Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some map help  (Read 725 times)

dragonflare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some map help
« on: August 12, 2009, 01:25:52 pm »

I recently found a pretty good site, (evil, HFS, underground river, flux, bauxite, magnetite, magma pipe, undead spider (zombie unfortunately), bottomless pit ..... in a 3x3 area)

but unfortunately, there is no sand. Is there anyway I can make sand appear on the map? I'm using the latest version.

Do programs like tweak work on the latest versions?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Some map help
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 02:23:27 pm »

edit the soil raws, add the sand tag to a soil which appears in the area. I always do this for any soil that has sand in its name, even if it doesn't really work that way in reality (although cleaning dirty sand is possible with dwarftech).
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 02:31:28 pm »

May I say something?

Sometimes there is sand underneath the grass. You just have to trample it first.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:36:09 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:24:01 pm by Stany »

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 06:04:18 pm »

Along with infinite power generation, matter annihilation and thermonuclear bins. Essentially, dwarves surpass our technology by about 500 years.

You forgot perpetual motion machines.

But don't forget that they lack the... advances necessary to pour booze into a bucket.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 06:19:16 pm »

May I say something?

Sometimes there is sand underneath the grass. You just have to trample it first.

Nope, the only thing underneath the grass is whatever soil the biome happens to have. If the embark screen doesn't list sand, then you don't get sand.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 06:56:36 pm »

Along with infinite power generation, matter annihilation and thermonuclear bins. Essentially, dwarves surpass our technology by about 500 years.

You forgot perpetual motion machines.

But don't forget that they lack the... advances necessary to pour booze into a bucket.

Don't forget about fishing without fishing poles. And being able to make a clock that relies only on water and mechanics. And being able to make booze out of mushrooms. And being able to control the mighty element of magma with extreme ease and Funtm
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 07:01:13 pm »

All true, but they have failed at making a functioning beer mug. Priorities right?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 10:45:49 pm »

They have got mugs but prefer to dunk their entire heads into the beer barrels.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 07:04:23 am »

Mugs are inefficient. Therefore they do not belong in borg Dwarven society. Long tubes leading straight to the barrels are efficient.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 07:10:47 am »

Dwarves don't use mugs to drink beer, they just put a handle on the side of a barrel.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 09:52:50 am »

Back on topic: by latest version do you mean the OpenGL/SDL branch 40d13, or Toady's latest release 40d?  Tweak works for the latter, but probably not the former.  Your best bet is to just give it a try.

I've changed tiles to sand in 40d using Tweak, so I know it works for that version.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.