Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Just how bad is ... fire ... exactly?  (Read 2068 times)

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: Just how bad is ... fire ... exactly?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 07:13:29 am »

Fire Imps are no match at all. Whenever i embark on a map with magma i just equip one of my dwarves with a crossbow and station him near the magma pipe/pool.

Heck, they've survived a direct hit from a fireball before.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 01:32:18 pm »

Fire Imps are no match at all. Whenever i embark on a map with magma i just equip one of my dwarves with a crossbow and station him near the magma pipe/pool.

Heck, they've survived a direct hit from a fireball before.

When mine are hit directly, they always burn to death instantly.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 02:29:12 pm »

Tough dwarves sometimes survive long enough to dive into water... or just survive.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 02:29:46 pm »

Water doesn't do carp.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 02:33:05 pm by Phantom »

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 04:09:16 pm »

Tough dwarves sometimes survive long enough to dive into water... or just survive.

That brings up a good point. What do burning dwarves try to do? Apart from go to sleep and set their bed and fortress on fire?

Seriously ... would they have sense to take stairs down to a 2/7 or 3/7 water supply to put the fire out? Is this observed behavior?
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 04:10:38 pm »

that's exactly the problem. if your champion is shaking off the fire like it's nothing then he can walk around for a long time on fire. also, I'd suggest not fighting outside, afireball can light the entire landscape on fire leaving you with no logs and a bunch of ashes.

I don't think that dwarves modify their behavior because of fire. It's just buisness as usual until they die.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:12:31 pm by taf_esra »

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 04:11:54 pm »

Seriously ... would they have sense to take stairs down to a 2/7 or 3/7 water supply to put the fire out? Is this observed behavior?
Hmm, this gives me an idea. Perhaps if you put a small passable "trench" of 3/7 water in the corridor between the magma pipe and the rest of the fort. Would that work?
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 05:18:28 pm »

Pretty much, but if you make it too deep they'll refuse to go in it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 06:18:25 pm »

Am I right in thinking that Firemen are horrificly deadly while fire imps suck?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 06:53:44 pm »

I've had a miner bash a fireman over the head when interupted, no issues at all, as far as I'm concerned, all the magma pipe creatures are wimps.

If you want to know what's fun about fire, mod in [IGNITE_POINT:10] in a creature of your choice, and they will instantly burst into flame. This works great when one of them is in the booze stockpile.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 08:35:07 pm »

I thought fire man had no pain and a bunch of other irritating tags which meant they'd keep fighting and throwing their firey balls everywhere for a while.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 08:49:05 pm »

Fire imps aren't too dangerous but I have certainly lost dwarves to them. The Fire men and magma men on the other hand have never even ventured out of the magma pipe on my maps so I can only guess that they are more dangerous with fire men being the worst (magma men don't throw fireballs). I usually use crossbows to deal with magma pipe critters easy enough.

On the topic of dangerous magma pipes I've recently modded it so that Fire Imps breed.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 10:31:11 pm »

Am I right in thinking that Firemen are horrificly deadly while fire imps suck?

Yep, I tried to pit one into a bottomless pit and ended up simply releasing it, the dwarf assigned to it falling into the pit, and then an endless attempting to 'release creature' when the thing is already out! I tried sending a recruit with an axe and the best armor I had (some plate and some leather) thinking the plate would protect the recruit to an extent. That failed, so I sent my woodcutter after it with some leather armor and he chopped the thing in half basically.

@XSI: That miner probably got lucky, but then again, a pick, which isn't a particularily strong weapon on it's o0wn, is a deadly weapon in the hands of a highly skilled miner. Heck, I had a miner pratically one shot a giant leopard by slamming the pick into it's chest. The wounds showed that it's chest had pretty much been crushed It wasn't an instant kill, but it did die quickly of blood loss.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 11:01:04 pm »

Checking the raws, the pickaxe does 70 piercing damage. The thing is a close combat crossbow. Possibly the most effective of the six weapons your dwarves can wield, especially since it has no stuck chance like spears. If there were a miner's guild rebellion I'd order the military back to barracks and give them what they want right away.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 07:08:46 am »

Who said magma creatures were wimps? You should try Teldin's creaturepack if you want more FunTM. It has phoenixes, magma spiders (flamey GCS) Giant magma spiders (dragons with 8 legs and no pain) and a bunch of other critters. I once met a zombie giant magma spider, it killed EVERYTHING.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3