Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Drowning  (Read 2482 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Drowning
« on: August 12, 2009, 03:05:17 am »

Is there a way to know how many turns an adventurer can spend drowning before he dies?

I suppose it depends on speed (one turn less time) and toughness (more time without air), but I can only give rough estimates. Untrained adventurer seems to last only 5-6 turns, and an extremely tough one managed to survive for about 40. The swimming skill would also be handy, since it increases your speed underwater. Gonna make more tests, but maybe someone has more experience to share?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Drowning
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 03:09:30 am »

Is there a way to know how many turns an adventurer can spend drowning before he dies?

I suppose it depends on speed (one turn less time) and toughness (more time without air), but I can only give rough estimates. Untrained adventurer seems to last only 5-6 turns, and an extremely tough one managed to survive for about 40. The swimming skill would also be handy, since it increases your speed underwater. Gonna make more tests, but maybe someone has more experience to share?
My experience with water can best be described as: "I don't like it."

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 04:43:55 am »

I know this has been asked a couple of times but i am still stupified how the drowning system works... i have novice swimming skill, still i drown.

Do i drown because i am too heavy or ... ?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 08:00:16 am »

You'll need at least [no adjective] swimmer skill to survive being thrown forcefully into water.

If you only have novice swimming and you fall into water, you will drown - you have no chance to survive make your time. (are zero wing references out of style? Meh.)

You can train it up by carefully stepping into a pool of water and swimming for a bit.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:15:58 am »

You need to go to a beach, where there are slopes into the sea.  Walk around a bit then get out before you drown.  Repeat.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:07:09 am »

You need to go to a beach, where there are slopes into the sea

Hmm I havn't seen that yet.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 10:13:25 am »

If you decide to swim in a lake make sure you don't swim in it as the year approaches winter, or you could end up frozen to death in the lake.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 10:24:40 am »

Or, more likely, when night is about to begin.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 11:14:42 am »

If you decide to swim in a lake make sure you don't swim in it as the year approaches winter, or you could end up frozen to death in the lake.

Well swimming in a very hot location may help. As well as sneaking while your swimming (and Crouching at the same time)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 12:38:24 pm »

Well swimming in a very hot location may help.
Its a well known fact that you will never drown in magma

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 03:08:36 pm »

You need to go to a beach, where there are slopes into the sea

Hmm I havn't seen that yet.
Has to be next to the sea, not a lake.  Ignore the waves, they only kill wagons.

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 03:44:19 pm »

So there is no safe level for making a water escape? you could drown at expert swimmer? (if thrown or dodge forcefully)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 04:44:08 pm »

So there is no safe level for making a water escape? you could drown at expert swimmer? (if thrown or dodge forcefully)
Well, since you can't get out of the water, yes.  Falling into a dried up lake is equally fatal if you are being watched by an enemy.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 05:20:04 pm »

Well, since you can't get out of the water, yes.  Falling into a dried up lake is equally fatal if you are being watched by an enemy.

I survived that by killing the enemy ( a bear) by throwing my socks at it

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 05:21:00 pm »

Hehe, well, there's only so many items of clothing you can throw...
Pages: [1] 2