Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A 'ding' upon announcement.  (Read 523 times)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A 'ding' upon announcement.
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:13:00 am »

Simple, really. I often run DF minimised so I can browse the interwebs at the same time, and I often have large projects running so that even with 100ish Dwarves I rarely have any idlers. Every now and then I switch back to it, to see if things have gone horribly wrong.

What I'm after is that, upon an announcement that pauses the game, for a simple little 'ding' sound (or whatever) is made, so that I don't have to check up on my Dwarves every two seconds to make sure they aren't being complete idiots, and am alerted whenever something significant happens. I'm not really sure if something like this would be relevant to other people, though.

And whilst I'm making boorish demands, options to filter what gets announced and what pauses the game would be nice (yes, my Miners, I know you've found wet stone, how lovely for you. NOW BACK TO WORK)

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: A 'ding' upon announcement.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:24:00 am »

That would be fine and dandy for:

*Ding!*
You have struck gypsum!

However, prepare for a cathedral of notes when this happens:

*Dii-di-di-di-di-di-di-di-di-di-di-*
Urist McHauler cancels haul stone: interrupted by groundhog x50

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: Duke 2.0 ]

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 06:28:00 am »

Yeah, but like I said, it'd only be for things that actually pause the game (like a Siege, cave-ins, damp stone) For things that just announce but don't really stop gameplay, then it wouldn't 'ding'.

Otherwise yeah, your soundcard would have a seizure every time a Deer wanders past your Fort entrance   ;)

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »

lmao  That'd give me a legit excuse to get a new computer though  ;)

Wonderful idea, since I tend to be doing other things as well (watching my son) and having it let me know something's happened would be a very nice way of keeping me from being utterly lost when I look back to the comp

Demon of Darkness

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »

Actually, if it was a random tone, it might not be so bad.
Course, it sounds perfectly simple and easy to make a use of the Sound/Music Menu:
code:

---      Announcement Ding Tone: Random/Fixed
---      Announce On:            All/Important/None
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
(^Volume Control)

If that were the case, a symphony of announcements would make a fun pseudo-song.
If you've ever seen a Random Note Generator (as compared to the Random Name Generator, har har) you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
I was also thinking there's the possibility of the main "riff" of Xepher (0:47-1:10) by Tatsh to be reproducible using a stream of announcements...  An interesting suggestion, to say the least...  I like it  :D
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries