Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Archold (Noob succession)  (Read 14083 times)

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archold (Noob succession)
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2009, 08:41:45 pm »

Okay, I got it, I'm starting my play.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2009, 12:23:14 am »

1st Granite 206
With the term of Monom Azothkubuk coming to an end, I’ve was dispatched by the Mountain homes to fill his place. Seems the poor fellow was trying to do all the jobs on his own. He was the Manager, Broker, and Hordemaster. I have NO DESIRE to be all those. I’ll have to talk to him about it and see if I can get him to stay in at least one of that position, though not town manager for obvious reasons.

I am about a days travel away from the fortress now, I’ve been on the road for weeks. I was a bit perplexed by a small pack of Rhesus Macque running past. One of them appeared to be clothed. In dwarf clothes.

2nd Granite 206
I arrived today, the roadway leading up to the fortress is quite nice. All official with its supports and the. It’s not much of a mountain though. I kind of expected a place that was a barony to be… bigger. Monom came out to meet me. I had the chance to talk to him. He’s graciously agreed to stay on as Hordemaster. Though now that I see size of this hill, I’m not sure I’d need him.

He’s going to get me settled in, and tomorrow, I get the grand tour.

3rd of Granite 206
My tour was cut short, Monom seemed to neglect to mention the possessed brewer in the workshops. I’ll have to see what I can do… he wants some strange things for a brewer. I hope this ghost knows what he’s doing. But in the off chance that he doesn’t. I’m stationing a guard in the workshops.

Make that two guards… ghosts give me the creeps. What after the dwarf leather pants back home…

4th Granite 206
I’ve ordered a new office dug for me. Its right by the workshops. Nothing fancy though. The fancy office is for Monom to do his thing.

5th Granite 206
The Hammers room appears to be more of a promise of a room then a real room. It has no walls. AND it’s located next to the magma pipe. This could either be bad thing or a good thing.

And I’m not sure about the logic behind the placement of the shops.

9th Granite 206
The brewer went beserk. The guards made short work of him Cut him in two and knocked him into the far wall. It blew off his arms. It’ll take years to clean up the mess. I think I’m going to go lie down…

10th Granite 206
This fortress is quite tightly nit. Many people knew the brewer, in one-way or another. Not all of them knew him in a good way, but enough did. I’ll have to keep a eye on morale.

Thankfully we have empty coffins. Previous administrations were on top of that.

Hang on, I’ve been told the Elves have shown up. Some one has started shouting. Something about a lever?

I’m ordering trade goods brought out in the mean time. Never really had the same trouble with elves as the other dwarves did. If anything, it get all these lazy dwarves out of the zoo.

As a side note, Monom is going to stay on as broker as well. He is good at what he does, I see no need to tempt fate.

11th Granite 206
There’s a Guard running around with no pants. I may be forced to draw up a dress code. A dwarf has her sensibilities you know.

12th Granite 206
Elves are long gone. Traded some trinkets for a bunch of wood.

13th Granite 206
All this spare rock is giving me an idea to spruce up this tacky hill.

14th Granite 206
An excess in cloth has inspired me increase our clothing industry. No sense having it sitting around doing nothing.

17th Granite 206
An Ambush! Millitary is being put on alert and civilians orderd indoors. Not everything is out of the trade depot yet!

18th Granite 206
Ambush was dealt with. Crossbow dwarves showed their worth. However one of the fortress strays dealt with three of the foul beasts. The poor brave thing was wounded though and isn’t expected to survive. It shall be given a coffin.

23rd Granite 206
Found some more Copper down bellow. There seemed to be some exploratory mining going on. I decided to expand on it.

I’ve also ordered large numbers of Rock Blocks made. My ideas for this hill are getting clearer as the days go on.

26th Granite 206
There is a whole line of bedrooms that can only be acsessed by going through everyone else’s bedrooms. Who built this? I’m thinking of installing individual doors and walling of the holes from the other doors. It seems indecent.

7th Slate 206
Want to get a Glass industry started… do we even have a Ashery for potash? I’ll have to ask Monom

8th Slate 206
Apparently the reason for the odd placement of the shops is a aquifer. Good to know.

11th Slate 206
I was hoping to be able to bore a new sub tunnel and drop a section of the main hall and living quarters, so one could finish the moat, but the aquifer will make that highly unfeasible. Not without some extra complications. It simply isn’t worth it. I’ll line the exposed section of wall with traps instead.

