Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Multiple task related bugs.  (Read 449 times)

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Multiple task related bugs.
« on: August 12, 2009, 02:08:00 pm »

First of all, hi, I've been playing this game for a while and decided to register to the forums.

Anyway, the problem I keep getting is that when I order a trade depot to build my architect somehow never feels like designing the building, even though he has nothing to do. All he does is hang around the meeting area and drink and eat. This keeps happening and it's really frustrating to have an unfinished depot standing around for two seasons and having it completed just when the first caravan leaves.
The second problem has got to do with the fishery, it seems my fisherdwarf never wants to do anything but fish, even when I turn fishing off in his list of labors. My dwarves keep dieing from starvation because my fisherdwarf doesn't prepare the fish when I tell him to.
Another problem is the farmer's workshop, it just stands around and doesn't get constructed. I have all the materials for it etc. it just doesn't get constructed by my dwarves.

These problems keep coming back in every game I start, it happened with older versions as well.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:35:58 pm by Mapleleaf »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Multiple task related bugs.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:05:07 am »

Resetting a labor does not cancel the current task. Fishing usually takes a while to complete. If you want to cancel a task in progress, you have to draft and undraft the dwarf. It makes the dwarf unhappy, and is rarely neccecary. I usually assign one/several dude/s to do the cruddy jobs like fish preparing, butchering, hauling etc. Having a fisherman or a hunter/woodcutter/plant gatherer etc and expect them to process their gathered resources is a waste of time, they will usually always choose to do the gathering part.

As for the other problems im not sure. Sometimes the building gets suspended for some reason, let's say theres an item blocking the site, you then need to re-activate the building in order for it to be completed. Sometimes it 'slips the mind' of dwarves, and you may get them to remember the task by suspending it manually then activating it. Then there's always the issue with making sure that the dwarf in question has the labor in question needed to construct the building. You can check out what profession is needed for the next stage by checking out the building.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:21:19 am »

First of all, hi, I've been playing this game for a while and decided to register to the forums.

Anyway, the problem I keep getting is that when I order a trade depot to build my architect somehow never feels like designing the building, even though he has nothing to do. All he does is hang around the meeting area and drink and eat. This keeps happening and it's really frustrating to have an unfinished depot standing around for two seasons and having it completed just when the first caravan leaves.
The second problem has got to do with the fishery, it seems my fisherdwarf never wants to do anything but fish, even when I turn fishing off in his list of labors. My dwarves keep dieing from starvation because my fisherdwarf doesn't prepare the fish when I tell him to.
Another problem is the farmer's workshop, it just stands around and doesn't get constructed. I have all the materials for it etc. it just doesn't get constructed by my dwarves.

These problems keep coming back in every game I start, it happened with older versions as well.

Am I allowed to ask you a question?
1. do you have the Building designer/architecture and depending on building material either capentry/masonry/metalsmithing skill active on any of your dwarves so that they can actually build the Trade depot.
2. IIRC a fishery workshop requires 1 of 3 skills te build namely fishing/fish cleaning/fish dissection, do any of your dwarfs have the other 2 skills besides fishing? (Job Requirement
Fish Cleaning )
3. As for the farmers workshop, does any of your dwarfs have the plant processing skill... (Job Requirement
Plant processing, Milking, Cheese making )

When in doubt press q and move over the building, you will see required skill for it to be build

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 06:27:29 am »

I have a mason/building designer, a grower/gatherer, a fisherdwarf/cleaner/dissector and a carpenter/woodcutter.

The problem isn't that it doesn't get built, the problem is that it gets build a year after I give the order to have it built, they start building it ages after I put down the "construction area". Even when I turn off all other jobs they have, they still won't do it and they'll stand around saying "No-job"
It's almost like they need some kind of mystic impulse for them to start work on any of those buildings. It's weird that it doesn't happen with other buildings though, like for instance a mechanist's workshop just gets built the second I tell them to build it.