Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Where Are The Doppelgangers? (Mafia-Style Game) [DAY 3, LASTDAY]  (Read 23115 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where Are The Doppelgangers? (Mafia-Style Game) [DAY 1]
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2009, 11:28:11 am »

Hypothesis A: Quiet players are Doppelgangers Among Us, trying to avoid incriminating themselves.

Hypothesis B: The players most vocal about thinking there are Dopps are the Doppelgangers. They're trying to look clueless through suspicion.

Hypothesis C: People now trying to avoid those extremes are Dopps made nervous by this post.

Welcome to WIFOM world! Population: You!

We should wait 3 days before lynching if we decide to lynch, so yeah. Vote no lynch. Note that Webadict isn't usually wrong about his first guess, so take that however you like.

Also possible as scum is all the lurkers. Seriously, I bet the real dopps are trying to lurk to victory. Come on, speak up, guys!
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2009, 11:32:43 am »

No.
Crap. That makes this statistically less possible then.

Rule Clarification: If Doppelgangers are in fact real, there will be 3 Doppelgangers. Not 2. 3.
This rule is BS. If there are 3 Doppelgangers, that means 1/3 of us are Doppelgangers and not the 25% you claimed (2/9 = 22.2%, 3/9 = 33.3%). This also means there is almost no way to win this game unless there are, in fact, no Doppelgangers, except through pure luck and analysis.

Simply put, there IS a way to at least give us some information. We could've had two people vote each other.

What this does is give us a little information: If one of them is a Doppelganger, then the Doppelganger is lynched. If both are Doppelgangers, neither are lynched. However, if both are human, that means one of them is lynched and we all lose the next day.

So, there's really no way to win by lynching, except if Doppelgangers are real. If they are real, we can win by lynching. However, this makes no sense, since we cannot assume such things. Therefore, there will be no lynching ever in this game. Do not vote to lynch.

If you vote, I will have to kill you, through sheer analysis, questioning, and overbearingness.

You will single-handedly lose the game for us if you vote, and I will make you suffer for doing that. DO NOT INVOKE THE WRATH OF WEBADICT!

Therefore, we're going with analysis and playing this game with what little information we can't gather. Therefore, I'm not claiming this to be more of a guessing game than anything else, and that guess is that Humans exist, since it would totally be like SC to make a game like this to make us assume Dopps exist. As well, he seems to have completely missed the part of himself giving a completely wrong percentage to the Doppelgangers, something I wouldn't assume of him.

So, just a note: Dopps don't exist. This will be my thinking until someone can give a better scenario.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2009, 11:44:40 am »

This rule is BS. If there are 3 Doppelgangers, that means 1/3 of us are Doppelgangers and not the 25% you claimed (2/9 = 22.2%, 3/9 = 33.3%). This also means there is almost no way to win this game unless there are, in fact, no Doppelgangers, except through pure luck and analysis.

Yes, but that's 22.2% Not 25%. I said that the Doppelgangers would have 25%, but I felt only giving them 22.2% was not exactly fair to the Doppelgangers (if they exist), so I gave them an extra person.

I'm sorry. That was stupid of me.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2009, 12:20:59 pm »

Remember, if there are dopps, if we vote to lynch, they lose, period.

Webadict, why are you complaining about there being MORE dopps than SC said there would be? This is a good thing, since we only have to lynch one. Instead of a 2/9 chance of winning on a lynch, we have a 3/9 or 1/3 chance of victory. Actually, factoring in the 2 NK's, we wind up with 2/7 changing to 3/7 if we just randomly lynch. This means that if we lynch randomly every game, we'll win half of them. If we assume dopps aren't real every game, we'll win almost half of them. Since we won't lynch randomly, I think going for the lynch would be a good idea, actually. This isn't even factoring in dopps and 3rd parties not having votes, which is very helpful.

Unless, you guys actually think there are no dopps, in which case lynching would, of course, be a bad idea.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2009, 12:32:45 pm »

Yes, but that's 22.2% Not 25%. I said that the Doppelgangers would have 25%, but I felt only giving them 22.2% was not exactly fair to the Doppelgangers (if they exist), so I gave them an extra person.

Indeed. You just revealed that there are in fact Dopps.