13th Slate 206
 The dog that foiled the goblin siege is still alive! Its crawling its way back to the fortress. I’m amazed it’s held on this long. Two of its legs are mangled and its lower body is quite a mess, yet still it lives. If it survives this, I’m training it as a war dog. Its proven its mettle.

16th Slate 206
The dog was killed by one of our stone fall traps. Such a tragedy.

20th Slate 206
The graveyard is getting a little full. I’ve ordered it expanded, and more coffins made. I could probably prevent the quick usage of space by banning the burial of pets, but after the dog, I’m not sure I could bring myself to do it.

21st Slate 206
Immigrants! A taxman and a philosopher, so a two dwarf caravan of useless.

22nd Slate 206
The new taxman is a nervous and guarded fellow. He’s already demanded a bedroom and proper office. I already don’t like him, but a noble is a noble. It’s a good thing we’ve got a spare room, though the Nobles quarters don’t make sense… at all. I’ve got a dining room assigned to one of the former leaders and his wife, IN THE BARON’S ROOM! I may need to look into that, but with any luck, my term will be over without having to take action.

25th Slate 206
Ordered the construction of a couple of Dyer’s workshops. It should increase the value of our budding cloth industry. In other news, we need a potash maker apparently. I would have thought with the large level of idle dwarves that are usually hanging around the zoo, we’d have a few kicking around.

Speaking of zoos, how can so many dwarves find a cage full of musk ox’s so fascinating?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:41:02 am by Rijjka »
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2009, 11:38:42 am »

4th Felsite 206
I may have inadvertently flooded the Magma forges… I’m trying to wall off the water. Several dwarves have been pressed into emergency mason service, but if that doesn’t work I may need to do some obsidian walling from the upper level, which is just going to be all kinds of fun.

5th Felsite 206
Waters spread is slow, but not that slow. NOW IS NOT A TIME FOR A PARTY FOR HALF THE FORTRESS!

6th Felsite 206
Furnace operator has been possessed. Hopefully he’s not looking for a forge. I should probably get a few coal fired ones built until I get the crisis adverted.

28th Felsite 206
Even though it is only a few squares distant, the point I need to bring the magma too seems a long way away. Espicialy when you consider the aquifer between it and me.

----------------------------
Goal for summer?
RECLAIM THE FORGE!
I made a bad cut and clipped the aquifer, in case your wondering.
If I can't reclaim the forge, I'll just have to build a new one, but I would like all the bins and stuff back, thats why reclaim is my first option.

Plan: Seal the aquifer. Then pump the water into the pipe, or wait for it to dry on its own.

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2009, 11:52:50 am »

I know, slow going. It's been a rather crazy week. I've only been home twice. And I'm gone again this weekend. I'm hoping to get most of my turn done after church on sunday. Here's hoping.

Also, Magma sealing the aquifer seems like a bad idea. If I'm quick, I could cause the flooded forge to drain into the aquifer below, and then seal off the little bit in the corner thats acctualy causing the water. Far less dangerous then trying to build a magma drip system and dig through it to the forge.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:57:47 pm by Rijjka »

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2009, 01:37:48 pm »

Mind posting a picture marking the aquifer spot?  If you can't seal it, I'll like to try my hand at it and IIRC, the spot that spawns water doesn't show up from loo'k'. 

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2009, 02:01:16 pm »

There's that corner with the coal, its one tile out from that corner. It's coming from a empty square apparently, or the coal square beside it. there used to be a square of coal, until I made it go away in a act of fail.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:09:25 pm by Rijjka »

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2009, 03:28:12 pm »

Keep up the good work. :D
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2009, 11:29:37 pm »

No worries about the "fail".  This is noob fortress after all.  Someone had to fail sometime...

Besides, I've always wanted a crack at aquifer piercing.  My first thought was to do the underpass you planned and complete the moat outside.  Now I've something less megaproject-ish to do. 

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2009, 11:44:10 pm »

Fear the spike lever!
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2009, 11:46:21 pm »

12th Hematite 206
Busy with the forge, but one of the look outs tell me the humans have sent a diplomat. I’ll have to deal with it; I just hope the miners don’t cave in the whole fort while I’m gone.

