Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquatic goblins??  (Read 1524 times)

lordsigmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquatic goblins??
« on: August 12, 2009, 05:39:28 am »

Ok, I've made myself a massive goblin drowning pool. My fortress main entrance is in the middle of an island I made and when I raise the bridgest to the island, the only way in is through a long spiralling passageway, floored with retractable bridges over a 4 z-level deep pit that I can flood the bottom of.

Now this has worked fine over the first few ambushes I had, 5-6 goblins at a time, drowned to death. But I just had my first siege (7 years in lol, was beginning to think they never would) and along came about 30 goblins, all of whom I dropped into the watery depths.Unfortunately, even with the water at 7/7, about 11 of them aren't drowning :/ and I have no idea why. Image of the situation below:

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Aquatic goblins??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:42:24 am »

They might have some swimming skill, if they do then they need a roof directly over their heads to drown. If they still don't drown even with a roof directly above them, it may be part of a larger problem...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

lordsigmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 05:45:43 am »

At the moment my cistern that holds the water before it goes into the drowning chamber is only big enough to flood it 1 level deep, if I made it bigger and flooded the z-level above too might that help if theyre swimmers?

It's not the end of the world, I do have a small army I can send in there to kill the rest once I pump out the water, and its taken a big chunk out of an otherwise nasty invading horde, I was just hoping to be able to kill anything with my entrance trap :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:48:48 am by lordsigmund »

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 05:47:08 am »

If you flooded the level above them then yes, I think that it would drown them. The game can't swim creatures "up" yet.

But the usual solution to this problem is magma. Dump magma in, get obsidian encased goblins. Mine obsidian out, place goblins on display in great hall. Kinda like Han Solo.

lordsigmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 05:49:51 am »

If you flooded the level above them then yes, I think that it would drown them. The game can't swim creatures "up" yet.

But the usual solution to this problem is magma. Dump magma in, get obsidian encased goblins. Mine obsidian out, place goblins on display in great hall. Kinda like Han Solo.

Unfortunately that would destroy all the lovely gifts they bring me :D Plus, on a map with no flux, theyre one of my few sources of steel for those pesky noble demands.

EDIT: Haha, problem solved, I put a 1/7 layer of water onto the z-level above and they all started flashing blue. Success, thanks guys.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 06:06:02 am »

I think the lesson here is: make drowning moats 2 z-levels deep.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 06:20:24 am »

I once had a donkey from a caravan that never drowned. It was from a... somewhat failed attempt of drowning a human caravan. Everything drowned, but I forgot that the drowning pit went straight to the moat so I was unable to collect the loots. after 5-6 years, it's still in there, just hanging out.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

lordsigmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 06:20:51 am »

Yeah, but to flood a level 1006 squares large to 7/7, I already have a pretty large cistern lol. Expanding it by 167 squares on the bottom level now.

lordsigmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 06:42:00 am »

Update: OK, half drowned with more water, but the rest are submerged and not drowning lol. Oh god, aquatic goblins ><

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 08:23:31 am »

Means they've got some swimming skill, and are learning more paddling around in there, so the longer you leave them in there the better they'll get and the tougher they'll be.

This is why we use magma to separate goblinite from it's fleshy bearers.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 10:11:45 am »

This gives me an excellent idea to train up my crossbowdwarves in swimming, and stationing in a moat whenver sieges come. It'd be like being attacked by carp with crossbows!
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 01:36:33 pm »

I believe metal survives nicely in obsidian, and since you are doing water first, you'll probably allso get plenty of xXbonesXx as well.

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 01:51:29 pm »

I had a whole horde of orcs get trapped in the sewer system that supplied my drowning chamber once. They swam about 50 tiles to a little room with enough headspace for them to breath, then just started hanging out. I immediately retired that portion of the sewer system and made the room they were in the bottom of a trash pit. They then proceeded to spend the rest of eternity treading water in an aquatic dumpster. This made me happy.
This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!

lordsigmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 10:50:56 am »

Ok, second siege (of 78 invaders, including 2 elf hammer lords and a goblin spearlord who came onto the map with a missing leg and unconcious ><) successsfully drowned by my entrance trap. Decided to fill the bottom BEFORE dropping them in this time. Worked a treat.