No. That's if we vote to lynch a Dopp, not just to lynch anybody. Which is a 1/3 chance today.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2009, 12:38:06 pm »

Webadict, why are you complaining about there being MORE dopps than SC said there would be? This is a good thing, since we only have to lynch one. Instead of a 2/9 chance of winning on a lynch, we have a 3/9 or 1/3 chance of victory. Actually, factoring in the 2 NK's, we wind up with 2/7 changing to 3/7 if we just randomly lynch. This means that if we lynch randomly every game, we'll win half of them. If we assume dopps aren't real every game, we'll win almost half of them. Since we won't lynch randomly, I think going for the lynch would be a good idea, actually. This isn't even factoring in dopps and 3rd parties not having votes, which is very helpful.

Unless, you guys actually think there are no dopps, in which case lynching would, of course, be a bad idea.
Let's just think about this right now:

LYNCHING IS A BAD IDEA PERIOD BECAUSE THE POINT OF THE GAME IS NOT TO LYNCH THEM BUT TO DETERMINE IF THEY ARE IN EXISTENCE AND THEREFORE LYNCHING IS EXTREMELY STUPID BECAUSE THAT'S DUMB AND ONLY RUINS IT FOR TOWN THEREFORE WE WILL NEVER LYNCH AND THEN WE WILL DETERMINE IF THERE ARE DOPPS BY DAY THREE HOW DOES THAT SOUND APPEALING YES I KNOW I CAME UP WITH IT SO START DETERMINING IF DOPPS EXIST AND NOT ABOUT LYNCHING OKAY BECAUSE IF YOU VOTE TO LYNCH YOU CANNOT POSSIBLY WIN FOR TOWN GOT IT BECAUSE THE CHANCES OF SUCH A THING HELPING US ARE LESS THAN US FLIPPING THE COIN TO DETERMINE IF THERE ARE DOPPS SO HOW ABOUT YOU TRY THAT FIRST AND IF FOR SOME REASON THAT FAILS YOU HOW ABOUT YOU TRY SCUMHUNTING

Indeed. You just revealed that there are in fact Dopps.

No. That's if we vote to lynch a Dopp, not just to lynch anybody. Which is a 1/3 chance today.
Yes, SC did sort of reveal that there are Dopps... And if everyone agrees there are, have Zaithemaster and RedWarrior0 lynch each other.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2009, 12:44:12 pm »

And if everyone agrees there are, have Zaithemaster and RedWarrior0 lynch each other.

Impossible for me. 3rd parties don't get to vote; I'm the Politician. I did my little JFK speech thing as a bit of a hint. This is also the reason I haven't voted yet, even for a no lynch; it would be meaningless for me to do so.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2009, 12:52:18 pm »

And if everyone agrees there are, have Zaithemaster and RedWarrior0 lynch each other.

Impossible for me. 3rd parties don't get to vote; I'm the Politician. I did my little JFK speech thing as a bit of a hint. This is also the reason I haven't voted yet, even for a no lynch; it would be meaningless for me to do so.
Really now? That's a real shame, because that makes you utterly pointless, and everything you say is now moot. Anyone else wanna claim a Third Party role before we start randomly chopping off heads? Because three Third Party roles would certainly be a bad thing for scum to do...

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2009, 02:42:16 pm »

No, sorry. I believe dopps exist, but I'm not going to lynch anyone unless we're sure they're dopp.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2009, 02:48:38 pm »

No, sorry. I believe dopps exist, but I'm not going to lynch anyone unless we're sure they're dopp.
If you believe Dopps exist, you will lynch someone if I tell you to. And you will like it.

Anyhow, I would like to point out that if Zaithemaster dies tonight, there are indeed Doppelgangers.

Also, if Doppelgangers exist, RedWarrior0 is a Doppelganger.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2009, 02:54:49 pm »

If you believe Dopps exist, you will lynch someone if I tell you to. And you will like it.

Anyhow, I would like to point out that if Zaithemaster dies tonight, there are indeed Doppelgangers.

(Note to self: never mess with webadict in a mafia game)

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think I'm a dopp if they exist?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2009, 02:56:24 pm »

DOPP DOPP DOPP.

Dopps ask that question!  I'm on to you!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2009, 02:59:18 pm »

This is looking to me like Webadict just wants a lynch gone wrong. Maybe Webadict and RedWarrior0 should cross-vote, if anyone, because I feel strongly that one of the 2 is a dopp.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2009, 03:00:00 pm »

webadict is Joker.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2009, 03:03:28 pm »

There are several reasons. One is simple intuition. The others are purely observational. Why do you think you're not a Dopp?

Oh really Mr.Person? You gonna play that game, are you?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12