14th Hematite 206
Managed to drain the forge enough for the miners to get in. Unfortunately it’s not good news. There is no aquifer on the lower level. I’ve ordered the forge re-sealed, best to cut my losses until I can figure something else out.

15th Hematite
Working on expanding some areas in the lower levels to catch some drainage, I’m hoping to be able to lower the water level enough in the forges to wall off the problem area. But I’m not getting my hopes up. I am prepared to just seal the forge and move on.

10th Malachite 206
Broker won’t go to the depot. Almost a lesser concern, what with all the water.

14th Malachite 206
The possessed furnace operator was killed. He went berserk after his goods couldn’t be found. To be honest, I had forgotten about him. That’s two for two; hopefully the third dwarf to get a strange mood doesn’t end up filling a coffin.

15th Malachite 206
Broker went to the depot; he came away with enough booze and wood to make a flaming tree a mountain high. He said that might be a good idea. I suggested that we deal with the water problem before playing with fire.

We also scored a lot of metal bars, as well as a good supply of meat, nothing like a little variety to a dwarfs diet to add ten pounds straight to the hips.

We traded a bunch of clothing from our humming clothing industry as well as some goblin gear. When we asked them about the goblin gear, they said they had a rather rich collector that wanted the goblin equipment. I’m not one to complain, it mostly sits in inventory until it rots or is melted down, and with the forges as they are, the melted down may wait a bit.

16th Malachite 206
The drainage operations go better then I thought they would. The water level in the forge is almost down enough to build on. I just hope my dwarves can wall that small section faster then the water engulfs it… wait… I’ve had a idea.

17th Malachite 206
I think this could work, the wheels are in motion, we’ll see soon.

Monom, came and showed me the draft trade agreement with the humans, looks like we’re asking for wood, booze, and meat. I’m not sure about booze, because we have 1600 drinks worth now. I told him to lower it, and to ask for some metal bars that we haven’t hit in our mining yet. I told him to throw on a request for some cows, maybe we could get some cheese happening here, if we had a nice caged pair of cows.

20th Malachite 206
Monom tells me that the merchants were happy with the new agreement. They’re asking in return that we get them some leather water skins, headwear, goblets, windows (glass would be needed for that), metal idols, powders, and battle-axes. There was some other stuff, but it hardly seems worth mentioning.

27th Malachite 206
Miners are making good time. We safe from flooding the fortress, not though that was ever a real concern, and at this rate, we’ll have the forge back in no time. Give it another five days, tops, and I think we’ll have it.

4th Galena 206
Moment of truth time, dwarves are working on the retaining wall as we speak.

7th Galena 206
It worked! The forge is saved! Now, we just have to wait for it to drain, and then we’re back to work. I made use of a single floodgate and lever. I deconstructed the lever right after it was clear this worked, so the floodgate won’t open of its own accord.

Lowest three levels of the fort won’t be usable for a while. They’re… a bit damp.

We managed the last bit of drainage by punching a hole in the floor and draining the water from the aquifer into a reservoir below the forge so it couldn’t flood out our construction sites.

14th Galena 206
Meng Tenshedoslan is holding a party. Frankly, I think its well deserved. We all pulled through on this one.

26th Galena 206
Forge has cleared of water. It’s got a few stray puddles, but its down enough to rebuild the forges. I’ve order them all rebuilt. The placement may not match what they were originally, but I tried to make it as intuitive as possible.

I’m thinking of stationing the potash maker in there as well, if we ever get one, to facilitate our glass industry.

1st Limestone 206
It’s autumn. I don’t know that I’ll have time for my original idea to spruce up this hill, but I sure can try.

9th Limestone 206
The river is blood red… A blasted sturgeon claimed the life of one of our dwarfs. And he won’t even be able to get a burial, not so long as his body rests on the riverbed. Blasted fish!

14th Limestone 206
Caravan from the mountain homes has arrived! I’ve ordered our goods brought out to the depot. They should be quite impressed.

On a side note, I notice we haven’t had much in the way of goblin activity. I hope it stays that way, but I won’t be naïve about it.

15th Limestone 206
The Liaison got the grand tour today. He seemed to be somewhat impressed by all we’ve managed to achieve. I tactfully declined his request to see the forges though… its still a bit muddy down there; you wouldn’t believe the humidity!

