple cups in order of seasons.  Armok knows we've got enough plump helmets.  (almost 600!)
Perhaps another farm plot and a few above ground could inject some variety. 

3) As Dante points out, military needs working on.  Get some copper crossbows and copper bolts out then set up two squads to patrol the wall, led by the elites. 

4) Name some low-strength peasant to be the captain of the guard and take off all his normal work.  Don't build a jail, don't give him a weapon and let him beat everyone ineffectually. 
Not dwarfy, but this is Noob Fortress. 

5) Jobs weren't handled.  Most of the workforce I drafted for the wall still have their masonry and architecture jobs enabled.  Looks like a job for Dwarf Manager. 

6) Precision of records is set to high but enough work was done for highest.  No idea if it'll deteriorate but perhaps it could be turned back up?

###################################################################

Looked at Dante's very nice tombs and it seems that our stone problem solved itself. 

I forget the basic principle to get too much stone.  Dig.  So much for my obsidian forge.  Not needed at all.  We need the metal anyway. 

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2009, 11:01:20 am »

On a side note.  I had played this save once before and screwed it up trying to make the obsidian forge...  Dig down one z level and excavate you'll find a pretty big copper source if you start to run low.  (readong I didnt submit that one was because after three people died building the damn obsidean farm and it didnt work I went insance and started carving my name in the land next to the magma then released it to create an ever-lasting monument killing myself in the process.)  lol tho that was fun   I think this fort can get off to a nice stable start.  Also I've never had an arena but it might be interesting considering we have 6? Captured goblins so far :P

Great job to the two before me this was an excelent location and the wall+trench were beautifully done.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2009, 11:08:51 am »

Sigh.  I consider the wall and moat to be a failure.  The moat can't be completed because it'll dig into the main living quarters, leaving us with an unsightly "dent".  Massive planning oversight on my part. 

I'll see what I can do when it's my turn again.  Perhaps a moat out to the mountain, and extending the walled area. 

###########################################################

Oh yeah, forgot to say this, and it's important.

I set claim your dead, death items, other dead and other death items to NO

Will prevent the mad rush into death that will inevitably happen if it's allowed but further leaders will have to use mass reclaim (d->b->c, IIRC) to get those items.  I note at least two full-sets of goblin clothing. 

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2009, 11:10:36 am »

What makes succession games important to people (specially new players) everyones play style is different. I look forward to seeing your design concepts. 

Ah how different the fort will be when it comes back a round.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2009, 11:41:39 am »

Ah, that.  My cousins used to quote that "everyone plays differently" at me. 

Perhaps it's true. 

But in a succession game, I don't think getting half the fort killed will be... nice.  I like forts intact and thriving. 

I'll still play on though.  Even if it means reclaiming.  It's a courtesy to the succession game, of course. 

###############

Unless you were thinking about me considering my moat to be a failure.  Then in which case, just ignore me. 

Axil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2009, 11:43:25 am »

around 600 plump helmets? By year 3 on my first fortress i had around 1000, i think... Might have been more even. Still, my first fortess died around there(decided to abandon because of tantrums). I hope i'll get a turn soon. Upload the map to DFMA? Easier to access... You might want to upload at the start of every year.. I'm not very experienced with defenses, so i'm not sure how good i'll be able to handle this(might lose many(5?) dwarves to goblins).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:59:01 am by Axil »

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2009, 12:30:19 pm »

I usually aim for produced food > consumption, so yeah.  But then I usually have half my population in the farming/clothing sector.  (my current record is 10 million wealth from that alone, but it's too easy with a pop. cap of 75)

Don't worry too much about losing a few dwarves.  After the next person gets the economy working, I think we can focus on decorating the place to insane levels to boost happiness to prevent a tantrum spiral.  I built a mister before, I can do it again. 

Platinum statue garden anyone?  Perhaps we can copy the museum design I saw somewhere in these forums.  Put up one of each type of single tile building (anything non-construction, meaning not walls or such things) of each stone type + wood and metals.  Designate it as a statue garden cum communal dining / meeting hall.  Then nail as many "admired an X lately" thoughts as possible. 

##############################################################

As for defense, I thought up an idea. 

Scatter stone-fall traps lightly over the entire map and then forbid them (using mass forbid) to prevent the dwarves from running out to reload. 

If ambushes walk on them, they'll take losses and it'll give enough warning to pull the bridge and mobilize the army.  When it's clear, you can unforbid them to reload.  Under guard of course. 

Axil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2009, 01:17:26 pm »

Is there any mods in the save(except for the ones that come with maydays graphic pack)? I want to check out the fortress.
Edit: Nm, i got it working... But the map is so small! Is this 2x2 tiles?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:31:13 pm by Axil »

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2009, 04:42:51 pm »

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I had to take my mom to the hospital this morning (she's all stitched up and fine now, so no worries :D). Anyways, I've downloaded the save and should have an update soon.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2009, 05:02:59 pm »

Hey navigator Lol family > game.

Meanwhile I've never been good with farm's or any real type of food.  The only way I ever made food with any certainty is hunting (wich is very anti-defensce)  So I usually die of starvation or alcohol deprivation.   But creating wealth is just my thing <3  (This is also my first time ever SEEING magma let alone playing around with it...) Is everything below the 4th Z-level ok to dig out?  Was wondering that when I was on my turn.  (Never sucessfully navigated an aquifier either)

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2009, 05:12:21 pm »

Lol, thanks.

I've never actually pierced an aquifier either, though I think that once you get below it you're in the clear.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2009, 05:13:49 pm »

Plus it means you can live underground indefinatly if you live only on plants...  Eew though... Does underground cattle ranching appeal to anyone? :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17