He asked what we needed from the mountain homes. I’m not sure we are in die need of much anything. I gave a few offers, just so he doesn’t go away empty handed, such as dimple cup seeds for dye, but otherwise, not much. I did ask for some more meat though.

16Th Limestone 206
Monom came in positively glowing. He completed his trade with our fellow dwarves. He says he managed to get ride of most of our goblin goods and managed to grab two whole bins of giant cave spider silk. Our weavers will be able to make some mighty impressive goods out of that.

He also managed to get us a lot more meat and cheese. We are really doing good season. I’m ordering a new food stockpile dug out beside the dining hall.

21st Limestone 206
While the caravan was leaving, a Goblin ambush showed up. The guards made short work of the ambush, but the caravan did loose a trader. I hope this does not reflect poorly on us.

26th Limestone 206
We… have an elf skull totem in the storage room. Some how I’m not surprised. This is the fortress that built ‘elf spikers’

1st Sandstone 206
New month, and I’m noticing a distinct depression among some of the dwarves. With all the idle time they enjoyed before I came, they became very close nit. The death of the dwarf to the sturgeon is rippling more then I’d like to believe possible. The fish injured a cook too, I’m hoping he manages to heal though, we don’t need any more death.

12th Sandstone 206
Our friendly pike slaughtered a whole pack of monkeys. It now has a name. Purgedrill. I’m sure it will get along with the sturgeon Seigeship just fine.

4th Timber 206
First level of my hill enhancement project is complete. Working on the framework for the second level. I hope I can finish before spring, but I’m not sure I can.

11th Timber 206
I discovered a child is in possession of a room. A room with 92 coins as a rent. He’s better paid then some workers I know.

I made a statue garden next to the magma pipe’s top. If the hammerer hasn’t fallen in yet, then I don’t think the other dwarves will.

26th Timber
Wood seems to be a bit of a problem. A month or two ago, we had plenty. Hopefully some traders show up, or I’m going to have to go cut outside the wall.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2009, 07:12:16 am »

Still here. 

Anyone know if there's an underground water feature?  If wood's a problem, we could try for a towercap farm mini-megaproject. 

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2009, 11:40:42 am »

28th Timber 206
Our Dwarves don’t seem to get out much. The construction project is lined in vomit. When the midday sun hits that, it is rank beyond measure, which is something indeed, given our natural aversion to washing.

1st Moonstone 206
Winter is upon us. Not long left in my tenure.

5th Moonstone 206
A horse was killed in our traps. Oh well, meet is always good.

7th Moonstone 206
Heck, our traps killed a whole pack of horses; more leather and meat then. Course reloading the traps is proving a trick with the horse remains still in them.

9th Moonstone 206
We had a section of the scaffolding collapse due to a misinterpretation of work orders. The dwarves apparently thought they were supposed to disassemble the load bearing section of the scaffolding first, not last. It fell through two floors of the soft soil, knocking out dwarves in the workshop, and seriously injuring a fisherdwarf.

He should live, but he is going to be a long time on the mend. He landed bad, on his right leg. Its… its not in a happy place. His knee is broken and everything below it is a bloody mess. He hurt his right arm too, and the lower part of his left leg. He was almost falling feet first when he hit the workshop floor… from three stories up.

10th Moonstone 206
Apparently the falling floor went through one of our stockpiles on the ground floor. There’s bins all over the workshop now, and all over the old stock pile.

15th Moonstone 206
Blah’s wife had a child. They named it Litast.

19th Moonstone 206
Completed another layer of the hill improvement. Its going along nicely, but not fast enough. Block shortages seem to be a hindrance.

Other industries seem to be doing quite well. Fortress wealth is increasing slowly but surely.

26th Moonstone 206
Miners hit some aluminum. That could actually be useful. In other news, we have enough copper to make all kinds of shiny stuff.

1st Opal 206
Well the wood problem is solved. Now what do I do with all of it? Build something out of wood is the obvious answer, but it lacks finesses. Maybe I’ll use it for the construction scaffolding.

Apparently the cave in totaled our clothier’s workshop. I’ve ordered it rebuilt

2nd Opal 206
The mayor is demanding some bronze items. We’ll have to try and secure some bronze come the next trader caravan.

10th Opal 206
The roadway traps are literally filled with monkey corpses.

See?

12th Opal 206
And engraver has been possessed. Hopeful that doesn’t end in tragedy like the last two. We will see of course.

15th Opal 206
So far so good, the possessed engraver is still gathering stuff… oh hang on, Monom stopped by, he tells me he has actually started work now. That’s good to hear. I have a success under my name now, rather then the long run of failures.

I think I may get the philosopher to ponder the effects of dwarven wine on different kinds of barrels. I’m curious, because we’ve got two copper barrels, and one iron barrel. It would be nice to know that its not slowly poisoning us.

However, on the flip side, considering I walked past a pet mule today that had a layer of mud, with a layer of crusty blood over it, and then a layer of dry vomit caked on top of that, I think the booze should be the least of my worries.

17th Opal 206
Why does the tax collector keep demanding we make more quivers? Is he some how unsure that the seven we have will be enough for our four crossbowdwarfs? For a tax collector, he has a remarkably dim grasp on math.

21st Opal 206
I have ordered all farming activities suspended until further notice. Our storage rooms are overflowing with plants and plant related stuff. We don’t need more plants for a long time. I must remember to clue my replacement on to that fact, or they may forget to allow farming again until they all starve.

24th Opal 206
Everyone in this fortress is a comedian. I mean that. Every one I’ve talked to so far is a comedian. These dwarves have had too much free time in the past. And I've got to tell you, they're jokes are intresting. Most of them involve mention of a lever and elves.

8th Obsidian
Who ever made the well using a aquifer, has my… admiration? Yeah, that’s a good word. Anyway, yes, it ensures a never ending, and more or less safe source of water.

9th Obsidian 209
We’ve got some especially gifted kids in this fort. One is a legendary woodcrafter, and is also a master of social aspects of life. Could probably do a better job then me, and he’s welcome to try in about a month.

12th Obsidian 209
The stench of this place is mind altering… It transcends normal dwarven experience to become something otherworldly. I have ordered a soapmaker to work. Maybe the mere presence of soap in the fortress will do something to combat the smell. If not, we can always sell it to the humans or the elves.

13th Obsidian 209
There is a lot of copper in this hill. I do mean, a lot. The next person to this job should have no shortage of copper to work with.

17th Obsidian 209
I think most of the dwarves in the fort have the needed skills to be mayor. Or broker. Or manager.

22nd Obsidian 209
Another layer of the grand construction is complete; the hill is starting to take shape. We’ve also completed the initial set up of the upper floors, but much work still needs to be done.

26th Obsidian 209
My term is rapidly coming to a close. It has been a rewarding and challenging experience. I’m going to start to get everything in order for the next person in line.

30th Obsidian 209
Spring is just around the corner. I’m going to wait for my replacement, and he can tell me what to do as a job when he gets here. I made sure to purge all my outstanding work orders so he or she has a clean slate to start with.

Here is a copy of the ledgers for the new year.

---- ----- ----

Alrighty, that’s my turn done. Fortress is still standing, and has even had some growth. I managed to fix my major blunder, and even started work on a semi-mega project.

I also canceled all my job orders, expect for a few down in the forges involving copper. I’ve also left the mason workshops on Repeat build of blocks, and made the stone stockpiles next to them more useful by changing what was allowed. Have a stockpile stuffed with coal is less useful then one would think.

The mega project in question is a artificial mountain on top of the hill. Its got at least three layers complete, and many more with the ground work started, but its not at half way done yet. See for yourself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, yes those are musk ox’s chained outside the gate. I couldn’t train any dogs, and I thought those chains would look better with something in them. If you manage to train a dog, feel free to replace them.

I think that’s everything.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 02:09:01 pm by Rijjka »

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2009, 12:10:29 pm »

Here's the save.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1436

And here's the link to the version I used with the maydays graphics pack, but it also worked on vanialla so you shouldn't have any problems.

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/index.php

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 24, 2009, 03:46:44 am »

Uh...that's my save.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2009, 10:03:59 am »

From your description, good job.  That tower will come in useful for noble quarters and maybe clothing industry. 

Although growing trees in the moat probably isn't a good idea ;)

###################

Ok, it seems like there's only Rijjka, Jack A T, and me still around. 

So it would seem it's my turn up next, but if anyone asks for it before tomorrow (~20 hours) I'll let them do it. 

###################

Also, Jack's right, you uploaded the wrong save. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17